Poll: Has Dragon Age Inquisition out-skyrimmed Skyrim?

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
Skyrim has kept it's popularity due to mods, DAI has no mods so chances of t surpassing it are slim to none

but don't get me wrong both games are great, and while it may sound contradictory I actually prefer DAI if only for the third person camera that actually works and looks cool, unlike Skyrim that looks like horse poop on a stick

jklinders

Sep 21, 2010
No Elder Scrolls game is even remotely playable without mods. Seriously, they are dull as shit out of the box. Decent lore but bland in the worst possible way.

Still DAI is not the top RPG. That was probably and will always be Planescape Torment.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
GZGoten said:
Skyrim has kept it's popularity due to mods, DAI has no mods so chances of t surpassing it are slim to none
Inquisition does have mods http://www.nexusmods.com/dragonageinquisition/. We are never going to see the type of mods as in Skyrim because they are never going to release a toolset for Frostbite. I suppose we can hope that a modder comes up with a toolset though, as Warrenty Voider did with ME3Explorer.

This thread is a hard one for me to answer though. I've never been a huge fan of the Elder Scrolls series because I like my role playing games to be story driven. So obviously Bioware was the one I gravitated to.

I loved Dragon Age: Origins. I can understand why some people don't like it, but to be the game hit every mark I wanted. Hell I could even tolerate Dragon Age II because of the brilliant party banter.

Then I reached Dragon Age: Inquisition and pretty much immediately got off to a bad start. I'm playing on PC and found the controls and UI to be completely iffy. They are certainly functional but why on Earth did they remove two of the control options from the previous games to focus on just one? The addition of a jump button wasn't a good enough reason.

None of the characters I've encountered so far are compelling in the slightest. Even Varric seems a pale shade of his former self. I can't even tell if the banter is good because it happens so infrequently.

Plus I find the combat completely boring. Any sense of tactics is lost simply because the AI doesn't do anything you tell them to. Try and tell a archer or mage to hang back and attack from a distance, they'll ignore you and try firing arrows from an inch in front of that huge melee monster.

I haven't yet got out of the starting area, I'm told the game gets a lot better when you do. The thing is I just can't bring myself to play for any more time on the hope that things will get better.

overrated44

Sep 23, 2009
I purchased DA:I on launch and I just CANNOT get in to that game. I mean, it FEELS like something that I should really enjoy...I just don't.

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
DAI is infinitely better than the absolute junk that was DAO, the series has come a long way for me and I'm glad I let someone talk me into buying DA2 after how much I hated the first game. But no, it doesn't touch Skyrim. The feel of the game is just completely different, the way it plays out is different and the feeling of exploration in Skyrim isn't copied in the slightest.

JustAnotherAardvark

Feb 19, 2015
overrated44 said:
I purchased DA:I on launch and I just CANNOT get in to that game. I mean, it FEELS like something that I should really enjoy...I just don't.
You gotta get past the first chapter, then spend time with your companions.

It's a worthwhile game; pretty much null for replay value, but it's good.

Hit the wartable often, and get out of the Hinterlands soonest; move from major event to major event without lingering in a region. Overall story is pretty thin, just focus on progressing and enjoying your companions of choice.

As far as comparing the games, yeah, well, you get a few BSN loyalists up in here, but Skyrim (even vanilla) trounces DA:I pretty heavily.

duwenbasden

King of the Celery people
Jan 18, 2012
Not a chance. I always fast travel from Redcliffe to Crossroads, as there are too many fucking respawning critters in DAI for me to not be molested; whereas I always WALK from Whiterun to Solitude and enjoy every minute of it.

nightmare_gorilla

Jan 22, 2008
Dragon age is a fun, good game, but it is still a game. Until there's mod support and thomas the dragon engine or some equivalent Dragon age will be a little lesser. Plus Skyrim crossed a line no fantasy game crossed before. Skyrim became pop culture in a big way even the deuches who only buy madden and call of duty were talking about and playing skyrim. DA is strictly gamer territory. until it spawns a meme it can't beat Skyrim.

