Poll: Has your taste in music changed over time?

Fanfic_warper

Jan 24, 2011
My taste hasn't so much as changed as it's just finally come out. I've finally found full versions of theme songs to my favorite anime and quite a few good chirstmas carols.

Arachon

Jun 23, 2008
Massively.

5 years ago, I *only* listened to punk rock, and maybe some metal. Today, I listen to everything from ska to rock to grime hip-hop, and I've taken up DJing with electronic music as a hobby.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
A fair bit.

When I was in high school I listen to everything that was metal related and had a lot of music from that time of my life. I recently went through them and holy hell was I surprised by how crap they are. I think I tossed almost all of them in the trash bit out of sheer embarrassment and didn't want anyone to find evidence of them.

Now I'm more into Jazz than I was before and music that's just relaxing, but I still listen to metal and classic rock, just not as much as I used to.

EDIT: I kinda forgot, I used to listen to hip-hop and rap around that time too, but not anymore. I grew out of it and I can't listen to any of that anymore for some reason.

Broknhead

Oct 26, 2011
i think i mostly just keep adding to the list. my appreciation for some bands has definitely faded, and i've felt like i have been "going backwards".

when i was a teen i liked punk rock like pennywise, rancid, bad religion, and nofx. now ive gone backwards and listen more to the dead kennedys and the sex pistols.

i used to listen to metallica, and slipknot, but now ive gone backwards yet again to old slayer for my metal fix.

i used to like stabbing westward and some other industial bands... then i went backwards and prefer the odd sounding skinny puppy.

daft punk, chemical brothers, and champion are some of the electronic bands i listened to... and once again, i go backwards, and my current favorite electronic is one of the first techno songs i know of, chase by giorgio moroder

ive always hated and will always hate christmas music :)

davros3000

Jun 8, 2010
My taste hasn't changed much; I was always into trying new stuff. I just tend to listen to a few new things, then try that band/genre out. While not listening to it before, its because I wasn't aware of it instead of my taste being different. Shows like Jools Holland can be great for stuff like that.

someonehairy-ish

Mar 15, 2009
I've loved metal since I was pretty young. First ever bands I heard about were ones like Slipknot. I wasn't that interested in music until I was maybe 12 or 13, then I got into Muse. When I was 15 I rediscovered metaland started getting into it properly and then moving toward heavier stuff toward death metal. At about 17 I moved toward progressive metal, tech-thrash, djent and the like but I still enjoy bands like Slipknot. Current tastes are prog/djent/other technical shizzle.

Electric Alpaca

What's on the menu?
May 2, 2011
Teenage years - primarily Def Jam Records housed my passions, then I evolved into a heavy/industrial metal aficionado, now a trancehead - which I imagine is where I'll settle for a while to come yet because of the lifestyle.

In between this I have forays into other genres, I'm pretty open minded when it comes to music, but these were and are my mainstays.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
Pretty much yes. Or, I wouldn't say changed as much as evolved. I've never really made a 180 degrees turn, but from liking a very limited amount of artists in my early teens, I've successively branched out to a whole bunch of other genres and artists.

erto101

Aug 18, 2009
I've always had a mixed music taste. I've gone from listening to pop, alt. rock and classical to the more heavy stuff. ATM I listen classical, Jazz, Blues, hip hop and classic rock. I hardly listen to any of my old favorites anymore

(sic) humor

Nov 19, 2009
Oh yeah. The biggest transition was from high school to college, when I went from crappy emo-punk to indie rock. I still like some of those bands from high school, but none are in my current top ten.

I imagine my tastes will level out in a few years, and then I'll be that stubborn old person who insists that HIS music is far superior to the crap kids listen to these days.

hypercube

Jul 23, 2008
When I was a teenager, it was rock - Metallica, Motley Crue, Def Leppard, Megadeth.
In mid-twenties I started listening to industrial - NIN, Ministry.
That sort of led me into techno, then by late twenties/early thirties I was listening to a lot of drum and bass.
Sort of went into dubstep after that, but after forming a band with some friends I've recently started getting back into guitar based music, really stripped down un-produced music like the White Stripes and the Kills.

But I haven't given up on any of the music from the past - on my MP3 player I've got AC/DC, the White Stripes, Seasick Steve, Burial, Bob Log III and many others.

I don't think of it as so much a changing of musical taste - more like a broadening of horizons.

Killermud

Oct 6, 2010
From 11 onwards listened to only metal music, at around 17 switched to electronic music after getting bored of metal. So yeah I guess its a big change, to go from only metal to electronica which I would never listen to before.

Only listened to metal because my brothers were both listening to it. As I grew up and got bored, I branched into other music.

Dr.Susse

Lv.1 NPC
Apr 17, 2009
A few years back I'd only listen to Classic rock with smatterings of Classical and Jazz but ever since I left school I've realised just how much different genres and bands are in the world.

Like the other day a mate showed me an African Funk band, they were awesome!

Bebus

Feb 12, 2010
A little bit. Since I will listen to most things other than here-today gone-tomorrow pop music, it is quite hard to judge.

Probably most noticeably, I don't really like screamy type metal any more, when I used to a lot. I guess I am less angry.

darksuccubus

Jan 11, 2011
Well, when I was a teenager, I was quite into metal/rock and so on. After a few years I began to listen less to rock and more to folk, ambient, alternative, and stuff like that. Still listen to old favorite rock and metal bands though but I'm too lazy to look for new ones

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
I went from liking angsty music to despising it. Guess how much that changes the music to which one listens.

ronald1840

Oct 4, 2010
Yes. I've exposed myself to a wide range of different artists and genres. Back in middle school, all I heard was hip hop and generic R&B like Trey Songz. Over the years into now as I discovered YouTube, attented concerts and raves at conventions with friends, watched a lot of anime, and hard reading. I have a better appreciation for new things. More open to what others can create.

Rock and Metal didn't have any appealing qualities to me before. I thought it was just all noise. Although I still see Metal this way, but I can see the way a lot of people love it. It's the energy I guess. Now I can listen to Jazz, Bossa Nova, lounge music, and anything else. I don't care for who's producing it, I listen to how it sounds. What the mood is drawing from. Thank You Internet!

My New Favorite Groups I discovered in the last 2 years. In the order I like them!

- Beach House

- PE'Z

- The Kills

- DOM

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
It's something that shames me to this very day.....but when I was a young teenager.....I actually liked Nickelback......

Needless to say that yes, my music tastes have changed. I've always like Rock, but as I've gotten older I like the heavy screamo less and I've gotten into Hip-Hop[footnote]or Rap if you want to call it that[/footnote] more and the Blues scene

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
It's de-emphasized what I used to listen to, and branched out a bit.
Though I did notice that I don't really like metal as much as I used to. Not sure why.