Poll: Has a sequel ever gotten you into the rest of the franchise?

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
So recently, I was playing the Mass Effect 3 demo (under the persistent "advice" of a friend). Anyway, the multi player is fairly nice, but I also gave the story a quick go. Anyway, I was interested in the Mass Effect universe after that and remembered I had bought number 1 a while back in a sale. I've completed it now and am raring to get onto the second one.

Have you guys ever had a similar experience?

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
I never played the first Assassin's creed, but I really enjoyed AC2 and the sequels.

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
Well, I didn't get into Harry Potter until I saw the second movie, and wound up borrowing the books off a friend (around the time ORder of the Phoenix came out). So yeah, I guess.

crudus

Oct 20, 2008
I got into the MGS series with MGS2 and I got into Saints Row series with Saints Row 2. The list goes on.

Ultress

Volcano Girl
Feb 5, 2009
I'm pretty sure that I'm not the only person who's got into SMT via Persona 3.

Did get into Crash Bandicoot and Wild Arms through their 3rd installment and Spyro through Ripto's Rage.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Not really since I tend to get the first game first. I have play sequel games like Fire Emblem and Dragon Quest 9 but I have no interest to seach for the rest of the series seeing how they are in the previous console unless it's a remake.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Sure, MGS3 made me want to play all the others and after Armored Core: FA I wanted to hunt down all the other games (admittedly without too much succes...).

The Shadowlord

Jul 18, 2011
Not to my memory. If ever I show interest in a franchise, I have to see the first product, otherwise it ruins everything.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
I played Half-Life 2 before I played Half-Life 1. Also, Spyro Year of the Dragon was my first Spyro game. Such great games...

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Yes, a friend of mine loaned[footnote]That is not really the proper term, he practically shoved the books into my hands and told me "You'll like that."[/footnote] me Interesting Times and afterwards Small Gods, which got me into the Discworld.

Erja_Perttu

May 6, 2009
What about Final Fantasy games? There's a bazillion of those, and I sure as hell didn't play the first one first, but have since gone back and worked my way through a fair few of them. Good times were had!

HenrySugar

Feb 6, 2012
I dunno if they count as sequels, but at one point, I fell into The Elder Scrolls with Oblivion, then worked my way through all their previous games, then bought Skyrim and began working on that. The same thing happened with Pokemon, where I got into it late during Sapphire and then turned around and worked myself through capturing and filling the *Normal* (not National) Pokedex in each... Does this count?

If not, I can always use X-Men Legends 2: Rise of Apocalypse as an excuse. I played that, then went back and played X-Men Legends, then I stuck with the franchise when I learned they were the people behind Ultimate Alliance 1 & 2.

Suicidejim

Jul 1, 2011
DoPo said:
Yes, a friend of mine loaned me Interesting Times and afterwards Small Gods, which got me into the Discworld.
Yeah, I think I read about 15 Discworld books before I ever so much as touched the first one. I still don't read them in order, I just pick whatever ones catch my fancy.

OT: All the time. Devil May Cry, Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy, Elder Scrolls, Metroid, Grand Theft Auto, Zelda, Tekken, Shin Megami Tensei, Call of Duty, Breath of Fire, Half Life, Jak and Daxter, the list goes on. It's less frequent lately, as first entries in more recent series are usually both more accessible than for long running ones, and a lot cheaper than recent entries.

And that's only games, never mind books, movies and TV.

Drop_D-Bombshell

Doing Nothing Productive...
Apr 17, 2010
I tried Halo 3 when it came out to see what all the hype was about, all my friends were talking about it in the week before it came out, and i loved it. It got me into the series and Reach.

It also happened with Metal Gear Solid, i played 2 first and loved it.

Also Resident evil 3....

ZehMadScientist

Oct 29, 2010
I played MGS 4 for a bit, and liked it quite a bit. Had no idea what was going on, but now that the MGS HD collection has been released, I'm working on that.

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
Griffolion said:
So recently, I was playing the Mass Effect 3 demo (under the persistent "advice" of a friend). Anyway, the multi player is fairly nice, but I also gave the story a quick go. Anyway, I was interested in the Mass Effect universe after that and remembered I had bought number 1 a while back in a sale. I've completed it now and am raring to get onto the second one.

Have you guys ever had a similar experience?
I had the same one with Mass Effect 2 and 1.
Played 2 first then got back to 1. The micro-management killed it for me. Barely managed to finish it.

Rule Britannia

Apr 20, 2011
Yes.
Oblivion (got me into skyrim and morrowind)
Halo 3 (Got me into Halo Reach)
Call of Duty 4 (got me into WaW, MW2, Black Ops, MW3)

Sewa_Yunga

I love this highway!
Nov 21, 2011
Movies:
Serenity kinda introduced me to Firefly. I didn't know about Firefly until I learned that Serenity was a sequel to the series.

Books:
I first got into the Night Watch tetralogy with the second book, Day Watch. Though I had seen the movie adaption of Night Watch before that...