Poll: How Big is Too Big?

Izanagi009_v1legacy

Anime Nerds Unite
Apr 25, 2013
Chemical Alia said:
Izanagi009 said:
I actually find the art style of Mass Effect so incredibly uninspired and monotonous, it's like, an active force repelling me from ever playing it. There is absolute zero things that I find interesting to look at with the Commander Shepherd character design, for the same reasons that anime style generally puts me off. Also, your other image isn't loading.
here is the link
http://s1.zerochan.net/Matoi.Ryuuko.600.1614066.jpg

and to clarify, what are the reasons the anime style puts you off again?

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
1-3 Male eye size, 4-6 female eye size, 7-9 chibi eye sized.

On a woman, 1-3 is too small, & if not a chibi, 7-9 are too big.

Of course, chibis are at their cutest with tiny dot eyes.

lucky_sharm

Aug 27, 2009
Zykon TheLich said:
1 and 2 are fine, 3 is kind of irritating but doesn't make me want to vomit, well, perhaps just a little bit of sick in the back of my mouth, everything past that is completely ignorable, it's just cartoon anime garbage to me, but number 3 is just the right mix of realism and animu to create an abomination, something unholy that masquerades as real people. It catches your attention by looking almost acceptable but you just can't get away from the subtle wrongness it exudes. The more I look at it the more I hate it.

In response to your background, Akira, Ghost in the Shell and AD Police are the only animes I could stand.
I think you'd like Attack on Titan, Psycho Pass, and Baccano.

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
2-5 is good.
1 is too small, 6 is too big.

But then it also depends on the art style. The Powerpuff Girls, for example, are so abstract to begin with that their eyes aren't weird at all.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
8 is actually the only one that bugs me. 1-7 seem typical anime eyes but 8 just looks weird. But 9 is so over the top that is doesn't really bother me

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
Coakle said:
Looking at the diagram, at what point do you say "Nope, too big?"

Please PM me if you know the original artist

My limit is 6, I also could handle a 7 with an eye-patch. I think it's a surface area thing.

Background:
I became curious about other people's tolerance for eye size, after I tried to watch Azumanga Daioh.

I really enjoyed School Rumble, so I was pretty sure I would like the shows humor. I couldn't get past those eyes. Too unsettling.

For a second I didn't think this thread was about eyes, and was a little afraid to click on the spoiler tag, lest I be subjected to lots of NSFW pics

On the subject, depends on the style of show, but I mainly draw the line personally between 4-5 when I draw characters.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
While I'm tempted to say that 8 and above is a bit too excessive, I believe that it depends greatly on the art style and the overall proportions of the character(s).

I bring up the Powerpuff Girls in the sense that their proportions, as well as those of other characters in the series, were not accurate, so the big-eyed, large-headed and tiny bodied Super Girls with no digits or feet are still acceptable and likable.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
JaceArveduin said:
6 is a bit big for my, but it won't kill me. Past that's just... euch.

EeveeElectro said:
Well when you get jaw cramp trying to... Oh okay /dickjoke #2851

Up to 6 looks acceptable to me. 7 looks like Lucky Star sort of animation. Any after that could be used for exaggeration or comedy values.
Didn't you used to have a sexy cool Harley avatar?
Yep. I changed it because I wanted something cute before everyone thought I was a psychotic *****.
She'll be back though, she knows how much I love her!

Joseph Ashby

Jan 31, 2013
7 was where I felt a tad uncomfortable looking at them.

But more importantly, just Look at that distribution in the poll! I mean hot dang, it's almost a perfect bell curve.

Movitz

Jan 30, 2013

'cause fuck eyes.

No but 7. It's not obviously too big, but there just something off with the picture at that point.

Movitz

Jan 30, 2013
Btw, I know this is not the point of the thread but I have to ask: how come manga/anime artist draw their characters with such big eyes?

Rowan93

Aug 25, 2011
I don't think I ever see eyes around 8 and 9 except with all other features similarly distorted a la wideface in Hidamari Sketch, and when that shows up I'm completely cool with it, I love Hidamari Sketch, Miyako-chan is mai waifu.

I think maybe the way the distorted appearence of the character in that diagram freaks me out is different to how characters with huge eyes in an anime with an overall consistent art-style would affect me, but the point where I started getting freaked out by the diagram was the entire bottom row, and I voted according to that in the poll, not sure if that was right.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
You've made a mistake, you've left off the ones that are too big.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
4-6 is both realistic enough and yet not completely horrifying enough to be acceptable and good-looking.

9 is like if you poured diabetes into a donut covered with sprinkles made by cats climbing intro a slipper but pushing it away with their head.

1 is also fine. I don't think its art style would catch on in Japan (because she has a nose bigger than one finger).

Aug 31, 2012
lucky_sharm said:
I think you'd like Attack on Titan, Psycho Pass, and Baccano.
Of those, only Psycho Pass sounds thematically interesting to me and unfortunately the art style repulses me very strongly. I don't really watch films these days, let alone anime, so TBH it's unlikely that I'm going to check anything out unless it is on a subject I'm very specifically into and goes for a "realistic" style, but thanks for taking the time to make some recommendations.