Poll: Having a "thumbs-up" function on the Escapist, yes or no?

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Fappy said:
I don't need a thumbs up system to tell me that everyone loves and agrees with my insightful/hysterical comments.
*thumbs down*

OP: No, we'd end up with Escapist karma-whores.
People would upvote the more popular members and newer ones would be afraid to post in case they're down voted into oblivion.

lRookiel

Lord of Infinite Grins
Jun 30, 2011
No... If I like someones post enough I will quote them my own personal message. I don't want this site turning into youtube with all the thumb whores and such ...

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
I came in more for it and I would say even now I am for it but I was surprised at the solid reasoning not to implement the system.

General Twinkletoes

Suppository of Wisdom
Jan 24, 2011
Definitely not, there'd be too many vote whores, it would get annoying as hell. The popularity contest would probably make the place a lot worse. I really don't see a single point for a voting system on a place like the escapist. It works alright on reddit and youtube because of the way posts are sorted and the type of forum they are, but it seems totally useless here.

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
Fappy said:
I don't need a thumbs up system to tell me that everyone loves and agrees with my insightful/hysterical comments.
*Thumbs Down*

[small]Who didn't anticipate responses like this coming? Fappy did, I'm sure.[/small]

OT: I can see the appeal of having a thumbs up/down system but having read the comments above about how it could lead to Chaos/Catastrophe/Armageddon I have to go WITH THE THUMBS UP IDEA SO THE ESCAPIST WILL CRASH AND BURN!!!

*pant-pant-WHEEZE-pant*

Okay! It's okay! I was just joking! Put down the torches, already!

[small]Please...please....I'll be good! Don't hurt me, please...[/small]

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
No. It would lead, as it always does, to dickheads trying to get dick points by being number 1. Hell, some people use post count and badges as dick point already.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Z of the Na said:
I was more referring to people merely making posts to "whore" thumbs-ups.

Little drives me up the wall more than that.
I tend to use that as a litmus test of a truly shallow individual.

People are getting excited about upvotes on their posts, like it's some significant badge of honour.

Besides, we have polls anyway which usually offer more than just a "Yea/Nea" response.

I prefer this place to primarily be a discussion board than a popularity contest.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
No! The last thing I want to see is how popular one stupid comment is. You know it will happen.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
Rawne1980 said:
Next we'll have people asking for little gold stars so they feel like they made a good post.
Gold star? Like, just pixels? I'm not going to sette for anything less than a tray of cookies and hot cocoa personally delivered by an even hotter nurse when I make a good post.

Seriously, gold stars...*scoff*

As for the question, I'd agree that it discourages discussion, because people will just thumb either way and leave it at that without bothering to post. But hey, maybe we could include a "thumb sideways" too, for the indecisive folks or those who vote "Bacon" or something.

Heronblade

Apr 12, 2011
Yea... no

I'm here because of the possibility of meaningful, interesting, or just plain old entertaining discussion, not to participate in yet another of the popularity contest cesspools that seem to have pretty much taken over the internet these days. From youtube to twitter, far too many people put too much stock in what pleases the faceless mob (and/or gets them pissed off in some cases), and far too little in their own thoughts and ideas.

If you wish to show your appreciation for a post, it is entirely possible to do so while making your own contribution to the thread.

CommanderL

May 12, 2011
Nope It would ruin discussion as many other people have said plus it would bring out the worst of this community

greenice

Apr 7, 2010
Why do so many people feel the need to turn every site into facebook/youtube? Seriously I see no reason why we would do that, the escapist is fine as it is, a thumbs system would just reduce the amount of posts, and would discourage people from actually saying their opinion, so in case that wasn't clear...no.

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
The quality of a website is not defined by having a thumbs up/like/recommend/+rep button or not. Seriously guys, if you think this place would go to shit if something like that was introduced, you have a seriously low opinion of the site as is.

I for one welcome our new thumbs up button overlords. It would provide a better justification for the low content posts rule, which is pretty easily subverted as is.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
Much like a rep system it can be abused and used to silence people and/or marginalize them so i vote no.

SlaveNumber23

A WordlessThing, a ThinglessWord
Aug 9, 2011
No thanks, all thumbs up/thumbs down systems do is add another anonymous way to stone anyone with an unpopular opinion. Thumbs up has very little benefit and promotes popularity contests while discouraging discussion. The English language provides us with an infinitely more precise and meaningful way to tell people we approve of what they have said than some soulless Boolean like/dislike button. These forums are about discussion, unique opinions and points of view should be welcomed or at the very least respected, not left to the merciless clutches of a black and white judge.

Imagine you are having a face to face conversation with someone and to your points all they reply with is "Yes." or "No." because that is all a thumbs up/thumbs down system achieves.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010

I've seen it work well on a couple of forums, but they're much smaller and therefore can't really turn into the huge popularity contest that would be inevitable if it happened here. The only potential benefit would be that it would get rid of those "+1 for you" style posts but the low content rule tends to get rid of people like that fairly quickly anyway.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
No.

Unlike YouTube, a forum isn't where you post content for it to be viewed and hopefully enjoyed. In a forum, you post to voice your opinions and participate in discussion. Adding a 'like' or thumbs-up/down system would only serve the make the forums more superficial, and more about being well-liked.

Worst-case scenario, the community would devolve into users constantly trying to one-up each other so that they're more popular. Of course, that's the worst possible outcome and I don't think we escapists are so petty as to let that happen.

Despite anything else, though... what would a 'like/dislike' system add? I don't see much substance for it in a forum mentality.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
If the gun control threads taught me anything its that people will thumbs up/+1 any silly comment that happens to support their views and downvote anything that opposes it.

Oh also adds incentive to dramatize and adds heavy layers of sarcasm/snarkiness/idiocy in posts so as to make it more edgy and get seen more, see youtube for a good example of all that is wrong with upvoting/downvoting.