Poll: Help me understand

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
Other, or as I call it; All of the Above. Wasn't interested in the Xbone and I've been a PlayStation gamer primarily. So no amount of exclusives could've probably swayed me from the black monolith. The fact that it's taking the high road in regards to DRM, price, etc is just nice to see a bunch of executives that don't moonlight as howler monkeys.

The-Traveling-Bard

Dec 30, 2012
Daystar Clarion said:
CaptQuakers said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Steam doesn't require you to log in every 24 hours to play offline.
Steam doesn't charge you for the privilege to then be able to play those games online.

Microsoft wants to sell me, a person living is the UK, more fucking money than gamers in the US, for less fucking features.

It's also more expensive to begin with, and all it had to offer was CoD in space, more Halo, and games I can get on other platforms.

Sony may very well charge for their online multiplayer service, but I bet my arse that gamers will benefit more from PSN+ than with XBL.
You do know the PS4 is stupidly expensive in the Uk compared to the US price as well right ? We never get a good deal due to our stupid VAT taxes. If you're are talking about the Tv stuff then fair enough I am curious as too how that would work in the UK. But what other features are we missing out on ?

As for the games that obviously a person to person choice so I can't deny that.

And as for XBL vs PSN they will be much of the same thing surely ?
PSN+ offers loads of current stuff, to download for free, including games, themes, etc.

XBL charges you for the privilege of getting face fucked by advertising.

I doubt that trend will change.

Regardless, the PS4 is a good 80 quid cheaper, and doesn't have DRM and no bullshit preowned practice.

Pretty easy decision.
Who doesn't enjoy a little face fucking? c;

Anywho. I always hated the fact the xbox live charges me to use netflix and facebook..
Really?
Ps3 it's free.
PC it's free.
MY DAMN CABLE BOX IT'S FREE.
I don't have to buy extra money to use netflix on them.

Why should I pay netflix on xbox live? ;-;

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
I chose other, because you didn't put in an ALL of the above option in the poll.

I've been ambivalent towards M$ all these years, but now that they have essentially opened themselves up to public ridicule and revealed themselves to be the enemy of freedom, and a cancer upon the industry that needs to be excised I sincerely wish them to gtfo of my country.

Zeh Don

Jul 27, 2008
The Xbone is shaping up to be one of the worst home consoles of all time. Every aspect of it, save for the glorious controller, is horrible.

Microsoft have the money, and are coming off of a strong performance with the Xbox 360. That is, quite honestly, all that the Xbone has going for it. The games just aren't enough.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
T_ConX said:
Games:
KH3, FF15, and Second Son are the exclusives I'm most interested in.
Hate to break it to you, but KH3 and FFXV will both be on PS4 and Xbox One. Even so, at least you don't need to connect online to play those two single player games on the PS4. Or pay for an always on camera you'll never use. Or link it to your account so dealing with a disc copy becomes for not. Or a thousand other reasons why the Xbox One is just crap in a hand basket on its own. Seriously, I don't even care if they do get good exclusives at this point, the console by its own merits is shit.

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
It's easily the better buy, and it will certainly have good games. The lack of moronic DRM schemes absolutely sealed the deal tight for me, as soon as I heard this and the price it was done. I don't see how anyone can justify buying a bone before a PS4, it should be a virtual impossibility.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Yeah, I think this has been answered a hundred times over. Sony emphasized a commitment to me. The consumer. And things that concern me.

Now, here's something that has been racking my brain today. Didn't Microsoft make a comment about a deal with EA? And EA said a while back that they won't support Online passes anymore. Is it possible that this deal included this DRM and online requirement? That way EA could still use that Project 10 Dollar idea and say, "Hey, we're just using the available infrastructure."
And they just assumed that PS4 didn't stand a chance or would fall in line? I'm not wearing a tinfoil hat, but I do wonder if this wasn't some sort of deal they worked out.

Anyway, something no one is giving Sony credit for is their focus on Indie games. I don't see anyone commenting on Sony getting 5 Indie Developers and their games on the stage and letting them soak up the spotlight. Sony literally had no reason to do that. And yet they did. To show that they truly do support the Indies. Anyone can talk the talk, but they seem to be walking the walk. On all fronts. And I support that.

Zeh Don said:
The Xbone is shaping up to be one of the worst home consoles of all time. Every aspect of it, save for the glorious controller, is horrible.

