Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Danzorz said:
nilcypher said:
Cliff_m85 said:
nilcypher said:
Cliff_m85 said:
The people you named don't hold a flame to The Who, Pink Floyd, or Eric Clapton. Sorry, but that's my personal opinion. Your bands may pretend that they're all tough and scary....but Eric Clapton threw his own baby out a window to write an epic song. Can any of your bands say the same? No.
I assume that you're referring to the tragic accident that claimed the life of Clapton's son?
Sure, believe the 'official' story. Fact: Babies don't throw themselves out of windows.
True, but four year olds sometimes fall.
*Raises hand*
How high up was the window?
He fell off a balcony.

speedcoreXdandy

Nov 4, 2008
I don't understand why people care so much about what music will be remembered in 20 years, it's all about what sounds good now. Heavy bands may not be remembered in mainstream circles in 20 years, but then again it doesn't have a mainstream following now, doesn't mean there won't be people out there who love it.

Also metal is rarely even heavy. There, I said it.

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
I don't really care what lasts and what doesn't, there'll always be plenty of stuff to listen to if you've got an open mind.

I would, however, love to see Avenged Sevenfold disappear and never return. But apparently that's just me.

Tili

Feb 2, 2009
"The Metal will live on."

If you've seen The Headbanger's Journey then you should see that metal evolves. Bands learn from eachother and create their own distinct style (well theoreticly ;)).

I think Metal will just continue to evolve and will just consume more and more other music genres.

Metal is really good anger release, it's not the opposite ;)

Anyway the Gothenburg sound ftw!

MrGFunk

Oct 29, 2008
D3athBat said:
And I love both types of music,aswell as many other genres,but it made me think of all the hate that 'heavier' music gets,people saying that its 'just noise' and that there is 'no point if you cant understand the words',and im wondering if this kind of music will stand the test of time in a world of pop culture adoring retards and go on to become renowned classics such as those by The Who,Pink floyd,and Eric Clapton?

Here is one person who hopes it can :)

Discuss.
I think musical tastes will change and music far heavier will emerge. If people like this music now, people will like it in the future.

I'm over heavier music, I don't listen to newer stuff but Biohazard, Sepultura, Tool, Machine Head are all classic and their talent is undeniable.

I don't think all bands/artists can be compared to massive names like The Who, Jimi Hendrix and Cream but there is loads of talent from that era who are still celebrated today so time will tell.

Good music will always be appreciated.

Andalusa

Mad Cat Lady
Feb 25, 2008
It shall live eternally or for as long as I live, anyway.
*wails along to the Beast and the Harlot*

Necrophagist

Jan 14, 2009
Slayer, Pantera, etc.

Lest we forget that "classic" rock comprises something like 35 years of evolving music. "Classic" rock covers The Beatles in the 1950's and 1960's, all the way up to ZZ Top in the early 90's. So to say that "classic" rock is a genre is totally wrong. Classic rock covers everything from Texas Shuffle, Blues, Rock, Power-Pop, Country (I'm looking at you, Eagles), and hip-hop. So to ask if "today's" music has lasting value like "classic" rock is a fallacy. The music of today will assimilate into the category of "classic" wrong.

An example. Growing up, I listened to a lot of Santana, after his "Supernatural" album came out. It included collaborations with mainstream rock artists like Everlast and Rob Thomas. And now, a handful of those songs are featured on "classic" rock stations. Bon Jovi is all over classic rock stations, and yet he has new music on country radio.

Another point - most "heavy" bands are newer, and most have 2-3 albums with a few exceptions. Compare this with a band like the Rolling Stones who have been making records for 40 years and have countless albums - it's no wonder they're seen as "timeless" because they've always been here.

I presume within a few decades, you'll have Slayer and Pantera considered "timeless" and we're going to be having this same conversation about the "new" music and how it's "just not the same". We old codgers who headbanged to Devil Driver will be hanging our head and shaking our fingers at this new-fangled music that the kids are all listening to and how it will never be timeless and eternal like our music was.

We are all part of an eternal renewal, the infinite return.

the_tramp

May 16, 2008
The major difference is that back in the day those were the chart topping hits, stuff that nearly everyone listened to and therefore there is nostalgia et al involved inclusive of the fact that say... your parents listened to it and you associate your childhood with happy memories that included those songs. Not to mention the fact that it was the new thing.

Of course nowadays is never going to be considered as classic as the 70/80's music because it has been done to death and most things have been done most music nowadays is rehashes of old work, not because they're copying but because there's only a limit of how many strings of notes and vocal regions that can be explored and a song to still sound good.

