Poll: Help me understand

CaptQuakers

Feb 14, 2011
For the life of me I can't figure out why the Xbone is getting so much hate off of gamers.

People said they hated it before E3 for the lack of games so when they came out and showed off an impressive array of games people then decided to hate it due to the price which in the grand scheme of things is such a minor point, If you're buying a console because it's cheaper you are foolish, You are going to get your monies worth out of it so why go with a console that is $100's cheaper ? Why not go for the console that has the more impressive games and/or more features.

People bring up the DRM but if DRM was such a problem would Steam had got so big ? Because however you look at it Steam is a form of DRM.

As for used games is letting the publisher charge you for playing a used game any different from the online pass code now ? Which whilst not a good thing people don't seem that pissed about it.

Sony showed very little in the way of exclusive games and yet got away with just telling us they have exclusive content which could be anything even DLC, Yet people say that they did an amazing job ? They also didn't really tell us anything we didn't already know about the console.

Also the Xbone got slaughter for the way it looked and the PS4 which is the same but a bit smaller gets off scot free.

I'm not really sure which console I will be getting or if I buy a PC but for the life of me I cannot figure out what's with all the hate.

So The Escapist help me out please, Is it just because Microsoft are hated or is there an actual reason ? :)

NOTE: Why was there no fuss kicked up about having to have PlayStation plus to play online as well ?

Dec 14, 2009
Steam doesn't require you to log in every 24 hours to play offline.
Steam doesn't charge you for the privilege to then be able to play those games online.

Microsoft wants to sell me, a person living is the UK, more fucking money than gamers in the US, for less fucking features.

It's also more expensive to begin with, and all it had to offer was CoD in space, more Halo, and games I can get on other platforms.

Sony may very well charge for their online multiplayer service, but I bet my arse that gamers will benefit more from PSN+ than with XBL.

CaptQuakers

Feb 14, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
Steam doesn't charge you for the privilege to then be able to play those games online.

Microsoft wants to sell me, a person living is the UK, more fucking money than gamers in the US, for less fucking features.

It's also more expensive to begin with, and all it had to offer was CoD in space, more Halo, and games I can get on other platforms.

Sony may very well charge for their online multiplayer service, but I bet my arse that gamers will benefit more from PSN+ than with XBL.
You do know the PS4 is stupidly expensive in the Uk compared to the US price as well right ? We never get a good deal due to our stupid VAT taxes. If you're are talking about the Tv stuff then fair enough I am curious as too how that would work in the UK. But what other features are we missing out on ?

As for the games that obviously a person to person choice so I can't deny that.

And as for XBL vs PSN they will be much of the same thing surely ?

BeeGeenie

May 30, 2012
mmm... All of the above? Well, except looks. I don't care what the thing looks like.

I don't care about the multiplayer surcharge, because I don't play multiplayer, so I can't really count it against them.

I'll still probably stick to PC for a while yet, but I can see myself buying a PS4 eventually.

CaptQuakers

Feb 14, 2011
BeeGeenie said:
mmm... All of the above? Well, except looks. I don't care what the thing looks like.

I don't care about the multiplayer surcharge, because I don't play multiplayer, so I can't really count it against them.

I'll still probably stick to PC for a while yet, but I can see myself buying a PS4 eventually.
Good point I did leave that out but it was on purpose,I wanted more of a defined reason :). If you're not playing online you would be foolish to get an Xbone in my opinion.

Dec 14, 2009
CaptQuakers said:
Daystar Clarion said:

You do know the PS4 is stupidly expensive in the Uk compared to the US price as well right ? We never get a good deal due to our stupid VAT taxes. If you're are talking about the Tv stuff then fair enough I am curious as too how that would work in the UK. But what other features are we missing out on ?

PSN+ offers loads of current stuff, to download for free, including games, themes, etc.

XBL charges you for the privilege of getting face fucked by advertising.

I doubt that trend will change.

Regardless, the PS4 is a good 80 quid cheaper, and doesn't have DRM and no bullshit preowned practice.

Pretty easy decision.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
CaptQuakers said:
As it stands, PS+ is a MUCH better value than XBL. PS+ offers free games (for as long as you're signed up), those games being some pretty huge titles (recently Uncharted 3), and discounts for PSN purchases for keeps (even after you've canceled subscription). Last time I checked, PSN (including PS+ and non PS+) didn't have intrusive ads. There are also several other features (like data backup), but I don't personally know much about them. PSN also uses a lot more customer loyalty promotions.

