Poll: 'Heavier' music,can it last?

DoExMetal

Feb 25, 2009
The Black Adder said:
I laugh when I see people say how much they love metal and then they say a bands name like Black Dahlia Murder or Lamb of God. I guess most of you are just 13 year old kids who just discover "metal" and don't know anything but what the t-shirts say at Hot Topic. I've only been listen to metal for about 10 year and I try to listen to just about any metal band that I could find. Most of the best stuff was made in the early 80s and died in the late 80s early 90s. There are some good bands that are out today, but they are few and far between.
and what is wrong with The Black Dahlia Murder? i can listen to them one day, and go listen to Death or Origin the next. to say people who listen to BDM or LoG just discovered metal is ludicrous. also, have you been in a Hot Topic store lately? they no longer cater to the "metal" crowd. it is all about the trendy scene kids who listen to shit like Waking the Cadaver and Suicide Silence. i've even questioned one of the employees at the local Hot Topic about their knowledge of record stores that specialize in death metal. she failed miserably if you are wondering. while i am not going to deny the contributions of bands such as Judas Priest or Iron Maiden, i can only tolerate them for so long. it is the bands in the current technical/progressive death metal scene that tickle my fancy.

Raptoricus

Jan 13, 2009
DoExMetal said:
and what is wrong with The Black Dahlia Murder? i can listen to them one day, and go listen to Death or Origin the next. to say people who listen to BDM or LoG just discovered metal is ludicrous. also, have you been in a Hot Topic store lately? they no longer cater to the "metal" crowd. it is all about the trendy scene kids who listen to shit like Waking the Cadaver and Suicide Silence. i've even questioned one of the employees at the local Hot Topic about their knowledge of record stores that specialize in death metal. she failed miserably if you are wondering. while i am not going to deny the contributions of bands such as Judas Priest or Iron Maiden, i can only tolerate them for so long. it is the bands in the current technical/progressive death metal scene that tickle my fancy.
Ahh Death.. classic band.

CrazyJoe686

Dec 24, 2008
I would say that some heavy music has stood the test of time already, to some degree. Bands like Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Metallica and Black Sabbath, while not the hardest or fastest rockers out there, are starting to become classics. "Crazy Train", "Breakin' the Law", "The Number of the Beast", and "Enter Sandman" are somewhat known in pop culture. And if I'm not mistaken, the used the riff of Black Sabbath's "Iron Man" in the film during the credits. It's not much but at least it's something.

As for the heavier stuff, some of it has stood the test of time. Helloween has been going strong since the early 80's. "The Walls of Jericho" was a very fast, heavy album and they've gone up from their. "As Long as I Fall", one of their latest singles even spent some time on some charts. Slipknot, as little as I feel they may deserve it, is spending some time in the public eye.

It seems that being underground is an important part of metal. Refusing to be popular builds credibility and respect. Becoming popular may be viewed as "selling out", or "giving in to the man". Hell, Dream Theater almost gained popularity with their song "Pull Me Under" but they called out MTV for being the shallow, unsubstantial, whorish corporate machine that it is. Good on 'em. And as long as their are fellow headbangers who want the hardest shit to stuff in their ear-holes, or merely non-conformists who want something more, their will always be, in one form or another, something to make you deaf, in a good way.

D3athBat

Mar 1, 2009
The Black Adder said:
I laugh when I see people say how much they love metal and then they say a bands name like Black Dahlia Murder or Lamb of God. I guess most of you are just 13year old kids who just discover "metal" and don't know anything but what the t-shirts say at Hot Topic. I've only been listen to metal for about 10 year and I try to listen to just about any metal band that I could find. Most of the best stuff was made in the early 80s and died in the late 80s early 90s. There are some good bands that are out today, but they are few and far between.
You make a good point,there are a lot of posers out there,but if a kid says that he loves metal and only listens to BDM and LoG,then they still has a point,they just loves all the metal that theyve heard so far...they cant really be criticised for it...but again,i see where youre coming from...
and the 80's is was definatley a great time for music,i mean Pantera began in the 80's and they are possibly my favourite metal band of all time,though they really shined in the 90's...and ofcourse G'N'R began in the 80's,who are again,a favourite of mine...but id say that a lot of new stuff is really good too.

But are you accusing me of being,as you put it,a ''13year old kid who just discovers "metal" and doesn't know anything but what the t-shirts say at Hot Topic'' ?

The Black Adder

Sep 14, 2008
DoExMetal said:
The Black Adder said:
I laugh when I see people say how much they love metal and then they say a bands name like Black Dahlia Murder or Lamb of God. I guess most of you are just 13 year old kids who just discover "metal" and don't know anything but what the t-shirts say at Hot Topic. I've only been listen to metal for about 10 year and I try to listen to just about any metal band that I could find. Most of the best stuff was made in the early 80s and died in the late 80s early 90s. There are some good bands that are out today, but they are few and far between.
Nah, I don't really go to the mall. All I'm trying to get across is that you have to an open mind and not listen to one style.

