Poll: Homeschooling: Where do you stand?

everythingbeeps

Sep 30, 2011
Torn. On the one hand, most of the people who seem to be in favor of it are frighteningly ignorant people (Glenn Beck, et al), and the thought of them indoctrinating their kids without any outside influence terrifies me.

On the other hand, we have to admit that the public school system is failing. Personally, I think we should be taking half the money we're pissing away on our military and pouring it into education. At least half.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
I guess it could be good in some situations but for the most part I think it's best for a kid to go to school and gain a better social life.

Mar 9, 2010
Yeah, up till A-levels and university education, the syllabus really doesn't matter. From the start of school till the end of year 11 it's mostly all about how to learn and what to do with what you've learnt. Knowing how many kilometers the trailblazers traveled a day will never help you; you actually need to relearn chemistry when you begin your A-levels because GCSE is so basic it's wrong; knowing the sine and cosine rules does actually matter, however, if you plan to do maths at A-level.

To be home schooled and then do the jump to university would be mighty foolish, you just won't have the necessary learning tools to be able to succeed particularly well unless you really knuckle under. The jump from A-level to university level education is minute when compared to home school to uni.

maswell

Aug 6, 2010
I think this explains it better than anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFkIJBVZ4_w

MissGinaKid

Mar 16, 2010
I was home schooled my whole life and I'm mixed about it. I lean more towards being in favor of it but My 'teacher' was really laid back and after a certain point I wasn't really learning anything. Only do it if your confident enough to teach your kid everything he/she needs to know by 12Th grade.

Esotera

May 5, 2011
Being taught by someone who actually understands the subject, one-on-one, is going to be infinitely better than learning in a classroom with 30+ students who don't care. Homeschooled students I know all have great social lives, so I don't see the problem.

Angry_squirrel

Mar 26, 2011
Homeschooling has been amazing for me, and my social life is good. Honestly - in England at least - I think people have completely the wrong idea about it

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
As long as the kid is being taught properly, i.e. The actual facts, then I am all for.

Brandchan

Oct 6, 2010
I'm very deep in the "it depends" pool. I've known several people who were home schooled in my life and sometimes it works out and sometimes it really doesn't.

In one case, I knew a brother and sister who were home schooled because their parents felt public schools brainwashed children. The mother was left up to teach, but in fact wasn't a very educated or worldly person. It was pretty obvious the sister (who was home schooled her whole life) was far behind, education wise, where we were at that age. She had no social life and really didn't have any real idea how to interact with people.

But I've been a pen pal with a girl who's family lived up in the mountains and the nearest school was very far away. I don't think could get any sort of public transit to and from school. She was very well adjusted though and her parents were able to give her a proper education. She went on to become a nurse.

I even had a night school teacher tell me she home schooled her own child. She felt that she could give him the best education.

When I was growing up, I was bullied and teased a lot and always wanted to be home schooled. In the long run though, I think being forced to go to school and deal with people helped me, otherwise I think I just would have stopped interacting with people.

So, it really depends on the parents and the child. I think in some cases, like when the nearest school is still very far, I can really understand. But I think in a lot of cases the parents are just not educated enough to be able to handle the job.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
In my experience the vast majority of the job market accepts people more readily on their social graces than on actual achievement. So for the vast majority of people, homeschooling is not a good option.

Also, as an alternative to school, it;s not a great option for a number of reasons. Mainly that many parents and children aren't qualified or responsible enough to pull it off. It's also massively unfair on the child, as they loose the independence that they gain at school

DaJoW

Aug 17, 2010
In general I'm against it, it just seems to be used as a tool for parents to decide too much for their children - I'm not saying that's always the case nor in a majority of cases, but there seems to be too much of that going on. There are exceptions, like military kids who have to move a lot as mentioned earlier, where it's probably the best solution, but for the most part I honestly don't trust the average parent to do a good enough job/be knowledgeable enough to prepare their kids for higher education.

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
I'm against it, human social structures are quite complex and difficult to learn. It's best to get your children started early.

JCBFGD

Jul 10, 2011
I voted "It depends."

