Poll: Google is forcing me to create an account with them to use my youtube account.

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
Saulkar said:
burningdragoon said:
Specifically to the poll question: Legitmate? yes. Right? It's not right or wrong, just a company doing what it thinks is best for its stuff.
I just wish they would actually ask first with something like a poll. Bad enough they keep creating bad layouts that take forever and a day to get used to before they change it again.
Well... I never said it wasn't annoying, cuz it was.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Benkin Manfish said:
I would say that when i made a google account, for unrelated reasons last year the phone number wasn't manatory, maybe that's changed , maybe it hasn't.
Either way i think that at the end of the day Google owns you tube and its their right to ask for extra verification if they want. before we get caught up in the whole orwelian dystopian mindset lets remember that Google is providing this service for FREE at a LOSS with minim advertising, its a privilege to use it not a right, so perhaps look at this new measure as simply part of the price you have to pay so that Google can continue to provide the service.
God damn you made the most sense out of anybody who disagreed with me, without swearing even! I can understand where you are going with this but I still personally have no reason to make a google account, it will sit in the corner with me credentials on it and that will make me feel uncomfortable. I personally know what it is liked to have an inactive account hijacked. So until I see any real benefits worth my time besides what I have already it appears that I will not be using youtube anymore. I still am miffed about not giving people the choice to revert to a previous version of the interface.
Guess I lied about not using youtube anymore but I personally do not buy that it is "JUST" for added security.

Edit: I forgot to mention that when I did try to create an account it refused to let me continue when I left the area to enter my phone number blank. Is this a glitch?

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Atmos Duality said:
Risingblade said:
Don't they make an account for you based on your youtube profile? They started this last year and didn't require a phone number. Maybe It's a way to try to limit new trolls?
That would be a side-effect. The main reason, methinks, is so that it will become easier to directly issue Cease and Desists from companies who might be unhappy with you using their copyrighted material (which is very, VERY common on youtube).

It's easier if they can just call offenders directly.

Just my guess anyway.
Hmm, that sounds reasonable.

Nimzar

Nov 30, 2009
Google owns Youtube so this really shouldn't be a problem.

Also, I just created another Google account (by creating another Gmail account). I didn't have to give a phone number or any other e-mail address.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Korolev said:
Just give them a false phone number. They only verify via email. They never ACTUALLY call, nor do they check the phone number. Just make a once-off hotmail account which you never plan to use again, then use that email to make a google account, then never use that email account.

It is annoying, surely, but that's the price we pay. Google likes to keep track of its users - it's how it makes money. Now, I don't like Google keeping track of me either, so I use an account that I never use except for registering other accounts. It's really useful to have such an email account.
So they do not verify? Hmmmm. Reason I ask is because several people said they created one without ever giving their phone number but it refuses to let me past without giving mine.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Nimzar said:
Also, I just created another Google account (by creating another Gmail account). I didn't have to give a phone number or any other e-mail address.
When did you do this because while it does force me to give another email address it is preventing me from going through without giving a phone number.

2012 Wont Happen

Aug 12, 2009
I just made the account when this came up. Didn't take long.

It annoyed me, but I just set my new password to an anti-Google phrase, and that alleviated most of my frustration at having lost two minutes of my time.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
MelasZepheos said:
1. Their company, their product, you don't like it go somewhere else, as with any other product and company. Google is not the only search engine and youtube not the only videosharing site.

Do they require a phone number now? I've had a Google account for a little over six months now and they didn't require one when I signed up. You'll just have to make a choice about whether paranoia wins out over your desire to share in the youtube community.
I have had an inactive email account jacked before in 2009 so no it is not paranoia. Asshole used it to jack my xboxlive account as a result.

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
I'm having the same problem right now with Bulletstorm. Fucking liars; you need GFWL to play the single player too. Hilariously it will still claim it's only for the multiplayer even while it prevents you from getting to the main menu until you sign in. Even more hilariously (and getting dangerously close to off topic) when it updates it says I need to quit the game to finish the update, which I can't do the normal way since I can't get to the main menu to hit the quit button. And GFWL just works like shit in general too (I can't get it to work, it just shits out every time I try to activate it). Yeah, I know how you feel, probably even worse.