Microsoft have the money, and are coming off of a strong performance with the Xbox 360. That is, quite honestly, all that the Xbone has going for it. The games just aren't enough.
So XBOne will be usurping that mantel from the likes of the Virtual Boy? Maybe the Saturn... Yeah, that seems fair.

fezgod

Dec 7, 2012
The lack of any restrictions on used games and the price are what sold me on the PS4. Most of the games that I'm excited for in the upcoming generation are not Playstation exclusives so that's not really a big deal.
The Xbox1 is more expensive (original price + cost of new games) so choosing the PS4 was the logical choice.

Honestly I'm kind of sad that Microsoft is making all of these incredibly bad decisions regarding their new console. I had an original Xbox (which I still play from time to time) and a 360 so I initially leaning towards getting the new xbox. But every time Xbox1 news was "leaked" or announced, it made the console seem even worse.

crimson sickle2

Sep 30, 2009
I was impressed with how much Sony's presentation was about how they're not doing all the bullshit Microsoft is doing. When Sony can release stuff like this, you know the competition is hosed:
My specific reason for hating the Xbone has always been the constant online . I don't have constant online access for my consoles, so I wouldn't be able to play it. The mediocre exclusive games and incredibly anti-consumer PR has only strengthened my disgust of the console. Then I saw the Sony conference and everything, except the console's design, reminded me that console gaming can still bring hype.

afroebob

Oct 1, 2011
It only impresses in comparison to the Xbone and PiiU. Compared to PC I don't really see anything that makes it superior to the point of being close to worth it.

Also, I find it funny how not even a single person said the console design. I don't want to sound like I'm ragging on the PS4, it seems like an OK console and everything but the design of the thing is terrible. Not that its a big deal, the case for the system just looks ugly.

CaptQuakers said:
For the life of me I can't figure out why the Xbone is getting so much hate off of gamers.

People said they hated it before E3 for the lack of games so when they came out and showed off an impressive array of games
I would harldy call it 'impressive'. I might go as far as to say decent. Ryse looks like a shit, its obvious that it was built for Kinnect then they just added controller functionality (look at the pathing for the levels and think about how it would work with Kinnect), we still don't know dick about Quantum Break (it could be good, its got a decent pedigree), nor about D4 or Sunset Overdrive, Titanfall is CoD with mechs, and sequels. There where a few I didn't see and a few that looked OK, but I would hardly call it impressive.

Bellvedere

Jul 31, 2008
The hate towards the xbone seems a bit overblown to me.

I can see why some people would shrug off the ostensibly controversial features of the xbone, and why others would prefer to get a PS4 (or WiiU or PC or whatever). Both are valid views. Digital ownership issues exist with other systems and services. It's fair enough to say that you don't like it but that MS gets all the blame for a very old idea is a bit silly.

Anyway Sony offered nothing that made me want to run out and buy their new console, so put my 'other' vote down as - it didn't. Should point out before anyone assumes that I'm pro-Xbone, I'm not, I'm just not pro-PS4 either.

RowOfSaints03

Apr 24, 2013
From what I hear, the real problem with the xbone is that it is not a real gameing console anymore. It has so much new crap on it that it might as well be the PS3.

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
I really wanted to vote for all of the options. PS4 has more exclusives I'm interested in, its initial cost is cheaper, I can buy and sell used games, can lend my friends my games without letting them use my account, and PS+ seems like a better deal for me anyway. Add all of that to the fact that I already own a vita which will benefit from cross play. So, yea, Xbone can go fuck itself. Sony just dealt a killer blow.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well I was blown away by the dizzying array of new features.

Also the fact they wont lock you in gaming Auschwitz and charge extra for it.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
CaptQuakers said:
People said they hated it before E3 for the lack of games so when they came out and showed off an impressive array of games people then decided to hate it due to the price which in the grand scheme of things is such a minor point, If you're buying a console because it's cheaper you are foolish, You are going to get your monies worth out of it so why go with a console that is $100's cheaper ? Why not go for the console that has the more impressive games and/or more features.
Uhh....
That's like saying you should buy the $300,000 car instead of the $5,000 one because its better and has more features, and the price is only a minor point.
Yeah, if you've got a lot of money then price is a minor point. When every $10 counts and that $100 difference means 2 extra games you wouldn't have been able to buy for what is really just the same thing you're getting for $100 cheaper... Yeah, its a big reason. That extra $100 is over a month of saving up for some people because they've got other things that they need to spend money on.

People bring up the DRM but if DRM was such a problem would Steam had got so big ? Because however you look at it Steam is a form of DRM.
Because MS DRM is worse than Steam. Plus I really wouldn't trust Microsoft's servers. GFWL was shit, I'm not seeing this being much better. Granted they're both still DRM, but Steam is less intrusive and strict, and has some amazing sales.