I'm for it if the child is being bullied, or there's some other reason like that to keep him/her home. On the other hand, I'm against it if it's used to give the child an alternate education that doesn't include scientific fact and high-school level math.

If I could make up the laws of the land, I'd say that bullied kids can stay home, but they will be doing the exact same things at home as they would at school. And you gotta have a state-certified teacher teach the kid.

TheDooD

Dec 23, 2010
homeschooling is very good if you have a good program and know the learning method the child accepts the best. A child can truly learn whatever they're ready to learn they don't have to drone in a class for a year before they can level up in the content. When they're ready or wishes for more challenging content you can give it to'em. When taught right and the child is allowed to grow most likely around the 4-7 grade age range most kids should learning shit that 9-10 graders are just getting into. which when they're older and choose to go into an high school environment. All they really have to do is focus on becoming more well rounded since they been learning the harder stuff for most likely years now and everything should be review for them unless they decide to study more at home and or get into college level course.

For social I can pretty much say overall it's not needed, social nowadays it's more so an excuse to say a school has too many of *blank ethnic groups* so they need to add on those they lack so they can social diverse so they can get funding. If schools want to get social right they'll need to create a more interactive learning methods that'll allow children to work together. Basically in my eyes on a non quiz or test type work sharing answers and ways to solve problems are no longer "cheating". Children are encouraged to help those that are struggling instead of keeping everything secret so they'll bring up the class as a whole instead of a few shining stars, the middle ground and those that just don't get it. Until school systems fix the whole social standards it's much better for kids to be home-schooled if possible.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
everythingbeeps said:
Torn. On the one hand, most of the people who seem to be in favor of it are frighteningly ignorant people (Glenn Beck, et al), and the thought of them indoctrinating their kids without any outside influence terrifies me.

On the other hand, we have to admit that the public school system is failing. Personally, I think we should be taking half the money we're pissing away on our military and pouring it into education. At least half.
Yeah, I'd be for homeschooling, considering the quality of public education, but a lot of homeschoolers get taught creationism and such, which is a bit disconcerting. I too would prefer better public education instead (not just throw more money into it, but curriculum reform, higher standards for teachers, smaller class sizes/more availability of one-on-one tutoring, etc). US actually spends a ton of money on education compared to other countries with quality education, but the money gets spread around badly.

Rblade

Mar 1, 2010
against because I feel the social part of school is very important.

and also because quality can't be garuanteed. Learning what you want sounds good but universities are going to expect a level of skill in various subjects and upto a certain standard, and even though it's very possible a homeschooled person is up to par it might very well not be, severly limiting you chances in the remainder of you academic life.

everythingbeeps

Sep 30, 2011
dyre said:
I too would prefer better public education instead (not just throw more money into it, but curriculum reform, higher standards for teachers, smaller class sizes/more availability of one-on-one tutoring, etc). US actually spends a ton of money on education compared to other countries with quality education, but the money gets spread around badly.
Well of course, but all those things require money. And yes, we spend a ton, but we don't spend enough, and like you said, we spend a lot of it in the wrong places.

But it's not enough to just spend more money; you can throw all the cash you want into inner city schools, that's not going to make them better or make people want to teach there. In order for education reform to work, we need to reform EVERYTHING.

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
FamoFunk said:
There doesn't *have* to be lack of social interaction as a home-school kid.
Yeah this, don't sterotype the Home Schooled with those who would rather not talk to people. I get / got out a lot and am still very well on the social meter of things.

ninonybox360 said:
Im enrolled in a cyber school, that's technically homeschooling. Im all for it because its easier, I have more free time, and I can finish a days worth of school in an hour.
Same here. *High Five.*

Cyber Schooling IS homescholing technically, and thats what it should be, its much better because your being taught... Technically by a teacher, but by yourself or with the help of a parent.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
JustaGigolo said:
I'm against it.

I haven't met a single normal person who was home schooled.
Try this [http://writingishard.wordpress.com/2010/07/16/logical-fallacy-friday-argument-by-anecdote/]

Also, please define "normal"