Poll: Hard choice

kitabatake12

Jun 30, 2014
After playing the games you recommended me and pretty much that (nice games btw), I am again in that moment where I choose a game.
I am interested in FPS genre...
I like to play stealth mode but you never know. Maybe a stealth genre? (I forgot to add it in the poll)
I don't want old games, mostly 2010+.
Thanks

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Wolfenstein: the new order. It's a very solid FPS, with a mix of old school and new age . You can play it rambo style , or james bond style( somewhat stealthy). I found it very fun, and i don't even like FPS that much anymore.

kitabatake12

Jun 30, 2014
I just finished Spec Ops: The Line (awesome game, showing how war is)
But really... is that game gory? Because after Spec Ops I really don't need another one like that :D

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
kitabatake12 said:
I just finished Spec Ops: The Line (awesome game, showing how war is)
But really... is that game gory? Because after Spec Ops I really don't need another one like that :D
Yes, and not just dumb gore (as in just random gibs when you shoot heads or limbs), the game sometimes tries to show things to make the player a bit uncomfortable.

I really like the game and its a very good recommendation if you are also interested in some stealth elements but it does go more for the violent side of things.

Deus Ex also mixes stealth and action so you may enjoy it a lot.

Far Cry 3 if you havent played it yet, it also lets you use some stealth and its a solid game too.

Another good one (although doesnt have any stealth) is Call of Juarez Gunslinger, its rather short so try to find it as cheap as possible but damn, it does what it does (badass cowboy shooting) so well.

kitabatake12

Jun 30, 2014
I finished some time ago the story but I have some outposts to clear
Also about Deus Ex... are you talking about the last one that appeared?
But what about Mass Effect 2, 3 ?
Thanks

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Splinter Cell Blacklist all the way. It's primarily a stealth game(and a really fun one) but it also has action moments and is(contrary to its predecessors) a more than adequate shooter. The missions and locations are varied and just a lot of fun. I even really enjoyed the story which is like a Hollywood B-movie spy-thriller but a really good one. It really immerses you in this shady world of(albeit exaggerated) secret ops. I don't know, but I can't recall a single moment in this game I didn't enjoy. This game deserves more love! :p

Mar 30, 2010
Stealth based FPS you say? Take a good long look at the Metro series. 2033 was released in 2010 and Last Light just last year and both are incredibly atmospheric and tense survival/stealth FPS games. It isn't necessary to play 2033 before LL, but as a fan I would of course recommend it.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Grouchy Imp said:
Stealth based FPS you say? Take a good long look at the Metro series. 2033 was released in 2010 and Last Light just last year and both are incredibly atmospheric and tense survival/stealth FPS games. It isn't necessary to play 2033 before LL, but as a fan I would of course recommend it.
If you are going to go with Metro 2033 then wait for the Redux version, it uses the same version of the 4A Engine that Last Light used.

My recommendation would be for Dishonored, but its more of a First Person Perspective than a straight up shooter. Stealth ninja or magical death dealer it's fun, though potentially gory if you feed people to the rats.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
I'd also recommend Wolfenstein: The New Order. It's not very gory, is incredibly well written and it combines elements of older and newer shooters to create something truly great. It's got the health system and large, exploration encouraging maps of older shooters and the tactical, stealthy focus of newer shooters.

Ditto Resistance 3 which is like Half-Life 2 but with alien zombie cyborgs. Plus it is not boring(!!). It's not as stealth focused, mind, but it's still a good shooter. However, Resistance 3 is a PS3 exclusive so keep that in mind.

Of the CoD/BFs (which you mentioned in the poll), I'd only recommend Black Ops II for a post 2010 game. Infinity Ward's games were fine, but none of their work in the 2010s has been remotely good, and Black Ops was just OK. World at War is great, though, it's kinda like the Spec Ops: The Line for World War II shooters (just without the hypocrisy). It is very gory, though.

Madame_Lawliet

Jul 16, 2013
EDIT: CRAP! I didn't notice that thing about not wanting old games until just now! I guess that makes my post pretty pointless then...

In that case I'll recommend something like Painkiller, Wolfenstein: The New Order, or the New Shadow Warrior; carries on the spirit of the old games, but in a more modern context.

Original Post:

None of the above, classic FPS is where it's at!

Duke Nukem 3D, Shadow Warrior, BLOOD, Strife, Redkneck Rampage, SIN, Rise of the Triad, Quake 1, The first two DOOMs, those are the best shooters ever made, and they hold up fantastically if you ask me.

Greanted, you DO have to do some modding to make them play properly today, but everything I just named has either a full engine port or at very least a mouselook mod you can find with a simple Google search, and is available on GOG or Steam (save Strife, which is abandonware so eh... do what ya gotta do...).

