Poll: Have you ever been in love?

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
Aurgelmir said:
BabyRaptor said:
krazykidd said:
So for my 1000th post, i wanted to talk about something happy. So the obvious thing is love. My question for you escapist is:

Have you ever been in love? and also what is your personal definition of love?

Heres to hoping you guys will come in great numbers and tell of your experience.
Have I ever told you that I love your avatar, OP? That was a truly spectacular game.

Yes, I have been in love. I'd daresay I am right now, in fact. It's the most amazing feeling in the world.

There's just nothing like hearing from him first thing in the morning. Or those random moments of affection out of nowhere.

I could ramble.
Thats Legends of Legaia isn't it? Best JRPG of its generation.

As for the question, my answer is yes.
Indeed it is. That game is still one of my favourites...Pretty much single-handedly made me a gamer.

Criquefreak

Mar 19, 2010
There's been a few times I'd thought I'd been in love (romantic), but learned later in life it was just hero-worship (wanted to be more like them, but not with them).

Best theoretical definitions at this point?

Love (romantic): A combination of physical, emotional, and mental attractions with desires to be a partner-participant in their life and have reciprocal attractions and desires from them.

Love (platonic): mental and emotional attraction with desires of sharing experiences which may involve a desire of reciprocal relationship.

Love (unconditional): having concern for the well-being of another and a desire to help them be happy (directly or indirectly) regardless of opportunity to act on such a desire.

phylline

Oct 23, 2011
Drummie666 said:
Romantically

I mean, really caring about someone without it being romantic, I suppose so. My brother, my mother, my now ex-drum teacher and... well, my cat.
That's it though and I've been thinking lately that I'm capable of romantic love.

God I need to see a psychiatrist.
Oh my gosh, I adore scrubs!!! /fangirl

Ah, psychiatrists are overrated, romantic love is mainly ego-stroking infatuation. ;D

PizzaSHARK

Jan 22, 2011
dorkette1990 said:
Yes, I have been and am in love.

To me, love is needing the other person. You love someone when it physically hurts when you think about being away, and when you know them inside and out (like the fact that I can pick out food for my significant others without asking and it's the right choice). Because even though I'm jaded, I'm still a romantic.
No, that's just being neurotic and co-dependent. Neither of those things is good.

If you're getting butterflies just being around them, you're not in love.

Hippobatman

Resident Mario sprite
Jun 18, 2008
DesiPrinceX09 said:
Very good, sir. I grant you many well wishes and I sincerely hope you and your ladyfriend may find happiness together. Thanks for lighting up my day.

As for me, I've been in love once. Sad to say that after a year or so in a relationship with her, we found out that it wasn't working out, and we split ways.

Now I'm just going on with my life, hoping to some day meet someone who doesn't require me to be perfect by some arbitrary definition.

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
Yep. Not something I want to experience again in a hurry, since it has a way of turning you into a human doormat. Which eventually gets thrown out.

Ryu-Kage

May 6, 2011
To be honest, I don't know. There was one girl I had strong feelings toward for a long time. Whenever I saw her smile, even if I was feeling down, it would make me feel a little better. She was also really fun to talk to, even if we disagreed on the movies or music we liked sometimes. We had known each other since first grade and hung out a lot. In middle school, we ended up in different clusters, so she went off and made a lot of new friends, and we didn't hang out much. In high school, we talked to each other quite a bit since we shared a lot of the same classes again. I tried asking her out, but most times were kind of unsuccessful. When we went to college, we went to two different ones, but we tried to keep in touch.

For a while, I thought things between us were pretty cool. She even informed me that although she pretty much enjoys any kind of music, she cannot stand Insane Clown Posse (I later listened to that song "Miracles" and was banging my head in agony listening to that garbage). But then, one day, she just stopped talking to me. I'm still not entirely sure what I did. Maybe I got creepy somehow. See, she kind of vanished from Facebook, so I got worried that something happened to her, but no matter how many times I called her or sent IMs through Meebo, she wouldn't respond. We were friends on Facebook before this, but when her account reappeared, we weren't listed as friends anymore, so I tried to add her and was rejected. I stopped trying to get in touch with her after that.

It's been over a year since I've talked to this girl. Since then, I can still function in life, and I put up a decent poker face (usually). But I haven't really had as much self-confidence or energy as I did before. I've considered trying to go out with another girl, but I haven't had the guts to ask anyone, nor the knowledge that we'd actually get along.

But what hurts the most about this situation is that I thought we were good friends for a long time, and then it just stopped cold turkey. That's kind of messed-up. I'm still not totally sure anymore if I was in love with her (I think that I was), but either way, I still miss my friend and want to fix this somehow. I just don't know what I would say...

Sorry if this story bored or annoyed you, but I needed to vent. This drives me mad sometimes. -_-

MassiveGeek

Jan 11, 2009
Yes.

Like most people I love my family and friends. My love is free, although my respect is not.

But getting on the type of love that you mean, yes. Sadly, it was not in a way that I could uphold a relationship on - I was with a lovely guy for quite a while, but I've come to realise that dick is just what I want.
We're still good friends.

Eventually I'm sure I'll find someone I'm both mentally and physically attracted to.

GameMaNiAC

Sep 8, 2010
Yep. Been in love three times. Got my heart ripped apart every single time. Still waiting for that special someone who will actually love me.