Poll: Have you ever bought a console for one game?

yankeefan19

Mar 20, 2009
Have you ever bought a video game console just to get one game? What was the game? I bought the Xbox because of the original Halo and I bought the 360 because of Halo 3.

Dec 14, 2009
I will most likely buy a WiiU for Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate.

Hopefully, there will be other games I want by then, but I will be getting it for that game :D

EscapeGoat_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2008
Yeah, although in all but one case they've been older consoles that I could get on the cheap.

I bought an Xbox for Jade Empire, ended up getting a decent portion of the back catalogue.

I bought a GameCube for Luigi's Mansion, ended up getting a ton of other stuff for it very quickly thanks to my older brother dumping all his old GameCube games on my lap for my 17th birthday.

I bought a PSP for Dissidia: Final Fantasy, and then realised there's loads of good stuff for the PSP.

I bought a DS purely for the then-new Pokemon Platinum, although I hadn't realised my DS was in a bundle pack, so it came with Professor Layton and the Curious Village, which was awesome.

And finally, when I get a 3DS, it's going to be purely for Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance, and then I'll see about getting other stuff for it afterwards.

Iyon

Recovering Lurker
May 16, 2012
I bought an Xbox for Fable: The Lost Chapters. Not long after that I bought an Xbox 360 for Oblivion. I actually owned the game for quite a while before I bought the console.

Shinsei-J

Prunus Girl is best girl!
Apr 28, 2011
Kind of, but it was more of the case that it broke me.
I was pushed over the edge to re-buy a PS3 because of Ni No Kuni coming out next year.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Soul Calibur - Dreamcast
Halo - Xbox
Gravity Rush - Vita
Mushihimesama Futari - Xbox 360

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
After being furious with the PC version of Mass Effect for literally breaking ten second into the first mission no matter what I did, I bought an XBox360 and the game for it. Best decision ever.

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
PS2 on release for whatever the obscene price it was for FFX... And it's one of my least favourites. Ah well. I still use it for all my Playstation 1 games, as well. I bought a DS for Pokemon, I think, too, but I do have a few games for it.

Ljs1121

Mar 17, 2011
In the past, no.

In the future, probably. I'll most likely be picking up a Wii U just because Super Smash Brothers. And Zelda.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Nope.
There's got to be a good amount that I want on it.

So, while the Wii U looks alright, all I can think of that I want on it is Bayonetta 2 and maybe Monster Hunter. So I won't be getting one any time soon.

IllumInaTIma

Flesh is but a garment!
Feb 6, 2012
I bought PS Vita hoping that sooner or later Tekken Tag Tournament 2 will be ported on it... That didn't happen. But now I got Persona 4: Golden, so I have no regrets.
Captcha: Win hands down

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
God Of War III single-handedly convinced me to get a PS3.
Of course, I've gotten some other games since then.
I came for God Of War and stayed for Uncharted and Infamous.

As soon as a Metroid game comes out for it I'll probably get a Wii U.
A stand-alone Metroid game, I don't count that Metroid Blast NintendoLand mini-game.

Gill Kaiser

Sep 3, 2008
Why would you buy a console if you didn't have a game you wanted to play in mind?

My reason to buy a 360 was the release of the original Mass Effect.

felbot

May 11, 2011
well i did want to get a xbox 360 for halo 3, ended up getting oblivion instead.

i couldnt figure out how to level up.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Nope. There has to be at least a few titles out and some promising stuff on the horizon before I'll pony up the cash for a new console.