CaptQuakers

Feb 14, 2011
Daystar Clarion said:
CaptQuakers said:
Daystar Clarion said:

PSN+ offers loads of current stuff, to download for free, including games, themes, etc.

XBL charges you for the privilege of getting face fucked by advertising.

I doubt that trend will change.

Regardless, the PS4 is a good 80 quid cheaper, and doesn't have DRM and no bullshit preowned practice.

Pretty easy decision.
Games fair enough but Xbox does free gamer pictures and themes as well, As for the ads that is bullshit having to pay for a service with a direct debit and still getting ads.

CaptQuakers

Feb 14, 2011
Eclipse Dragon said:
CaptQuakers said:
As it stands, PS+ is a MUCH better value than XBL. PS+ offers free games (for as long as you're signed up), those games being some pretty huge titles (recently Uncharted 3), and discounts for PSN purchases for keeps (even after you've canceled subscription). Last time I checked, PSN (including PS+ and non PS+) didn't have intrusive ads. There are also several other features (like data backup), but I don't personally know much about them. PSN also uses a lot more customer loyalty promotions.
But the XBL gold members get discounts on games as well don't they ?

Have they mentioned how they will be making PSN more secure this time round out of interest ?

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
CaptQuakers said:
But the XBL gold members get discounts on games as well don't they ?
I can't say if XBL gold members get discounts as I don't have much experience with XBL gold. I tried once upon a time to sign up, however Microsoft told me I needed points, I went (to the online store) to get those points and pay with my credit (debit) card, and Microsoft told me I couldn't do that either (because of a system glitch which was never resolved in the 360's lifetime). Sure I could have gone out of my way, drove to the store, purchased a points card (which are overpriced IMO), drove back home, inputted the code and received my points that way, but that led me to deciding I didn't want to deal with Microsoft's online service ever again. (I really didn't like the fact that I needed to buy a points card, just to get around a glitch they refused to fix in their own system).

That being said, Microsoft did get rid of the points system in favor of real money for the XBox One, but they probably still won't accept my credit card.

CaptQuakers said:
Have they mentioned how they will be making PSN more secure this time round out of interest?
They already have, they completely retooled their whole system after they got hacked, in addition to that, they also gave all affected customers free identity theft protection for a year, a free year of PS+, and three free AAA games (from a list) as an apology.

StupidNincompoop

Oct 27, 2012
For me, first of all, all of the exclusives shown on the xbox 1 were mediocre or okay at best. Dead rising 3 is no longer dead rising by the looks of it. All of the other games that microsoft showed were pretty underwhelming and uninteresting.

The games shown in microsoft's presentation were just kind of all over the place. FIGHTING GAME! PARKOUR GAME! RACING GAME! MINECRA- oh wait no lol we didn't really have anything to say about thaQUANTUM BREAK FUCK YEAAAAAH

The way that the games in the sony presentation were being shown was also done well. I don't really like steampunk or Victorian era games, yet The order: 1866 actually looked interesting to me. I usually really don't like sci-fi games, and yet Destiny looked interesting to me. Hell, even the new final fantasy game looked interesting.

As for the rest of the games shown at microsoft's presentation:

-Ryse looks pretty much just like an interactive movie where you sometimes mash a button to do things, and then walk to the next cutscene.
-Sunset overdrive is basically the exact same thing as the Dying Light game that techland are making.
-World of tanks is a game that barely anybody seems to actually care about.
-Max: The curse of the brotherhood looked like a good game, but it didn't look like there was any reason that it should've been on the 360/xbox 1.
-Dark souls 2 is now actiony.
-Killer instinct was basically just another fighting game.
-Quantum break turned out to be action movie: the video game.
-Project spark looks like it'll turn out to be a good game, but it's not an exclusive and will be available on PC.
-Below was basically impossible to see what was actually happening because it was so small.
-Battlefield 4, when they got it working, looked alright but the new feature of commanding a team online is a really terrible idea.

All of the gameplay that microsoft showed was clearly scripted and not that interesting because it was so scripted. The gameplay from sony didn't seem as much like it was scripted, and so it felt more like the players were actually having a good time playing those games rather than something pre-recorded.