Iskenator67

Dec 12, 2008
My Comfy Chair
Country
United States
D3athBat said:
And dont just bash my/eachothers music tastes...I appreciate that everyone is entitled to an opinion,but lets keep it clean eh?...Unless its about Pop music ;)
I for one happen to enjoy pop music. where else can you find a bunch of hot looking women with great voices?
If you enjoy the heavy stuff that's fine but try to find a punk rocker who can hold a high note for 27 seconds and still look drop dead gorgeous while doing it.
I'm talking about people like The Pussycat Dolls, Mariah Carey, Leona Lewis, and others. If your going to be on stage viewed by millions it's nice if your, shall we say, "easy on the eyes".

Again, no offense to people who like the other stuff. Everyone's different. I listen to a little bit of everything because I like to expand my horizons and I recommend every one else to do the same.

MelziGurl

Jan 16, 2009
I think that certain music of my parents generation would have been considered 'heavier' than that of my grandparents time. So yes, I think that heavier music of my generation will last, just like all music.

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
Well songs like "One" will last for some time. Not as long as "Stairway to Heaven" but still long.

But bands like A7X, Trivium, CoB etc. won't be that lucky. I really like those bands but they just don't deliver timeless classics.

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
Fatalis67 said:
I see no good whatsoever in classic rock bands like Queen and Pink Floyd. It's boring and it's slow.

Timeless Classics:
Napalm Death
Carcass
Death
Suffocation
Immolation
I really hope you are sarcastic because if you are for real then just wow. Queen is not good?

FragKrag

Mar 2, 2009
Vlane said:
Well songs like "One" will last for some time. Not as long as "Stairway to Heaven" but still long.

But bands like A7X, Trivium, CoB etc. won't be that lucky. I really like those bands but they just don't deliver timeless classics.
I just want to ask how "One" is a classic. Other than being Metallica's first music video, it did nothing. If you want Metallica landmarks, stuff like Whiplash, Fight Fire with Fire, Creeping Death, Fade to Black, and Metal Militia come to mind.

Jhaotic

Dec 3, 2008
I don't know if I'm repeating what someone else said, so apologies if that is the case.

I don't think modern 'heavier' music will become "renowned classics" for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I don't think it has the mainstream appeal of the classic rock bands you stated, and as other people mentioned, part of the metalhead-culture seems to be not conforming and being underground. If a certain proportion of people do not like a music genre, I find it hard to believe that bands from that genre could be timeless classics. I realise that there are quite a few metal fans on this forum, but as far as I know, the majority of society are now into rnb, pop, indie rock and dnb, at least here in England. If I'm wrong, and more people like heavier music then I thought then good!

However, just like other genres of music, there are and will be legends in the metal genre and all the other subgenres of metal music. Also, I do not think that metal will 'die' away. Very few forms of music do, and are appreciated by people.

So I guess...I think metal music will last, but I doubt it will become timeless classics with non-metal fans. I do think there is a difference with Hendrix as for example, my music teacher appreciates his music whilst hating the vast vast majority of rock bands. I don't see that happening in general with people liking one or two heavy metal bands whilst still listening to a majority of whateverelse.

Personally, I'm not really into metal, but I can see why people enjoy it (I think..hehe) and I don't see it going away. In a good way.

Fatalis67

Apr 30, 2008
The Black Adder said:
Fatalis67 said:
I see no good whatsoever in classic rock bands like Queen and Pink Floyd. It's boring and it's slow.

Timeless Classics:
Napalm Death
Carcass
Death
Suffocation
Immolation
Well whether you see no good in it or not, if it weren't for those bands there would be no death metal. What do you think the best Death album is?
Leprosy or Symbolic

Rusty Bucket

Dec 2, 2008
I don't think there's any doubt about it lasting, of course it will. I'm just wondering how it'll change. We've already seen huge changes and evolutions in metal over the past couple of decades, and it isn't showing any signes of slowing. It's one of the things i like about metal, there always seems to be something new.

Oh, and if anyone wants to talk about anything metal, head over to the metal thread.

Vlane

Sep 14, 2008
FragKrag said:
Vlane said:

I just want to ask how "One" is a classic. Other than being Metallica's first music video, it did nothing. If you want Metallica landmarks, stuff like Whiplash, Fight Fire with Fire, Creeping Death, Fade to Black, and Metal Militia come to mind.
I don't know why, maybe because of the solo but the song is still popular.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
Flying-Emu said:
Nope.

I've yet to hear a song or band that has that instant "timeless" quality to it made within the 'heavier' genres.

Maybe it will happen, I don't know. All I know is that a lot of the 'heavier' music isn't played on the radio. And therefore, it won't be remembered. Few songs can be well-remembered if they're not radio-worthy.

And besides, they'll never touch the glory of Flock of Seagulls or AC/DC. Just never.
I'm fairly certain it's a regulation at this point that SOMEONE in EVERY convoy that sets out in Iraq HAS to play "Highway to Hell". I certainly heard it every freakin' time.