Poll: How Do You Hold Your Fork?!

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Depends on the food really
Sometimes it is easier to food with fork facing down, other times facing up
So I'm a douchebag I guess.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
I just bend the prongs in all directions to make sure I miss nothing, also avoids confusion as it doesn't matter how I turn the fork.

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
If there's nothing to cut I'll hold it in my right hand with the prongs facing up. If I'm going for the knife-fork combo I'll hold it in my left hand with the prongs facing down.

Captcha: But I AM a robot, or at least a machine.

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
Whatever works best given the circumstances and what I'm eating. I assumed most people do much the same. Tines down works good if you're stabbing something like a cut of meat. But sometimes your scooping and that just doesn't work tines down.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
If I'm cutting something, down.
If I'm just picking food up and shovelling it in, up.

Really it's however the fork is when it reaches my mouth. I support all Axises (Axi, axes, fuck English).

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
For most foods it's down, but it actually depends on what I'm eating. If I'm having some kind of pasta dish, the prongs are always up.

M0rp43vs

Most Refined Escapist
Jul 4, 2008
davidmc1158 said:
Bah! Utensils are for cowardly, weak and pathetic civilized creatures! Return to the glories of barbarism and eat with just a knife and your hands! Turn away from the sad use of flatware and revel in your inner barbarian!
Or just do what we do in the South east sometimes and just use your hands. Who needs knives when you can just tear the meat off the hide of a dead beast then mix in your preferred ratio of rice/carb before shoving it in your gob. Cuts down on cleaning too.

But all the other times, my fork is always tines up. I don't think I've handled it any other way. Of course, I use the fork in my right hand (except with rice where the spoon occupies that limb) and knife in my left and apparently that makes me a mud caked peasant.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I hold it like a fork.

Can't imagine what anybody else is thinking...

lechat

Dec 5, 2012
I can cut with either my left or right hand so no need to swap .

The blue raja suggests just throwing the fork in the direction of the food/villain and if it is up or down just working with it.

Lazy Kitty

Evil
May 1, 2009
I keep my forks on Github.

Or if you mean the other ones...
I hold them whatever way is more convenient for what I'm eating.
Usually like you'd hold a hammer, I guess. A hammer that's used for stabbing food.
Well, maybe not exactly like a hammer... Maybe more like a screwdriver, applying pressure with the thumb.

Bobular

Oct 7, 2009
Prongs down unless scooping. I was taught to scoop prongs down as well, but never got the hand of it and only attempted when my Grandma was round.

I also use it in my right hand as a fork is a precision tool and therefore needs the control of my right hand, the knife however is purely used for applying a lot of pressure over a thin line therefore the stronger but less controlled left hand is used. I always think it odd when people comment on me holding the fork in the right being odd.

I also hold the fork like a pen, but strangely I don't hold a pen like a pen. This caused me a lot of problems at school.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
I... I don't know. I never think about it. It's just what comes naturally.

I think it comes down to what I am eating. If eating steak, for example, I'll probably hold the tines down as I stab the meat and eat it. If I'm eating something like mashed potatoes, I'll hold the tines up to scoop up the food.

Does this make me ambiforkous?

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I use a god damn fork pretty much everyday and when asked about how I hold it, I got nothing. I'm like 99% sure I eat prongs up if sitting down, and prongs down is laying down.

I most likely just hold it when whatever way gets food into my mouth the fastest. Including shoveling.

Squanchy

Dec 23, 2015
"When I eat, I hold my fork like a murderer's knife, gnawing at it's skewered payload like a deranged woodland rodent."

Any Community fans here?