The Black Adder

Sep 14, 2008
D3athBat said:
The Black Adder said:
I laugh when I see people say how much they love metal and then they say a bands name like Black Dahlia Murder or Lamb of God. I guess most of you are just 13year old kids who just discover "metal" and don't know anything but what the t-shirts say at Hot Topic. I've only been listen to metal for about 10 year and I try to listen to just about any metal band that I could find. Most of the best stuff was made in the early 80s and died in the late 80s early 90s. There are some good bands that are out today, but they are few and far between.
You make a good point,there are a lot of posers out there,but if a kid says that he loves metal and only listens to BDM and LoG,then they still has a point,they just loves all the metal that theyve heard so far...they cant really be criticised for it...but again,i see where youre coming from...
and the 80's is was definatley a great time for music,i mean Pantera began in the 80's and they are possibly my favourite metal band of all time,though they really shined in the 90's...and ofcourse G'N'R began in the 80's,who are again,a favourite of mine...but id say that a lot of new stuff is really good too.

But are you accusing me of being,as you put it,a ''13year old kid who just discovers "metal" and doesn't know anything but what the t-shirts say at Hot Topic'' ?
No, I was just making a generalization.

The Black Adder

Sep 14, 2008
The Black Adder said:
Fatalis67 said:
I see no good whatsoever in classic rock bands like Queen and Pink Floyd. It's boring and it's slow.

Timeless Classics:
Napalm Death
Carcass
Death
Suffocation
Immolation
Well whether you see no good in it or not, if it weren't for those bands there would be no death metal. What do you think the best Death album is?
Uh...Scream Bloody Gore? ITP?

D3athBat

Mar 1, 2009
The Black Adder said:
D3athBat said:
The Black Adder said:

Ah,thats ok :)

The Black Adder

Sep 14, 2008
TheNecroswanson said:
The Black Adder said:
What does Hot Topic have to do with metal any more?
You contradicted yourself there.
Excuse me, I'd rather not waste my time wondering or updating myself on something that doesn't pertain to me. I was using an example of people that I knew in when I was in High School which was about 3 or 4 years ago.

DoExMetal

Feb 25, 2009
The Black Adder said:
Nah, I don't really go to the mall. All I'm trying to get across is that you have to an open mind and not listen to one style.
i understand that, but perhaps some people only enjoy one style of metal. i absolutely hate power metal, but if something has to do with death metal, i'll listen to it. except deathcore of course, that bastard red-headed step-son. speaking of which, why is there breakdowns in my death metal? and why is there hardcore dancing at my shows?

D3athBat

Mar 1, 2009
TheNecroswanson said:
D3athBat said:
The Black Adder said:
D3athBat said:
The Black Adder said:

Ah,thats ok :)
No it's not.
He made a generalization on purpose and didn't care.
Touche my friend =P

D3athBat

Mar 1, 2009
dr iggy houdini said:
I don't really like heavy music. To me it feels like I'm not getting any emotions just sore ears. I'm not trying to beat down on heavy it just doesn't do anything for me.
I can see what you mean,but there is a lot of metal out there thats got more emotion than any classic rock stuff ive ever heard...maybe you just need to give a few more bands a try,and perhaps try slightly lighter stuff :)

Hydrus

Oct 16, 2008
Fatalis67 said:
Timeless Classics:
Napalm Death
Carcass
Death
Suffocation
Immolation
Those bands names are hilarious. Like "Death"......seriously, just "Death"? I lol'd.

The Black Adder

Sep 14, 2008
DoExMetal said:
The Black Adder said:
i understand that, but perhaps some people only enjoy one style of metal. i absolutely hate power metal, but if something has to do with death metal, i'll listen to it. except deathcore of course, that bastard red-headed step-son. speaking of which, why is there breakdowns in my death metal? and why is there hardcore dancing at my shows?
Yeah I can't stand most power metal either. I'm the same way with black metal. I hate most bands after the 1st and 2nd waves and a bunch in between.

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
yea its gonna last, name a form of music in the last 60 years that has not "lasted" or adapted to newer audiences.

I cant say as I'm a real fan of it, its just not gonna go anywhere and the second you thinks its done its going to make a resurgence. Just like every other fad

Dark Crusader

Sep 3, 2008
Will it last? Definetly, will it ever become as popular as pink floyd, etc? No.
Personally, I don't care if it becomes popular or not, because I enjoy it.
If there is any "music" and I use that term liberally that I think won't last, that is *Shudder* Rap.
Harder music may never become insanely popular, but to those who enjoy it, these bands will become classic icons.