Poll: Has your taste of games changed over the years?

Segadroid

Apparently a Premium Member now
Mar 20, 2009
I notice nowadays that I greatly enjoy playing RTS's, FPS's, Racing and Flying Simulators. Though when I was younger, I played alot of Adventure, Sidescroll and Puzzle games. It could be that the media influenced my personal taste, but I just don't like them that much anymore.

So now I ask to my fellow members of the Escapist: Has your personal taste of games changed over the years? If so, why?

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
Nope i still pretty much play stealthy action, puzzle, hack and slash beat em ups with some Third and First person shooters and JRPG's added in.

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
Yes. I used to be much more into stealth games than I am now. Now I prefer a long ranged approach such as sniping.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Yes. Mainly because I now actually have a preference for games, rather than just playing what was given to me at Christmas and for my Birthday.

kenzo1010

Nov 10, 2009
I geuss my game taste has changed sligthly over the years. I, like you played alot of side scrolling and puzzle games, now I play more action based games. Allthough, I do enjoy going back to those older games for the nostalga.

Kilaknux

Jun 16, 2009
I used to play an enormous amount of FPS's, but thats now gone down to a smaller number as I got into RPGs, RTS's and a few puzzlers.

Dragon_of_red

Dec 30, 2008
Nope, its been pretty much steady through my gaming history, I mean I can still play games of yore and have fun.

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
Not really. The only things that changed is that some game genres are not so common anymore and action/shooters take their place. Stealh games with the stealth part done properly are real rarity since most seems to be rather streamlined, platformers are pretty much gone with all that auto-jumping, point and click adventure games dont seem to like to come as AAA titles.
RTS and RPGs were my favorite always tho, so yeah, sticking to them through all my gaming history.

wheeman

Sep 15, 2009
Yep, just a few years ago I pretty much only played games like Mario galaxy, brawl and pretty much anything on the wii, then I god an xbox 360 and a few weeks after that I got Left 4 Dead, then Bioshock, fallout 3, resident evil 5. And now I pretty much only play shooting games.

black orchid1

Dec 15, 2009
i used to love stealth and rts but there isnt enough of them anymore so they have been replace with rpg and the ocastional fps

Danallighieri

Jun 3, 2010
As I've got older I've moved away from shooters and onto anything involving fantasy and RPGs, and RTS, gotta love things that have no realism whatsoever and are full of magic and such

Jun 26, 2009
Started out puzzle game (DAMM YOU HERDY GERDY!), FPS (orignle red faction), RPG (FFX),Stealth(splinter cell),whatever ocarina of time is (yes i went from ps2 to N64),racing(motorstorm),FPS(Resitence:FoM),Action-Adventure(Uncharted:DF), FPS (HALO:3),RPG(Back to PS2's KH2)and then today RPG(Still playing KH1)/FPS(BF:BC2)/Action-Adventure(Uncharted 2)/Whatever Sid Meier's Civilization games are/Puzzle(Trine).

Feriluce

Apr 1, 2010
I used to enjoy generic single player FPS's(half-life, halo, etc.), but now I really dont like them for some reason. I have no idea why this is, I dont really like the tension they create, when a monster can emerge from anywhere at any time I guess.

HumpingStormTrooper

Feb 26, 2010
Placing Tetris next to Gears Of War; Of course my taste shifted over the years. Mostly because the diversity in genres(or games, in your sense) has boomed.

rabidmidget

Apr 18, 2008
Recently I have started becoming a huge fan of sandbox games and I now seek out games with good stories.

5w4tt

Jun 7, 2010
I used to play adventure and platformer games alot. Novadays I like to play shooter (preferring sandbox-games but enjoyng linear games with good atmosphere and story) and action-RPG like Mass Effect and Alpha Protocol.

Arawn.Chernobog

Nov 17, 2009
When I started playing I'd play mostly anything I'd get my hands on (even if I was good/terrible at it)

Now I'm a non-conventional FPS; Western RPG; non-conventional J"RPG" (more like Adventure titles, but wtv); RTS and TBS man...

Sometimes fighting games too

Kagim

Aug 26, 2009
I started off playing hardcore on RPG and RTS games. Wouldn't touch anything else. Though FPS games were for idiots. Then one day i played Battlefront 2 and that started a little flame of interest. Right now i own Bioshock one and two. Resistance, Killzone 2 Alpha Protocol and dead space. I really appreciate a good FPS now and give every game a fair chance regardless of genre. I love any game that's fun now rather then maintaining a genre bias.