Poll: How do you like your zombies?

Nivag the Owl

Owl of Hyper-Intelligence
Oct 29, 2008
I believe it was 28 Days Later (but don't quote me on that) who had the ingenious idea to transform the older slow and shuffling zombies into today's panic-inducing fast and insane zombies. But do you think it was a good move? Would it have been better to call them something other than zombies to avoid the scepticism?

Personally, I think it was a good idea. It's a more realistic series of symptoms, but it also creates a more panic-state atmosphere and motivation for survivors to defend themselves at all costs. But I have this feeling that I could be brainwashed by today's production standards. So here's another interesting question: How do you think a zombie film of today's technology and quality would be if it used the classic zombie traits?

WestMountain

Dec 8, 2009
28 Days later "zombies" were infected not brain dead zombies

I like em a bit slow and shambling, like in Dawn of the Dead

Wakefield

Aug 3, 2009
I love slow zombies and I'll pick them over fast zombies any day.

I have a nice zombie plan in place in the event of slow zombies. In the event of fast zombies however the plan is to kill myself as soon as possible. You can't survive that.

Bullet Alchemist

Apr 8, 2010
I think that the terror of zombies comes from the massive slow unstoppable hordes. Making then run fast and look like they've just taken a hell of a lot of crack just makes them not scary for me

notyouraveragejoe

Dehakchakala!
Nov 8, 2008
WestMountain said:
28 Days later "zombies" were infected not brain dead zombies
\

Exacterly. I'm of a split opinion. I mean I love the Shambling Undead. I mean what makes them Scary is that they're not hugely offensive...just always there. They never stop coming. But I also like the quick thrill of the "fast" zombies/infected. Though the Slow Undead wins out barely just because they will never end. They are the unstoppable horde (to quote Bullet Alchemist). They are scawwy in ways unimaginable (kind of like a steadily engulfing nightmare/darkness...you know it'll get you/is getting you but despite how slow it moves you can never escape).

razormint21

Mar 29, 2010
Honestly, i dislike fast zombies in multimedia.
Not because they're fast and more aggressive than the slow ones. Its because they give you the pump.
And when you get the pump, you wont feel so scared anymore. Also, most depictions of fast zombies are noticable, and will get anyone alert. If you see a lone fast zombie, you'd be obliged to knock it out mano y mano.

I prefer my zombies to be slow, moaning, and in mobs. And they should be everywhere, But it would be better if someone comes from behind...

Although, i wouldnt really wanna see them in life...

child of lileth

The Norway Italian
Jun 10, 2009
I'm a huge fan of classic horror, and I love all the old 50's kinda monster movies, so I gotta go with the old style slow zombies. Fast zombies just aren't the same to me.

Jebusetti

Jan 12, 2010
Furburt said:
However, a formula I like is that they're fast for the first month or so, then as they decay, they begin to get slower. It makes sense, too.
I read this somewhere, where they start out slow as shit due to rigor, then get fast as the muscles and tissues loosen up and eventually slow back down again as they decay. Kindof a neat idea.
Personally I hope to hell that zombies, when they show up IRL, are slow and mindless, or all my planning is for naught!

Timotei

The Return of T-Bomb
Apr 21, 2009
I like my zombies non-existent. That way I don't have to worry about which type they are.

holographicman

Oct 6, 2009
Wakefield said:
I love slow zombies and I'll pick them over fast zombies any day.

I have a nice zombie plan in place in the event of slow zombies. In the event of fast zombies however the plan is to kill myself as soon as possible. You can't survive that.
why not become a fast zombie?

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
Bullet Alchemist said:
I think that the terror of zombies comes from the massive slow unstoppable hordes. Making then run fast and look like they've just taken a hell of a lot of crack just makes them not scary for me
This. The idea of a zombie is very different from that of a generic horror monster.

When it's a Werewolf or a Vampire or something like that, the monster is fast, strong, intelligent, and extremely dangerous. A zombie is the complete opposite. A zombie is slow and stupid, and individually not a huge threat. The part where the zombie's danger lies is in two things. First, it's hard to avoid becoming one. In some versions even the smallest bite turns you into one, while in others all you have to do to become a zombie is die. Second (and this is where the biggest difference is, they're a relentless horde. Most horror monsters are remorseless killers and/or savage hunters, but the zombies are simply unstoppable. You can shoot them in half but at long as their head is still intact they'll still come for you. You can kill a dozen of them and there will be two dozen more taking their place. They will ignore any pain or injury, no matter how serious, to sink their decaying teeth into your delicious flesh.

If you make them fast and cunning, there's no point in calling them zombies anymore, because they might as well be any other horror monster.

[edit]
For the record, I'm not saying that fast zombies suck. There are some great zombie movies and games that use fast zombies. I'm just saying that, when it comes to the general archetype, I love the slow zombies a lot more.

azncutthroat

May 13, 2009
Nivag the Owl said:
I believe it was 28 Days Later (but don't quote me on that) who had the ingenious idea to transform the older slow and shuffling zombies into today's panic-inducing fast and insane zombies. But do you think it was a good move? Would it have been better to call them something other than zombies to avoid the scepticism?

Personally, I think it was a good idea. It's a more realistic series of symptoms, but it also creates a more panic-state atmosphere and motivation for survivors to defend themselves at all costs. But I have this feeling that I could be brainwashed by today's production standards. So here's another interesting question: How do you think a zombie film of today's technology and quality would be if it used the older zombie traits?
28-DLs was fucking fantastic. Those Olympic/track zombies were motherfucking scary... running you down and vomiting all over you? Makes the old zombies look like lovable grandma and grandpa shuffling up for a kiss.

And yeah, I agree that the track zombies make for a more tense and panicky situation. Btw,as other people have and will say, they're not technically "zombies" in 28-DL, they're "infected," more scientific that way.

I hope the World War Z movie does the shuffling zombies right, though (and hopefully kills the current vampire fad). With today's special-effects tech, we should be able to see spectacular shuffling zombie movie. I'm personally looking forward to seeing the NYC zombie infestation over-run the US army at Yonkers.

Layz92

May 4, 2009
Am I really the only one (I always halt after using that phrase but whatever) that is tired of zombies? Why can't we use other undead in movies/games as the main enemy creature? (vampires don't count) Like wights or shades or something similar. I personally wouldn't mind seeing a skeleton horde for a change. So in answer to your question I would prefer my zombies in the form of another monster.

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
Layz92 said:
Am I really the only one (I always halt after using that phrase but whatever) that is tired of zombies? Why can't we use other undead in movies/games as the main enemy creature? (vampires don't count) Like wights or shades or something similar. I personally wouldn't mind seeing a skeleton horde for a change. So in answer to your question I would prefer my zombies in the form of another monster.
Because of pop culture. Zombies and vampires are more or less accepted as 'mainstream' monsters, but skeletons and mummies and other undead are still very much in the 'pulp' domain.