Poll: How did you come up with your nickname?

Henkie36

Aug 25, 2010
I've seen some pretty ridiclous, funny, standard or anything else you can think of nicknames, here on The Escapist and elsewhere. Most of the time there is a story behind a nickname, others are just out in the open.

Mine, comes from a friend of mine, he always called his uncle Henkie, and when I needed a nickname, that was the first thing to pop into my mind, and the ''36'' was a requirment, since ''Henkie'' was already in use.

So what's your story?

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
If you mean nicknames in real-life as opposed to online usernames, then both mine have been invented by others. I obtained "JoJo" at school after joking around with the name with one of my mates called Joe, somehow I ended up with the name myself which later became part of my online name. My second nickname and one more commonly used now is "Gimli" which my current Biology friends named me when I first met them due to me having long hair and a beard at the time. I now have short hair and shave but the nickname has stuck.

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
I was given the nickname Johnny All Star because I proved myself to be pretty darn good at almost anything athletic... except basketball. Because of that, I was given that nickname, even though the guys didn't even know my real name, and it kinda stuck.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
An old user called Furburt recommended it for me in a thread. Made sense, since, you know.

Calumon: Imagine if you spelt it wrong! O.O

Pingieking

Sep 19, 2009
I had a friend who called himself Lord Ticky-Tacky. In order to one-up him, I had to go one higher than lord, which at the time was king. And there you go.

Prophetic Heresy

Dec 26, 2009
I don't remember, but someone on steam told me there was a comic book character from a story that's either called "Jack" or "Fable". I've never been able to find what they're talking about.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Thought this was going to be about actual nicknames as opposed to usernames.

For nicknames: 'Fatso', used to be fat, name stuck (I'm 178cm tall and 66kgs, so my BMI is what?)

For usernames: Schizophrenic, 'k' subbed in to preserve pronunciation, and 'SckizoMan' just doesn't look or sound right.

BlueberryMUNCH

Apr 15, 2010
I'm gonna be that guy and say http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.291542-Whats-the-story-behind-your-username?page=1

Made three days ago.

As for my username...don't ask;D.

Big Cat

Mar 29, 2011
My friend said i was awkward like big cat from rob dyrdek fantasy factory, and then everyone else started calling me big cat so i went along with it.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Longstory short it's the same name I used on my main character from Guild Wars (I'm not going to explain how I came up that name for the game).

Jesus Phish

Jan 28, 2010
The name I use here, I came up with it ages ago, can't really remember why. Something to do with that thing people stick on their cars (the Jesus fish thing) and decided to spell it with Phish. It has nothing to do with that band though.

Tuimic - half of the name I use for my first dnd character, which is a wierd mix up of using a translator for Al Bhed and various combinations of Vin Diesel. I thought it was cool that he loves dnd so much and smashes the dnd stero-type.

My RL nick name was given to me by other people, mostly because they seemed to prefer saying that to my full name I guess?

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Jack and Calumon said:
An old user called Furburt recommended it for me in a thread. Made sense, since, you know.

Calumon: Imagine if you spelt it wrong! O.O
I remember Furbert.

OT: I have a number of handles for different places, for different reasons. I started being FalloutJack when I first joined the forum of the "Spriggs!" machinima, as a means to point out that I'm all cool here, but I am not a Halo fan. The Jack part is, of course, because I keep calling my characters in Fallout by that name. (Andrew the Courier is the exception because 'Lone Wanderer' Jack is still alive at the time of New Vegas.)

Since then, I've been Jack in places where it's relevant, like forums created by people who enjoyed "Spriggs!". It followed that I should be FalloutJack for the Escapist because I'm a Fallout fan and the first thing I actually posted in was the ZP entry for Fallout 3. It makes sense in context.

aww yea

May 3, 2009
actually its a short story

It was the last thing i said (while talking to myself) and i sorta just typed it as i said it...

There wasn't really much thought in this

DrStupid87

Mar 17, 2011
I actually stole mine. I was at a LAN party, saw my friend had Dr Stupid. I just added my birth year to the end to soften the blow a little. Other than that, I choose nicknames that make me laugh like Beard Burner or Cabbage Commander. Or if it's supposed to be something that won't make you look like an idiot, then choose something I like and form some kind of nickname:

Favourite character out of a game = Khelgar.
Favourite name I chose in a role playing game = Barrick Cain.
Favourite weapon of mine = Sledgehammer
Favourite car = Charger

...and so on.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
Everything i came up with was already taken so after a while i just wrote 'what the f-' in another language and apparently it was free.

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
SckizoBoy said:
Thought this was going to be about actual nicknames as opposed to usernames.
So did I, never really had a nickname I guess since it's hard to abbreviate a one syllable first name so for some reason people tend to elongate it; 'Hey, Lloydee!' Kinda strange, I guess that's the closest thing I have that might constitute a nickname.