Poll: How Do Multi-Lingual People Think?

Igor-Rowan

Apr 12, 2016
My family loves foreign songs, mainly because they cannot understand what the singer is saying, while I usually can I like playing dumb and enjoy the song. The problem starts when they ask me to translate a song WHILE the song is playing, that's when the differences in languages highlight for me.

Latin-based languages and English have different structures, so it's hard for me to translate (and on top of that contextualize) in less time than they think I can. Back to the topic, I think we maily think the same, expressing ideas on the knowledge that we have of certain languages, althought "quirks" of your first language are hard to let go so a language salad is inevitable if you didn't master being multiligual. Again, contextualization, especially if you grew up with gendered pronouns.

Sonmi

Renowned Latin Lover
Jan 30, 2009
It depends, I usually think in the last language I spoke.

Except Spanish, because my Spanish is rather shoddy.

likeaboozy

Aug 13, 2017
As a Turk, my native language is Turkish. I've been trying to learn English for 2 years. With the help of the games and movies which i watched with subtitles i have partially extensive vocabulary. And the big deals is with this vocabulary i won university! :) So if we come to the your question..

I thinking in english while writing. My brain is automaticly translates it.. And even in during the day sometimes i think in English.

In turksih sentence order is different, the order is that subject - object - verb. But after a while this doesn't make any problem..

I'll try to answer your all questions about Turkish or etc. Sorry for the all grammar mistakes. See ya.