Poll: Harry Potter problem

Caedus

Aug 29, 2010
So I've decided to read the Harry Potter series again (it's been a while) and watch each film corresponding to the book after finishing the last paragraph.

The movies could have been (much) better and there are some errors that made me grind my teeth (that plus the occasionnal bad acting) but I'm not here to discuss that.

I've finished the last book this morning and watched the Deathly Hallows Part 2 (Part 1 was yesterday as soon as I read about Dobby's death). Something happened to me.

I think I'm obsessed with the books. I tried continuing A Dance with Dragons or playing any videogames but I can't take my mind off the HP series (I've been reading it for 3 weeks, pacing myself so I don't read it to fast). Everything seems bland or uninteresting. I even dug out my old Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone PC game (that I finished in 3.5 hours just now).

Maybe it has something to do with the epilogue. JK Rowling said that she wanted the epilogue to be vague and not really full of details but I need those details.

What do you think fellow Escapists? Was the end too abrupt for you too?

PS
Oh and the poll is broken and I can't fix it. ><

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
If you want more details, she has stated some of the stuff that happened to other characters in podcasts and stuff.

Like, Harry and Ron became aurors. Cho Chang married a muggle. Etc.

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
I tore out the final few pages. Utter garbage. That epilogue was an abomination and we shall never speak of it. Ever. "Albus severus".... what a contrived and childish end to a serious and surprisingly interesting "kids" book.

CODE-D

Feb 6, 2011
I refuse to believe Dumbledores gay, sorry not in the main books not canon.
As far as Im concerned he and McGonagall were banging every other week.

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
Watch Potter Puppet Pals, and you won't give a damn about the ending anymore.

As for the broken poll, I'd want to be a wizard if I still got to buy guns when I was old enough. Wand in one hand + Pistol in the other = Fuck yeah

A BigCup of Tea

Nov 19, 2009
BiscuitTrouser said:
I tore out the final few pages. Utter garbage. That epilogue was an abomination and we shall never speak of it. Ever. "Albus severus".... what a contrived and childish end to a serious and surprisingly interesting "kids" book.
you ruined a book?? thats a disgrace!!!

OT: I thought the end was ok, not the best but not the worst

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Jedoro said:

As for the broken poll, I'd want to be a wizard if I still got to buy guns when I was old enough. Wand in one hand + Pistol in the other = Fuck yeah
Have you, by any chance, read The Dresden Files?

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
BiscuitTrouser said:
How so? He named his son after the two bravest people he ever knew, the two people who protected him throughout his childhood and giving their lives to do so, that's "childish" now? If anything, the whole thing with Snape is all about looking past superficial predudices and seeing people for who they truly are, which is a very mature concept which, sadly, a lot of people in this world, including adults, have yet to learn.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
TheYellowCellPhone said:
Jedoro said:

Pssh. Harry doesn't Dual Wield. He takes the normal penalties for drawing each individually. :p

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
TheYellowCellPhone said:
Jedoro said:

No, that was just my reaction when I first read the Harry Potter books. I've heard mention of it, though, so I'm guessing it's something I should check out?

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
NinjaDeathSlap said:
BiscuitTrouser said:
How so? He named his son after the two bravest people he ever knew, the two people who protected him throughout his childhood and giving their lives to do so, that's "childish" now? If anything, the whole thing with Snape is all about looking past superficial predudices and seeing people for who they truly are, which is a very mature concept which, sadly, a lot of people in this world, including adults, have yet to learn.
Dont get me wrong, snape was a brilliant character, my favourite in fact in both movie and book. I loved it. But the fact everyone married everyone else and had pretty little children all named after eachother was just... so cliche... and came off rather childish. A bit of a dissapointing end to a great book.

ELCTea said:
BiscuitTrouser said:
you ruined a book?? thats a disgrace!!!

OT: I thought the end was ok, not the best but not the worst
I must say i did so figuratively. I just finish the book when i re read it and pretend they are not there. I cant bring myself to damage a book physically.

CODE-D

Feb 6, 2011
Kill100577 said:
CODE-D said:
So your ok with non canon hetrosexual relationships but not that he was gay? You disgusting homophobe. Just shut the fuck up, JK says he was gay, that means he was gay. At any rate McGonagall was married before she was at Hogwarts, she wouldn't be having sex with Dumbledore.
Sorry not in the main book doesnt count. Dont care about her catering to fans and there are plenty of others like me who thought JK was phoning it in near the end with this all of a sudden Dumby is gay thing and others who thought there was something between Dumby and her by their interactions and respect for each other.
And where does it say anything about mcgonagall and marriage?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I used to hate the epilogue, but I've mellowed a bit.

But, yeah, is a bit funny...for 15 years, everyone has been eagerly awaiting the next book or movie, and now there's nothing left until she digitally re-edits them to make Voldemort more obviously evil as a child or something in 20 years time.