"They also didn't really tell us anything we didn't already know about the console."
Neither did microsoft.

"Also the Xbone got slaughter for the way it looked and the PS4 which is the same but a bit smaller gets off scot free."
I wouldn't say "scot free" as i saw quite a few comments saying that people thought it looked worse or just as bad as the xbox 1. I actually kind of like the look of it, apart from the slanted design, but to me it looks similar to the ps2, which i like.

"NOTE: Why was there no fuss kicked up about having to have PlayStation plus to play online as well ?"

Again, i've already seen quite a few people complaining about that. I don't understand why you'd complain about this but not xbox live, considering xbox live was the exact same thing. It looks as though playstation plus will actually not only be slightly less expensive than xbox live, but you also get free games every month. My personal experiences with playstation online have been much better than with xbox live, when i tried xbox live it would take around 5-10 minutes to connect to a game and then the servers would keep migrating which would interrupt gameplay, usually almost every game, at least once a game.

Finally, the difference of $499 and $399 might not seem like a lot. But to the rest of the world it's more of a bigger deal. For example, £429 (UK price of xbox 1) would actually be around $670. Around the same price for the rest of europe as well.

CaptQuakers

Feb 14, 2011
StupidNincompoop said:
World of tanks has something like 60 million players world wide, That's more than most AAA titles !

As for the other games that is your opinion so again it's not for me to disagree with you about that.

XBL is not slow at all I have found PSN much worse than XBL in previous experience.

And both were clearly scripted, You would be foolish not to script a game you're showing off

Wolfram Janssen

Jun 11, 2013
Having a hard time to understand? Yes, maybe Steam is DRM, but the price of the games is completely different. For one game on the consoles, i could get 10 different "copies" at steam.

Now for the comparisson: If you go to your cardealer and buy a car, and he would say: untill now you could do what you wanted with it, but its over. From now on, you are only allowed to let people living in your house drive it, and if you want to sell it (if the manufacturer allows it), you can only sell it at one place, and if you are the second user, you will have to pay an extra fee.

Sure you can say: hey, i dont buy many second hand cars, and nobody drives my car but myself, so ok, but i guess the majority of people will say: hey, i wont buy your car but buy it somewere else and tell everybody what a crappy dealer you are. That is exactly what happens here.

Even more so: the history proved it. Online gaming was always free, untill MS got away with it and now even Sony says that they can get more money out of you for absolutely nothing.

If nobody steps up now, i can garrantee you that the next console will let you buy a game for $150, and when you get home you pay $10 for registration of that game and $5 to update your profile for the game (manditory)

The_Scrivener

Nov 4, 2012
Consumer rights is the most important reason. The Sony presentation basically amounted to them walking out and saying, "Hi. We're not retarded." Which was plenty.

All of the above.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
I'll go with all of the above, however as for the conference Sony wasn't really spectacular, I think all the good will towards Sony is due to a combination of:
-Microsoft ignoring issues that bother gamers at their conference.
-Sony being very clear about their online and used game policies, which ended up being what everyone wanted.
-Sony had a great line-up even if some of the big games weren't PS4 exclusive.
-Sony's language about having trust in their consumers, and acknowledging used games are important.

There are others of course, but this is all I can think of at the moment.

T_ConX

Mar 8, 2010
Games:
KH3, FF15, and Second Son are the exclusives I'm most interested in.

Lack of DRM:
"Our console will have a feature that has been in every other console released since the 80's!" *Thunderous Applause*

Price:
I wanted them to drag Kazuo Hirai on stage, just so he could say it.

Trueflame

Apr 16, 2013
Steam sells games at much cheaper prices than any console. Not to mention that you don't have to spend hundreds on Steam. You simply make an account on their website. So while yeah, it's DRM and prevents trade of used games, it has made used games in the console sense obsolete, because it sells them even cheaper than used disks are. That's why gamers can forgive and even like Steam, while continuing to revile Microsoft's Xbox One.

But you're forgetting the entire Kinect issue, which is a major factor. I don't care for the Kinect or any type of motion and voice controls. I simply don't see them as easier or improving my life in any way. A mandatory or even semi-mandatory Kinect, that might or might not be always on, is simply not something I want to have in my life. This should be especially clear in light of all the NSA news we've been hearing lately, because it means that if there is a camera in your house, they will get into it. So best case scenario I have a useless Kinect that I simply don't want, and worst case scenario is that I have a useless Kinect that I have to use, which also spies on me. Either way it's not a selling point for the Xbox One.