social factors aside judging based on content and self worth alone? eh, I am enjoying Dragon Age but i'm not likley to replay it much or keep at it it's already starting to feel a little stale. the side quests are a lot less interesting or memorable. the characters are definitley more memorable but only a few of them for me will be worth thinking about. cassandra is cool because she has a goal and some drive, the others not so much unless you really spend the time to get into them they don't have as much going on. I would say the world of Skyrim has ALOT more personality than the world of dragon age in so far as environments are concerned, yeah there's a shitload of reading and lore in dragon age but that translates into jack all in the world itself. Skyrim may not have as interesting people but the landscape is way more alive.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Definitely not. The most comparable aspect of the two is the enormous scope of their content, and Skyrim did that far better than Inquisition did. Indeed, the scope in Inquisition largely distracts from what are generally recognized as Bioware's strengths of character and story focus. I'm not sure that Skyrim is "top dog", but Inquisition certainly won't beat Skyrim on the latter's terms.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
Game came out towards the end of 2011 and every popular rpg that comes out is still being compared to it. I think that says it all.

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
I would say that those two games are different enough that the appeal isn't the same. They are similar, sure. But in my opinion no more so that Duke Nukem 3D is similar to Call of Duty. Sure they are both first person shooters, but that's about it.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
For that to happen, Skyrim would have to have the top spot in the first place huehuehuehuehue.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
In order to out Skyrim as the best, Skyrim would have to be the best to begin with. EDIT:
Chairman Miaow said:
For that to happen, Skyrim would have to have the top spot in the first place huehuehuehuehue.
GODDAMMIT

Skyrim was shallow. Really shallow. It had no soul compared to even Oblivion, itself fairly pale. Plus, the combat in Skyrim is absolute ass, and directs most people towards pic related.

Tayh

Apr 6, 2009
Seeing as DA:I has a fraction of the modding potential of Skyrim, yet still seems to suffer from the same 'size of an ocean, depth of a puddle' syndrome, I don't see how it could ever compete.

Vlado

Independent Game Journalist
Feb 21, 2015
Wait, what? Most people I know who have played it said that Inquisition is not even as good as the first Dragon Age.

Starbird

Sep 30, 2012
thejboy88 said:
For a long time, Skyrim has been thought of as the top dog in terms of fantasy video games, at least in terms of games made in the last few years. However, recently, the latest entry into the DA franchise, Inquisition, has been getting praise after praise, to the point where people are starting to say that it's the new king of fantasy video games, usurping Skyrim's spot.

Do you agree with this?
No.

3 reasons.

1) No surprises. In Skyrim I was never sure what I was going to encounter in a dungeon. In DA it's just more identical monsters and demons with higher numbers.

2) Blah combat. Skyrim had real impact. DA...doesn't.

3) Mods.

I liked DA:I, but it's not Skyrim.

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
No, Skyrim is still a better Skyrim. However, DA:I did out Bioware Skyrim and out Skyrim Elder Scrolls Online. Inquisition gave me the experience I wanted out of ESO, but I always felt I was searching more than exploring in Inquisition. Impressive environments that felt empty, but were convincing that the regions could exist like that rather than the Pokemon-esque geography of earlier Dragon Age games.

Capcha: route one

Mikejames

Jan 26, 2012
Casual Shinji said:
No.

And that's because Inquisition isn't an open-world adventure game where you more or less craft your own story. It's a story driven game with huge stretches of wandering around doing inconsequential side quests that totally exhaust you and break up the flow of the story.
Yeah... While I still have more interest in the Dragon Age series than I do with the Elder Scroll games, I saw the vast overworlds as more of a detriment to Inquisition than an improvement.

There were some nice visuals to show off, but I prefer Bioware when they're more about smaller areas packed with content and variety of dialogue, more-so than massive areas that are dotted with nothing but collectibles and the same three fetch quests.