Also...so she had the idea that Dumbledore is gay? Anyone conservative enough to freak out should be aware that the book is promoting witchcraft and shagging werewolves and stuff.

Kill100577

Nov 25, 2009
CODE-D said:
Kill100577 said:
CODE-D said:
So your ok with non canon hetrosexual relationships but not that he was gay? You disgusting homophobe. Just shut the fuck up, JK says he was gay, that means he was gay. At any rate McGonagall was married before she was at Hogwarts, she wouldn't be having sex with Dumbledore.
Sorry not in the main book doesnt count. Dont care about her catering to fans and there are plenty of others like me who thought JK was phoning it in near the end with this all of a sudden Dumby is gay thing and others who thought there was something between Dumby and her by their interactions and respect for each other.
And where does it say anything about mcgonagall and marriage?
Its on Pottermore.

Birthday:
4th October

Wand:
Fir and dragon heartstring, nine and a half inches, stiff

Hogwarts house:
Gryffindor

Special abilities:
Animagus (distinctively marked silver tabby cat)

Parentage:
Muggle father, witch mother

Family:
Husband Elphinstone Urquart, deceased. No children

Hobbies:
Needlework, correcting articles in Transfiguration Today, watching Quidditch, supporting the Montrose Magpies.

"Through all her early years at Hogwarts, Minerva McGonagall remained on terms of friendship with her old boss at the Ministry, Elphinstone Urquart. He came to visit her while on holiday to Scotland, and to her great surprise and embarrassment, proposed marriage in Madam Puddifoot?s teashop. Still in love with Dougal McGregor, Minerva turned him down.

Elphinstone, however, had never ceased to love her, nor to propose every now and then, even though she continued to refuse him. The death of Dougal McGregor, however, although traumatic, seemed to free Minerva. Shortly after Voldemort?s first defeat, Elphinstone, now white-haired, proposed again during a summertime stroll around the lake in the Hogwarts grounds. This time Minerva accepted. Elphinstone, now retired, was beside himself with joy, and purchased a small cottage in Hogsmeade for the pair of them, whence Minerva could travel easily to work every day.

Known to successive generations of students as ?Professor McGonagall,? Minerva - always something of a feminist - announced that she would be keeping her own name upon marriage. Traditionalists sniffed - why was Minerva refusing to accept a pure-blood name, and keeping that of her Muggle father?

The marriage (cut tragically short, though it was destined to be) was a very happy one. Though they had no children of their own, Minerva?s nieces and nephews (children of her brothers Malcolm and Robert) were frequent visitors to their home. This was a period of great fulfillment for Minerva.

The accidental death of Elphinstone from a Venomous Tentacula bite, three years into their marriage, was an enormous sorrow to all who knew the couple. Minerva could not bear to remain alone in their cottage, but packed her things after Elphinstone?s funeral and returned to her sparse stone-floored bedroom in Hogwarts Castle, accessible through a concealed door in the wall of her first-floor study. Always a very brave and private person, she poured all her energies into her work, and few people - excepting perhaps Albus Dumbledore - ever realised how much she suffered."

pumuckl

Feb 20, 2010
TheYellowCellPhone said:
Dear son, let me explain my thoughts to you, in song.

hire a lyricist, and a singer

yeah the ending was pretty bad, but you know she's not done with the world just yet

CODE-D

Feb 6, 2011
Kill100577 said:
CODE-D said:
Kill100577 said:
CODE-D said:
Yeah I dont care about anything not in the books, and some stuff in the 7th is questionable to me(such as the epilogue and some characters deaths) as the writer losing her stuff and ass pulling. The fact that dumbledore was made gay by a fan merely asking "Was dumbledore gay?" and Jk taking a second and going yeah means nothing to me. The woman doesnt remember half the shit she wrote just look up her realizing what she wrote about dumbledores brother fucking goats.

anyway, her husband was dead and dumbledore got her on the rebound.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Jedoro said:
No, that was just my reaction when I first read the Harry Potter books. I've heard mention of it, though, so I'm guessing it's something I should check out?
The Dresden Files are a series of books done in a pulp/noir style. Harry Dresden packs a revolver as well as a wand (well, rod. And staff. And other things).

Really good series if you're into a urban fantasy sort of deal.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
CODE-D said:
Yeah I dont care about anything not in the books, and some stuff in the 7th is questionable to me(such as the epilogue and some characters deaths) as the writer losing her stuff and ass pulling.

anyway, her husband was dead and dumbledore got her on the rebound.
Personally, I think most of the last book is an asspull, not just bits here and there.

And it's not like I hated the series...I've re-read it twice this year, I enjoy it that much. In ten years, it will be one of like three series from the period I still give a damn about.

But the Deadly Camping Trip had me screaming "FUUUUUUUUUUUUCK" from start to finish. Well, almost.