Then there's the fact that it requires an online check once every 24 hours. Which, believe it or not, can be problematic for some people, sometimes even for me despite living in a major city on the east coast of the US, and with a pretty fast internet connection too.

Finally, the Microsoft started the Xbox One reveal by focusing on TV and other such applications. These things might be useful or even good, for certain people. People who don't have a smart tv, who don't have a PC connected to their television, who don't have some other streaming box, and so forth. But I'm not one of those people, and even I was, would I be interested in an expensive console over a $100 streaming device? Hell no.

So those are the reasons why people were primed against the Xbox prior to E3. Then came the pricetag, which is substantial. The PS3 was hated for being just $100 more, and that was when Blu-ray players alone ran in the hundreds of dollars.

And then finally the PS4 was revealed, at $100 less, with all of the functionality the Xbox One is missing, and boasting as large or even larger a library of games, exclusive and others. You say the PS4 didn't reveal many exclusives, but I say it had the Xbox One beat simply with the offerings from Square Enix, and I'm no longer even a fan of that company! As for the console designs, that was a ridiculously dumb complaint, and I never had a problem with the Xbox One looking the way it did. But the PS4 is angled, and is supposed to be smaller, so I can see why it is winning in the aesthetic department as well.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
StupidNincompoop said:
-Battlefield 4, when they got it working, looked alright but the new feature of commanding a team online is a really terrible idea.
Commander isn't a new feature. It's the reason you saw a lot of teamwork in BF2 matches even in servers with a lot of pubs in them. Commanders select a squad and give an order for a certain objective, squad leader OKs it and it passes down to the squadies. I'm not going to say these things always happened but I still have BF2 installed on my computer because the game is fun with a team working together. Another bonus to commanders was they controlled the artillery. When commanders were removed, long range AOE type shit went to different classes, and you had 20 guys wandering around with mortars and artillery strikes. Far better to have one heavy artillery barrage per team, in my opinion.

OT: Games, I was far more impressed with the variety and quality of PS3 exclusives this generation.

As to the other stuff you mention, consoles are consoles and PCs are PCs.
Why are you comparing the xbox to steam? Compare it to the PS4 because that's what Microsoft is competing against for your console purchases this generation. Sony isn't pulling any of that shit, Microsoft is. Clear winner here for Sony.
If you do insist on comparing it to steam, it will still lose. I accept not having used games when I purchase them from steam because they have all the other benefits of PC gaming, as well as lower prices. I'm not willing to give something up on a console when it's one of the main advantages consoles hold over PCs and there's another perfectly good console that lets me do what I wish with games I've bought.

Sony didn't reveal as many exclusives as microsoft at E3, but they also actually talked about games in their console reveal press conference earlier this year. Remember how microsoft spent so much time talking about TV they mentioned only two (multiplatform) games at the xbox reveal event? Yeah. No one has 'OMG gotta have' it exclusives yet. The numbers of exclusives are fairly even as well.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_4_games
and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_One_games
filter by exclusivity to the right to easily compare.

One thing you didn't bring up is as an offshoot of the DRM and used game limitations, the Xbox will require a broadband connection for it's daily check in. Now I have broadband access, but I have no control over either my broadband provider or Microsofts servers and shit happens. Lines get damaged, you move and can't get hooked up for weeks, bills don't get paid, angry assholes DDoS the shit out of Microsoft. With the PS4 you get to play single player games when those things happen, with the xbox you don't and that's enough for me right there.

Online passes. No one actually likes those and there was a fuss raised when they were implemented, but EA was the main offender and have sworn off them, so they claim. It should be noted that there's nothing to stop these appearing on PS4 games, but it's not nearly the same thing. Online passes don't prevent me entirely from selling a game to a friend instead of gamestop, though they'll lower the price I'd want to charge them. Online passes don't stop me from choosing a locally owned used game store if I want to spend my money in my community (I usually do). If that store isn't approved by MS, they'll not only be unable to purchase a game from me but they'd likely go out of business if both of the major consoles pulled that shit.

This isn't hard for me at all. Given just what we know so far, there are very clear differences between the two consoles and in every case it's the Xbox one going out of it's way to appear worse to me as a consumer.