As for used games is letting the publisher charge you for playing a used game any different from the online pass code now ? Which whilst not a good thing people don't seem that pissed about it.
'cause at least you could still play a used game without the fee, even if it didn't have a bunch of DLC with it.

Sony showed very little in the way of exclusive games and yet got away with just telling us they have exclusive content which could be anything even DLC, Yet people say that they did an amazing job ? They also didn't really tell us anything we didn't already know about the console.
People say they dug their heel into MS for one reason: How much they went on with the "No DRM, We support used games" thing. They basically sold their console as "Its not the XB1, buy it", and it worked. That's what people are calling an amazing job.

Also the Xbone got slaughter for the way it looked and the PS4 which is the same but a bit smaller gets off scot free.
A couple of things:
1. The PS4 did not get off scott free. There are a lot of people complaining about its looks, just more that are laughing at Sony digging their heel into Microsoft's backside.
2. Smaller is important for some people I'm told, so that's probably part of the reason too.

NOTE: Why was there no fuss kicked up about having to have PlayStation plus to play online as well ?
There was, but its apparently cheaper than XBL and not DRM heavy so they got away with it more.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
The-Traveling-Bard said:
Anywho. I always hated the fact the xbox live charges me to use netflix and facebook..
Really?
Ps3 it's free.
PC it's free.

I'd been meaning to ask someone if that was really true about the Xbox. That is absolutely ridiculous; aren't Netflix and Facebook completely separately entities (i.e. accessing them through your Xbox uses your internet connection; not Microsoft's servers or anything)? How the hell do they justify charging for things like that?!

OT: People hated the Xbone for much more than lack of games before E3, the reveal of their exclusives was just the only thing they had left to redeem themselves and it would appear they managed to balls that up as well.

In Short: Microsoft have revealed themselves to be among the most insidious of money-hungry fuckwits in the industry, and they didn't even have the good grace to buy us dinner before they fucked us, like EA or some other veteran cad would.

In Long: Everything about what they are doing with the Xbone is anti-consumer and makes them out to be more interested in having complete control over us than actually delivering services and products we'd enjoy and, while it would be naive to say there isn't an element of that in every big industry player, no one has ever done it in quite such a clear-cut manner.

Honestly, I'm surprised Microsoft's E3 presentation wasn't just two giant papier mache middle fingers dancing around either side of a screen saying 'Deal with It' while 'I'm Sexy and I Know It' played on loop for an hour.

Greg White

Sep 19, 2012
Eclipse Dragon said:
CaptQuakers said:
And as for XBL vs PSN they will be much of the same thing surely ?
As it stands, PS+ is a MUCH better value than XBL. PS+ offers free games (for as long as you're signed up), those games being some pretty huge titles (recently Uncharted 3), and discounts for PSN purchases for keeps (even after you've canceled subscription). Last time I checked, PSN (including PS+ and non PS+) didn't have intrusive ads. There are also several other features (like data backup), but I don't personally know much about them. PSN also uses a lot more customer loyalty promotions.
PSN lost any support I had for it after it was hacked because, for whatever reason, a major, multinational corporation trusted with the information of its users, didn't have the sense to have security on their network and then tried to buy everyone off with a few cheap games.

The-Traveling-Bard

Dec 30, 2012
rob_simple said:
The-Traveling-Bard said:
Really?
Ps3 it's free.
PC it's free.

I'd been meaning to ask someone if that was really true about the Xbox. That is absolutely ridiculous; aren't Netflix and Facebook completely separately entities (i.e. accessing them through your Xbox uses your internet connection; not Microsoft's servers or anything)? How the hell do they justify charging for things like that?!

OT: People hated the Xbone for much more than lack of games before E3, the reveal of their exclusives was just the only thing they had left to redeem themselves and it would appear they managed to balls that up as well.

In Short: Microsoft have revealed themselves to be among the most insidious of money-hungry fuckwits in the industry, and they didn't even have the good grace to buy us dinner before they fucked us, like EA or some other veteran cad would.

In Long: Everything about what they are doing with the Xbone is anti-consumer and makes them out to be more interested in having complete control over us than actually delivering services and products we'd enjoy and, while it would be naive to say there isn't an element of that in every big industry player, no one has ever done it in quite such a clear-cut manner.

Honestly, I'm surprised Microsoft's E3 presentation wasn't just two giant papier mache middle fingers dancing around either side of a screen saying 'Deal with It' while 'I'm Sexy and I Know It' played on loop for an hour.
Yup. I went to my sister's place for my birthday and wanted to watch netflix on my brothers Xbox. I needed a xbox live gold status to do it. I was insanely pissed off about it. I almost threw the controller. (A bit over a over-reaction i know, but come on! This is stupid)