Sandytimeman

Brain Freeze...yay!
Jan 14, 2011
while annoying. I don't really care after awhile. I kinda like being able to link in various things to central hubs of my activity. So Google now takes care of my blogging, email, voicemail, and youtube. And Facebook takes care of just about everything else. Except for the Escapist which is awesome enough to warrant its own account.

DarthFennec

May 27, 2010
Just make a Google account, it takes about four seconds. Personally I'm glad that Google is centralizing their services, it makes a lot more sense than having separate accounts for Gmail and Youtube. That would be like us Escapists having to make one account for the forums, and a completely different account for groups/PMs/badges/etc. It just doesn't make sense.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
archvile93 said:
I'm having the same problem right now with Bulletstorm. Fucking liars; you need GFWL to play the single player too. Hilariously it will still claim it's only for the multiplayer even while it prevents you from getting to the main menu until you sign in. Even more hilariously (and getting dangerously close to off topic) when it updates it says I need to quit the game to finish the update, which I can't do the normal way since I can't get to the main menu to hit the quit button. And GFWL just works like shit in general too (I can't get it to work, it just shits out every time I try to activate it). Yeah, I know how you feel, probably even worse.
Yup. Windows live is shit and by forcing you to eat shit you treat it like shit. Steam on the other hand is not as bugged up the ass but STILL has issues of its own.

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
Saulkar said:
archvile93 said:
Yup. Windows live is shit and by forcing you to eat shit you treat it like shit. Steam on the other hand is not as bugged up the ass but STILL has issues of its own.
That's true about steam, but it gets many more points than GFWL because it doesn't run so badly that it gives me a desire to personally torture to death everyone who had a hand in creating it and everyone who put it in their games. Bulletstorm was the first game I ever bought that needed it, and will definately be the last. Probably be the last game I will ever get that Epic was involved with. They've really gone downhill since they whored themselves out to the Xbox worse than CoD.

zarix2311

Dec 15, 2010
I don't like it at all, but unfortunatly because google bought youtube I don't think it's violating anything.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
DarthFennec said:
Just make a Google account, it takes about four seconds. Personally I'm glad that Google is centralizing their services, it makes a lot more sense than having separate accounts for Gmail and Youtube. That would be like us Escapists having to make one account for the forums, and a completely different account for groups/PMs/badges/etc. It just doesn't make sense.
I am pretty adverse to it because I will never use it and have already had an inactive account jacked and my xboxlive and steam accounts jacked as a result because it rejected my normal email account. Will I suffer the same thing with youtube plus even though other people say they do not experience the same problem it is requesting I give my phone number and refuses to let me continue without entering, either it is a glitch or I am being singled out?

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Kalezian said:
Chancie said:
What I do to get around that? I'll log in and when it brings me to the "connect to Google" page, I go to a different site, then go back to YouTube. I'm already logged in and it doesn't force you to connect to Google. Solved! :D

Regardless, it's still stupid and I hate it. -_-

I think you can simply hit "not right now", or "remind me later" or something of equivalent.

OT: lets face it people, we use google for almost everything these days regardless of what we do on the internet, google has some part of everything.

Map apps for websites being a perfect example.

I do think it is a major invasion of privacy for something as simple as wanting to watch youtube poops and cats wearing hats, but there isnt really much we can do about it since Google owns youtube.

Am I pissed off at it? yes, I dont want to link with Google on my youtube account, nor do I want to give my phone number out to a company just so I can comment on stupid videos on the internet, but I am still pissed off at the layout change.

one rage at a time for me.

EDIT: as of my vote, the results are

32 yes

32 no

6 google is my baby

6 google must burn

6 comment:

an omen?
I guess people are divided upon experience or simply do not care. Dunno at this point. The most common comment seems to be hate it but deal with it. Herm...

little.09

Jul 21, 2009
well youtube is a google owned website, they can do whatever they want with it, and as far as i know adding a phone number number isnt mandatory. and really if you don't like it there are always other video sharing websites that you can use.