Poll: Google is forcing me to create an account with them to use my youtube account.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
BobRedshirt said:
Are they making that phone number thing mandatory now? As I remember it, that was simply an option.

It will not let me get away without giving it, am I being singled out?

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
AccursedTheory said:
Flishiz said:
It's their site. Don't see why integration should be a problem when they just want to centralize everything.
Ah.

Common Sense Post is Victorious.
How does integration involve me as you call it common sense?

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Revolutionary said:
I had the same problem until I realised I could bypass this by clicking on the youtube icon in the top left-hand corner.
That unfortunately does not work for me.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Easily Forgotten said:
Why am I the first one to vote yes to the poll?

...Really, you're getting pissy over this? They give you an option to sign up for a gmail account just for that with any other email you have; I signed up for mine with a yahoo.com address, and it worked fine. I ended up transferring my account to my gmail.com account anyway.

Google does own YouTube. I hope that a nicer way to say "get the fuck over it" while still conveying the attitude will arise someday. Until then, "get the fuck over it" will work for me.

Chancie said:
Yeah, I know that, but it doesn't mean I have to like it. -shrug- Can't really think of anyone that actually does like the google-account-linking thing.
I like it.
Honestly dude, I am not going to bother discussing with you. Not because you disagree with me which I am OK with but your approach to it.

ShadowKatt

Mar 19, 2009
Google forces you to register with them, the escapist forces you to wade through their ads to view the site. Maybe....

...it's a conspiracy!!!

Meh, I don't care. I just wish the escapist would remove the splash adds on every. single. god. damn. page.

I can't even check my messages without being bombarded with ads now.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
benzooka said:
Google owns YouTube, so why not?

At first I dismissed the recommendations, but as they got more aggressive now, I just joined one Google account to it. There's no harm. I only have an YouTube account to view all the content (except the ones which are blocked because apparently the country I live in is a bad place for record companies) and to be able to save videos to favorites.

What is slightly peculiar, is that apparently you can login to almost anywhere with a Facebook account.

Oh, and this guy already killed the thread:
Flishiz said:
It's their site. Don't see why integration should be a problem when they just want to centralize everything.
Enough with thread killed, everybody still has a right to keep posting their opinions and comments. One point of view or opinion is not always valid under every circumstance or situation. I acknowledge that they can do whatever the hell they want but that does not mean I cannot question, oppose, or generally dislike what they did. What I personally see this is an attempt to make you switch services. Maybe some potential benefits, but I still do not want to be apart of it. What is the point of opening a google account if I will never use and wish to keep my phone number anonymous not matter the reputation of the site?

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Skywolf09 said:
Revolutionary said:
I had the same problem until I realised I could bypass this by clicking on the youtube icon in the top left-hand corner.
^^This^^

That, and I'm sure there's a little button that says you can skip the process. The only downside to this all is that it tries to remind you every time you log in, but that's a small price to pay for being able to use your YouTube account without problem.
Sorry none of the above work and it specifically says and I quote: "You will no longer be able to sign in to YouTube without a Google Account.
If you do not want to link this YouTube account, you can sign out here." End Quote:

Lord Devius

Aug 5, 2010
Saulkar said:
What is the point of opening a google account if I will never use and wish to keep my phone number anonymous not matter the reputation of the site?
Don't deal with me as you wish, but where the hell are you getting the idea that your phone number wouldn't be anonymous? I'm honestly curious and confused by this point.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
ShadowKatt said:
Google forces you to register with them, the escapist forces you to wade through their ads to view the site. Maybe....

...it's a conspiracy!!!

Meh, I don't care. I just wish the escapist would remove the splash adds on every. single. god. damn. page.

You can ignore adds, you cannot ignore a mandatory subscription to google if you want to keep using your youtube account.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Easily Forgotten said:
Saulkar said:
What is the point of opening a google account if I will never use and wish to keep my phone number anonymous not matter the reputation of the site?
Don't deal with me as you wish, but where the hell are you getting the idea that your phone number wouldn't be anonymous? I'm honestly curious and confused by this point.
How are you confused? I have signed up with websites like ebay that demand a number to be authenticated then the same or next day I am getting hourly automated telemarketers despite the "Privacy Policy", nuff said.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
burningdragoon said:
Specifically to the poll question: Legitmate? yes. Right? It's not right or wrong, just a company doing what it thinks is best for its stuff.
I just wish they would actually ask first with something like a poll. Bad enough they keep creating bad layouts that take forever and a day to get used to before they change it again.

Lord Devius

Aug 5, 2010
Saulkar said:
How are you confused? I have signed up with websites like ebay that demand a number to be authenticated then the same or next day I am getting hourly automated telemarketers despite the "Privacy Policy", nuff said.
...Well, good thing Google isn't fucking eBay.

No phone number required. Hell, they GAVE me a phone number via Google Voice. 'nuff said.

ShadowKatt

Mar 19, 2009
Saulkar said:
ShadowKatt said:

...it's a conspiracy!!!

You can ignore adds, you cannot ignore a mandatory subscription to google if you want to keep using your youtube account.
You're right, since they're both owned by the same company, you really can't, but I also can't find anything LEGALLY wrong with it. Morally, they're changing the rules in the middle of the game, but then their answer is simply don't play. We don't need you as a customer.

Benkin Manfish

Apr 16, 2010
I would say that when i made a google account, for unrelated reasons last year the phone number wasn't manatory, maybe that's changed , maybe it hasn't.
Either way i think that at the end of the day Google owns you tube and its their right to ask for extra verification if they want. before we get caught up in the whole orwelian dystopian mindset lets remember that Google is providing this service for FREE at a LOSS with minim advertising, its a privilege to use it not a right, so perhaps look at this new measure as simply part of the price you have to pay so that Google can continue to provide the service.

Aug 25, 2009
1. Their company, their product, you don't like it go somewhere else, as with any other product and company. Google is not the only search engine and youtube not the only videosharing site.

Do they require a phone number now? I've had a Google account for a little over six months now and they didn't require one when I signed up. You'll just have to make a choice about whether paranoia wins out over your desire to share in the youtube community.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
Just give them a false phone number. They only verify via email. They never ACTUALLY call, nor do they check the phone number. Just make a once-off hotmail account which you never plan to use again, then use that email to make a google account, then never use that email account.

It is annoying, surely, but that's the price we pay. Google likes to keep track of its users - it's how it makes money. Now, I don't like Google keeping track of me either, so I use an account that I never use except for registering other accounts. It's really useful to have such an email account.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Risingblade said:
Don't they make an account for you based on your youtube profile? They started this last year and didn't require a phone number. Maybe It's a way to try to limit new trolls?
That would be a side-effect. The main reason, methinks, is so that it will become easier to directly issue Cease and Desists from companies who might be unhappy with you using their copyrighted material (which is very, VERY common on youtube).

It's easier if they can just call offenders directly.

Just my guess anyway.