Poll: Hey Bethesda fans, Elder Scrolls or Fallout?

Sean Hollyman

Jun 24, 2011
I've only played Oblivion and Skyrim of TES. I hated Oblivion, but love Skyrim.
I love both Fallout 3 and New Vegas.

Fallout by far.

Janus Vesta

Mar 25, 2008
Elder Scrolls if it's made by Bethesda, Fallout if it's not. Fallout 3 was the weakest of the not shit Fallouts. Brotherhood of Steel never happened.

Berithil

Maintenence Man of the Universe
Mar 19, 2009
I honestly think the Elder Scrolls games are better, but I personally enjoy the Fallout games more. I just enjoy the retro post apocalyptic wasteland, while radios are playing old 40s like music. The world itself just appeals to me more.

Captcha: Lo and Behold. Oh, captcha, you.....

Aug 20, 2011
Fallout because TES is horribly designed. I had fun exploring Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim, but when it comes time to make progress in the game things turn to shit.

First, the story is laughably generic fantasy. I don't even wanna hear about their supposedly brilliant fourth wall breaking narrative. It's a gimmick to explain save files, nothing more. Not only that, but you wouldn't even know about it unless you read through the thousands of books scattered around those games. I always want to read every book I come across, because I don't like to think I'm missing out on anything in a game, but Jesus, they're so fucking boring. If I have to read the equivalent of War and Peace in terrible fan fiction style history tomes just to understand what is honestly, a very simplistic story, count me the fuck out.

Second, level and mission design in TES are some of the dullest in gaming. Skyrim was a bit of an improvement over Oblivion's identical procedural dungeons, but let's be honest, Skyrim's dungeons got real boring after the first 20 or so. If I had a penny for every Draugr I killed, well, I could buy a better game. In Fallout 3 and New Vegas, almost every scenario you ran itno was unique in some way. I also liked that Fallout's quests tended to be focused more on interesting character interaction. There were a handful of interesting quests that I came across in Skyrim, but mostly it was just "kill all the Draugr/vampires/Dwemmer/bandits/Imperials".

Third, I like Fallout's sense of context. By that I mean, in Fallout 3, I really felt like I was part of that world. I consider the intro to Fallout 3 one of the best in gaming. In New Vegas, I really felt like I had different relationships with each faction. In Skyrim, I never even bothered to join the Stormcloaks or the Empire, because neither of them are in the least bit sympathetic. Moral complexity shouldn't be about making everyone bad so much as making everyone understandable. Fallout got this. As horrible as the Legion seemed at first, once you got to know Caesar and some of the other leaders, you can understand what they're trying to accomplish with their brutality. And that was the most extreme example. The Boomers, The Khans, Mr. House, and The Brotherhood of Steel all had legitimate reasons for fighting, and were all sympathetic. Skyrim's pointless civil war and soulless NPCs just made me want the dragons to take the place back and roast the entire population.

tl;dr, I like Fallout's more tightly structured narrative over TES sandbox style gameplay. I like fewer, unique scenarios over tons of generic scenarios. Depth over width, I guess.

Deadyawn

Jan 25, 2011
Strictly speaking I like Fallout more. However, as far as games developed by bethesda go, I prefer TeS because (me bitching about fallout 3(I'm sick of talking about it so I'll just let you put your own imagination to use)). So what I'm saying is I don't want bethesda to make any more fallout games. Or at the very least write anymore.

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
Fallout. I tried Oblivion and it was DULL. Skyrim was alright, but lacking in charm. I'd rate Fallout 3 and New Vegas above them easily.

RaNDM G

Apr 28, 2009
Elder Scrolls.

I've wasted thousands of hours on Morrowind and Oblivion because each region has so much visual variety. I only put around 200 hours in Fallout 3 because everywhere is the same drab environment. There's practically nothing to do when you get past Rivet City anyway.

Songblade

Jan 28, 2011
I loved the Fallout games... but Skyrim is too good to ignore... For me, it's a tie.

BUT, if we could have a Fallout game with Skyrim's engine? Fallout. Hands down.

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
I voted for TES, simply because I care more the the game lore. But honestly, they both deliver a fantastic experience. I play which ever one I'm in the mood for - futuristic role-play, whenever I feel sorry for humanity, or when I want to slay dragons with swords and magic.

And also, my copy of Fallout 3 is buggy as all hell, so I can never play longer than two hour stints without it dying on me. It's a bit hard to get immersed when things come to a grinding halt suddenly.

Gitty101

Jan 22, 2010
Argh, that is a difficult question indeed. I sunk days into Fallout 3 and absolutely loved the atmosphere and feel of the game. It was brilliant. New Vegas however I barely touched, it just didn't draw me in as well... Maybe I'll try it at a later date again...

Morrowind was engaging if a little frustrating at times. Oblivion I loved from the start. Skyrim I've only devoted about 40 hours to, but that's enough to know it's good.

So, in terms purely based on how much I've played, I'm going to go with the TES series. Each one of the games I've played from that series has managed to hold me for a while.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
Jedoro said:
Fallout

I have yet to find a spell/sword/bow/axe that's been more satisfying to use than a shotgun.
I'm going to go with this. I love the environments of Elder Scrolls more, but the combat feels better in Fallout and I weigh that more.

Of course, take into account I've only played Morrowind, Oblivion, and Fallout 3. This could shift when I play Skyrim and New Vegas.

SUPA FRANKY

Aug 18, 2009
Elder Scrolls, since I like sword and sorcery better. I just like the look of swords, armour, mythical creature, and the like. Plus though I love fallout, its a bit to green and grey.