Poll: Have you ever changed your username?

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
A simple question for my fellow Escapists, inspired by a recent thread of a user who'd changed their username, how many of you have changed your username? If so, why did you change it and what was it previously? Have you regretted the change since? If you haven't changed yours, what are your reasons for keeping it the same?

As for myself, I'm one of the relatively few users who has changed their username twice, first time by the standard method very soon after I joined the Escapist and second time in February this year by a special request to Nasrin, who kindly granted my wish.

JoJo of the Pie -> JoJoDeathunter -> JoJo

The first time I changed my name to fit in with my other online accounts, the second time because I didn't want to have the word "death" in my name any longer and I felt my old name was overly long, complicated and difficult to spell. I'm very happy with the clean shortness of my current name :-D

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
I've never changed mine, since I left out the capitalisation on purpose.

I kind of want to, but if I ever do change my username, it'll be drastic. I need to find another one I'm completely happy with first, since you only get one change here. /drama

I liked your old one, JoJo D:

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Nope,

tried to but the name I want is still held by some guy whose last post was in 2009 :(

Usually go by Gobla.

geK0

Jun 24, 2011
I didn't know there was an option to change my username; I Intend to keep my name anyway.

Dinwatr

Jun 26, 2011
I haven't yet, but I'm eventually going to to fix the misspelling. I've been "Dinwar" for a decade now, all over the internet--forums, Minecraft servers, MMOs, etc. I've got my SCA name, my family name, the name people at work call me, and my online name. Changing my online name would be akin to changing my legal name at this point.

Iyon

Recovering Lurker
May 16, 2012
When I first created this account my username was Sunday Hare, which is an anagram of my name. I thought it was kind of dumb though so once I actually started posting more frequently I changed it to Iyon.

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
I used to be oconneki (Guess why >_>), but I thought it was stupid so I changed it to something slightly less stupid :(

The Origin of the Toad one

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Never. I've gone through my origin story quite a few times and the username is like a second first name for me now. I'm not changing it.

Pandalisk

Jan 25, 2009
Never, I really like my name and i use it for everything. Besides people recognize me in Steam and such by the name, what could i possibly change it to now? Its more my name than my actually name since only my family call me by my first name.

Also i reckon it'd be weird for whoever actually takes note of my existence on this forum if i changed it, they'd be all "Where is Pandalisk" and cry many tears.

Berithil

Maintenence Man of the Universe
Mar 19, 2009
Nope. This is a username I've been using since 2007. I use it for pretty much everything. It's a unique, original name, so I'm sticking with it.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
On the Escapist? No. In general...well, yes. This handle came from changing another one. I moved through several, my second to last one was Lord_DooM until I misspelled it once and turned into Lord_Dopo, I liked it, got rid of the title (since it sounded retarded already), and capitalised the P, then ran with it. I've been using it since 2004 (OK, consistently since 2005).

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
I have. When I first joined the Escapist, my username was "RocketPocket."

To this day, I have no idea what was going through my head when I decided on that username. Naturally, when James Cameron's Avatar came out in theaters, I liked the movie so much I changed my username.

I find it rolls off the tongue rather nicely.

Apr 8, 2010
Well I was thinking of changing it recently, but the big...
You cannot change your username!
...in my profile kinda makes this point moot[footnote]coupled with me being to lazy to pm a mod too, I have to admit[/footnote]. Though, I'm actually curious as to why, if these name changes are actually as common as this thread suggests.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
No but I want to. I mean I am so accustomed with my current username that I afraid that when I do change it, some people will not recognise the new username as me.

wintercoat

Nov 26, 2011
Nope. I am wintercoat. My name is a part of my online identity. Changing it would be like changing my first name.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Username used to be completely in lowercase.

I decided to change the first letter to uppercase. Apart from that, it has remained the same.

Insanum

The Basement Caretaker.
May 26, 2009
Nope, I always have, and always will be xx_Prosnipez_xx.

Just kidding. Im just that coffee guy.