Poll: Harry Potter problem

Kill100577

Nov 25, 2009
SmashLovesTitanQuest said:
Kill100577 said:
CODE-D said:
I refuse to believe Dumbledores gay, sorry not in the main books not canon.
As far as Im concerned he and McGonagall were banging every other week.
So your ok with non canon hetrosexual relationships but not that he was gay? You disgusting homophobe. Just shut the fuck up, JK says he was gay, that means he was gay. At any rate McGonagall was married before she was at Hogwarts, she wouldn't be having sex with Dumbledore.
Reported, and I hope you get some of the good old mod wrath. You deserve it.

OT: I really like the books, the films kinda suck, and boy oh boy the ending in both the films and the books sucks ass. Why the fuck did he come back to life? If you ask me, he should have stayed dead. Would have been perfect. Instead we get some super happy fun time bullshit. Rowling seems to have forgotten that the main audience for the books is now actually teenagers and adults. Most of us fans were kids when the first book hit the shelfs, but adults or damn near adults now.
Sorry? I deserve mod wrath? Really?? Homophobia doesn't but defending gays does?

runswithcats

Sep 28, 2011
I felt the end was way to abrupt. I don't see the benefit in making the ending vague because people are going to want to know what happens to the characters. I don't know about anyone else but I had grown rather attached to some of the characters and cared about what happened to them. And what really bugs me is that since the last book has been published J.K. Rolling has given out details of what happens to different characters in interviews. The only reason I can see for not putting that stuff in the epilogue would be to ensure publicity down the line by releasing that sort of information after the last book came out.

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
The Dresden Files are a series of books done in a pulp/noir style. Harry Dresden packs a revolver as well as a wand (well, rod. And staff. And other things).

Really good series if you're into a urban fantasy sort of deal.
Sounds pretty awesome. Once I have some extra cash, I'll check it out.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
CODE-D said:
Kill100577 said:
CODE-D said:
So your ok with non canon hetrosexual relationships but not that he was gay? You disgusting homophobe. Just shut the fuck up, JK says he was gay, that means he was gay. At any rate McGonagall was married before she was at Hogwarts, she wouldn't be having sex with Dumbledore.
Sorry not in the main book doesnt count. Dont care about her catering to fans and there are plenty of others like me who thought JK was phoning it in near the end with this all of a sudden Dumby is gay thing and others who thought there was something between Dumby and her by their interactions and respect for each other.
And where does it say anything about mcgonagall and marriage?
It doesn't matter if it was in the books or not, it came from the creator of the canon, who is the only person who can edit, create and delete said canon. Therefore, it becomes canon. You can call it cheesy, but you can't deny its validity.

Sectan

Aug 7, 2011
CODE-D said:
I felt like Dumbledore being gay was just a publicity stunt on Rowling's part. "Oh btw Dumbledore is gay! DISCUSS MY NEW BOOK IN THE PROCESS OF DISCUSSING A FICTIONAL CHARACTER'S UNIMPORTANT SEXUALITY!"

It really doesn't matter that Dumbledore was gay in any way shape or form. It's like explaining that Mario doesn't like Fords. I mean WTF does it have to do with anything?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Kill100577 said:
Sorry? I deserve mod wrath? Really?? Homophobia doesn't but defending gays does?
Accusating someone of bigotry is apparently much worse than actual bigotry nowdays.

Yeah, not sure exactly how that works, but you see that sentiment around.

Darby

Jul 21, 2010
I've just noticed that the grammar in this thread is much better than most... Could that be because of the books? Actually, now that I think of it, a lot of the people I know who read the books are also very good with grammar. I'm thinking there's some sort of link.

CODE-D

Feb 6, 2011
maddawg IAJI said:
CODE-D said:
Kill100577 said:
CODE-D said:
Sorry not in the main book doesnt count. Dont care about her catering to fans and there are plenty of others like me who thought JK was phoning it in near the end with this all of a sudden Dumby is gay thing and others who thought there was something between Dumby and her by their interactions and respect for each other.
And where does it say anything about mcgonagall and marriage?
It doesn't matter if it was in the books or not, it came from the creator of the canon, who is the only person who can edit, create and delete said canon. Therefore, it becomes canon. You can call it cheesy, but you can't deny its validity.
She may be the creator but I am the Fan and she was lucky this was the last book. Otherwise we wouldve gotten to find out about Albus Severus dealing with Ginny and Harrys divorce because he and Ron found that they were gay for each other then Hermione committing suicide from embarrassment of the ordeal and cant take life anymore. But she comes back in the second book as a vengeful ghost.....you see where Im going with this, all this "added" stuff is unnecessary and is fan disservice.

everythingbeeps

Sep 30, 2011
The ending was way too abrupt and the epilogue was completely unnecessary.

Instead of that, there should have been two more chapters about the immediate aftermath. Every other book had them, but not the last.