These games games endure and remain fun to this very day because they were made with fun and replayability in mind, the level design in that little pocket of FPS from about 1994 to 1998 was some of the greatest gaming has ever had to offer, big open levels loaded with secrets to explore, things to discover, and MONSTAHZ TO SHOOT!
Hell, Duke 3D has a shrink ray, a freeze ray, a two headed rocket launcher of death, and a fucking jet pack just lying around BECAUSE! When's the last time a game trusted you enough to just let you find a jet pack and say "oh yeah, go ahead and use that anywhere you want, yeah you can break several levels completely that way but hey, that just makes it more fun!"

If I must choose one from the options listed, I'm gonna go Human Revolution, partially to indulge my love of all things cyberpunk, and partially because it's got more depth, substance, and ways to tackle any given objective then any other game up there in my opinion.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
kitabatake12 said:
Thanks
Yeah, I was talking about Human Revolution.

Mass Effect is also cool if you also want something more attached to the characters, the action is allright and there is no stealth involved.

Also, if you are very into Blacklist (since you mentioned as an option) it is also a very good game so its all more about what kind of game you prefer playing now since all of you mentions and what other people said are games that are hard to not like as they are all very well design and entertaining.

CannibalCorpses

Aug 21, 2011
I'll second shadow warrior although you don't really do much shooting outside of boss battles...katana all the way!

The difficulty leap for the last few levels is mental...good challenge :)

Vykrel

Feb 26, 2009
i should point out to you that Blacklist is a third-person game, not an FPS. Mass Effect, as well.

anyway, i prefer scifi FPS more than anything. Halo, most of all.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
I liked both Deus ex Human Revolution and Splinter Cell Blacklist a lot.
Give 'em a try :D

Goliath100

Sep 29, 2009
I'll assume we are talking single player only here, so just forget about Cod and Battlefield. Both has terrible campaigns that's overly linjer and overly scripted.

I would wait for Metro 2033 Redux.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
kitabatake12 said:
Thanks
Mass Effect is a third person shooter, not a first person shooter. Also, the combat mechanics in the first one are...well not terrible, but closer to bad than good and certainly not helped by an equally lacking inventory system. That's not to say it's not worth checking out, just don't expect it to sell itself on combat. The second and third installments do a lot better in that regard but they sacrifice a lot of the first game's open world feel to do it.

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
I think Crysis, Deus Ex, and Far Cry are your best bets. All three have a decent amount of stealth and action built into their mechanics and often let the player choose which one they wish to use. From those series, Crysis 2, Crysis 3, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, and Far Cry 3 all fit within time frame you're looking at.

And while I may be looking way outside of the 2010+ year range, you might also want to look at Medal of Honor: Allied Assault. It still has decent shooting mechanics by today's standards, and it mixes a lot of stealth into the game. A few levels even are based around stealth with a couple having you go incognito. Again, it is old, but if you're looking for a CoD-styled shooter that is both well-designed and offers some stealth sections, Allied Assault is still the best there is. As far as singleplayer goes, I'd even say it is the best military shooter overall.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Deus Ex Human Revolution can be played as a straight-up pure stealth game. It's actually one of the best stealth games of last gen even though you don't have to use stealth.

stroopwafel said:
Splinter Cell Blacklist all the way. It's primarily a stealth game(and a really fun one) but it also has action moments and is(contrary to its predecessors) a more than adequate shooter. The missions and locations are varied and just a lot of fun. I even really enjoyed the story which is like a Hollywood B-movie spy-thriller but a really good one. It really immerses you in this shady world of(albeit exaggerated) secret ops. I don't know, but I can't recall a single moment in this game I didn't enjoy. This game deserves more love! :p
Blacklist is the 1st Splinter Cell I play since the original, and Blacklist is awesome. I played the first Splinter Cell because it was supposed to "revolutionize" stealth but it was just hiding in shadows, which Thief already did but much better. I stay away from the series because it just wasn't fun at all. I saw a demo playthrough of the mansion mission and immediately knew I would like the game.

kitabatake12

Jun 30, 2014
Well, thanks everyone for support, I am going for Deus Ex Human Revolution at first. Shall I take the normal or the Director's Cut?

Synthetica

Jul 10, 2013
Ed130 The Vanguard said:
Grouchy Imp said:
My recommendation would be for Dishonored, but its more of a First Person Perspective than a straight up shooter. Stealth ninja or magical death dealer it's fun, though potentially gory if you feed people to the rats.
Seconded. It has a first-person perspective, and you can shoot (not that you ever have to). That's an FPS right?