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
Awww, that gives me a sad that you don't want to continue reading A Dance with Dragons.

Kill100577

Nov 25, 2009
Kill100577 said:
Kill100577 said:
CODE-D said:

OT: I really like the books, the films kinda suck, and boy oh boy the ending in both the films and the books sucks ass. Why the fuck did he come back to life? If you ask me, he should have stayed dead. Would have been perfect. Instead we get some super happy fun time bullshit. Rowling seems to have forgotten that the main audience for the books is now actually teenagers and adults. Most of us fans were kids when the first book hit the shelfs, but adults or damn near adults now.
Because saying you dont want a character to be different from an image you held throughout your entire childhood is SO homophobic, right? Did he say that Dumbledore deserved to die because he was gay? Did he say that he refused to believe it because he hated homosexuals? He said nothing of the sort.

So yes, you do. When you get your suspension/ban, use the free time to google "homophobia", since you obviously have no idea what it means. The guy you replied to may well be homophobic, I have no idea, but nothing he said hinted toward it.
The ponts he made were
1. I dont believe anything not in the books
2. Dumbledore can't be gay because it wasnt in the books
3. I believe he was Fucking McGonnagal

I see a slight disagreementr between 2 of the the 3 statements there. The fact that hes will to believe in a non cannon Heterosexual relationship but not a gay one, infact, doesn't only make him a homophobe but also a bit of a hypocrite.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Jesus....eveyone seems to have a problem with harry potter...

I thourght it all worked out very well..In fact I was surprsied how much liked the books when I read them, I hadnt read them when I was a kid

Krion_Vark

Mar 25, 2010
Kill100577 said:
Kill100577 said:
CODE-D said:

I am sorry but this is where I jump in. What was said about Dumbledore is NOT homophobia. It is stated that the person who you say is a disgusting homophobe wasn't being homophobic. He said that it didn't say Dumbledore was gay in the book therefore is not gay is actually something commonly thought in MANY book series when the author comes and says something about one of the characters that is said after they are either written out or the series is over.
Hell I am sort of on the same boat he is seeing as how when she said he was gay was around the time that Gay rights has started so it seemed to me that it was more of an attention grab. Hell I think if someone asked her if Harry was Bisexual around the same time they asked if Dumbledore was gay probably would have said yes.

Also as for why you were reported was because you were being an idiot and not having any real merit to what you said besides completely flaming someone out. The non-canon hetero-sexual relationship you mention is something HE CAME UP WITH not what was told to him by a different person.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
I tolerated the ending to both Deathly Hallows Part II and the movie. I wouldn't say it's perfect, but it does give the sense that the characters have gone full circle and become adults. They've grown through their experiences, and you can assume it'll all turn out for the best.

Beyond that, OP, if you want more... You can either invest yourself in the fuckton of fanfic available that deals with the post-Hogwarts years, stick to Rowling's canon which is admittedly far sparser or, I dunno, hope she'll pull an Arthur Conan Doyle and suddenly decide to start working on "Harry Potter: the Later Years". Which I doubt.

Unless, of course, she keeps adding complexity to the subject material and brings Harry back in something that builds on the last few books' developing maturity and that eliminates lasting "kiddie" elements.

We've all grown up with Potter for the most part, so I think it's safe to say we're ready to see him pay his taxes and ***** and moan about how he has to shovel snow off the driveway at 5 in the morning... :)

MaxwellEdison

Sep 30, 2010
Why go to Hogwarts? I'm sure California has a school.
But yeah, those books were amazing. So glad I grew up with them.

SquirePB

Apr 5, 2011
I thought the books were pretty meh. They got me into reading when I was young and I loved them back then but by about the 4th or 5th book I was reading them as much out of habit as anything else.

-|-

Aug 28, 2010
thaluikhain said:
Kill100577 said:
Accusating someone of bigotry is apparently much worse than actual bigotry nowdays.

Yeah, not sure exactly how that works, but you see that sentimenIt around.
I can only assume the escapist has report/warning bots who don't understand context.

gritch

Tastes like Science!
Feb 21, 2011
I have read all the books and the ending never really sat well with me. My main issue I had was that I always thought it would've been better for Harry to have died in a truly heroic way. I always wanted to see Harry jump in front of curse to save Ginger-Hermione and by doing so kills Voldemort. I think this would be a been a much better ending. If you need a happier epilogue, have Ron and Hermione sending off their lone child onto the Hogwarts express. Subtly mention they named their child after the bravest wizard they ever knew - Harry.

I managed to finally see the 2nd part of the 7th movie and I must say its ending was worse than the book. In particular I disliked the final fight with Harry and Voldemort in the tower. At one point Voldemort has Harry forced to an edge and rather than killing him he gets close enough for Harry to grab him. Why not press the advantage and hang back to kill him? You've already failed killing him twice, why risk a third by being dramatic?