Poll: How do you pay your friends?

thejackyl

Apr 16, 2008
Most of my friend's favors center around money, so it's hard to avoid dealing with money.

For example: My friend needed some money to buy his wife her Christmas present, I bought it, and he's paying me back what he can, when he can. Than again this guy is practically a brother to me so that's a bit different.

Most other circumstances, a friend does me a favor, I'll return the favor eventually.

In your situations...

Builder: Pay the cost they would charge anyone else(If it's their job), if they're doing it as a favor/hobby, at least pay for the parts and throw in a little bit for their time.

Waiter: I wouldn't treat them any different other than maybe the conversation I would have with them. Than again, I usually tip decently if the service was good.

generals3

Mar 25, 2009
I wouldn't ask for a discount but I would expect him to propose one and i wouldn't take it well if he didn't.

kickyourass

Apr 17, 2010
Pay him in full unless he says otherwise, ask to pay less and he may feel like he's being taken advantage of, overpay him and he may feel some kind of extra obligation to you. Let HIM be the one to bring up changes in payment amounts and go from there.

AjHedgehog

Aug 3, 2012
For the most part I would offer however much it would cost although (as I do whenever doing anything for my mates) they will just ask me to pay for anything they had to buy to do the job specifically then a drink is owed on the next night out. The UK ladies and gentlemen where alcohol is legal tender

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Friend? What's a friend?

Pay the normal amount. If he offers me a discount, fine (I might even refuse that, come to think of it). But I'm not going to try to rip off a friend. I won't pay him more either, he'll just get paid for his work. Easy as that. Favors one way or the other can end friendships very fast.

Spiridion

Oct 17, 2011
I'm going to concur with everyone else and say I would pay the normal amount, or ask him to set a price for the job. If they're a decent friend they'll be fair about it, and if they'd like to give you a discount as a friend that's up to them. Either way I'd probably buy them lunch or a six pack at some point during the process, as well.

Blaster

Apr 30, 2011
My best friend and I borrow money from each other every now and then, and pay each other back IN FULL (this also applies to services, help and whatnot). We just mutually come up with when payment is enough, since we're both fairly like minded. However; we tend to repay one another not with money, but burritos. Seriously. Burritos. Its a California thing, I guess.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
I've commissioned a couple of friends to draw stuff for me and in those cases I just paid them their usual price.

Apr 5, 2008
I would've probably agreed on a price beforehand, but in the absence of that, I would ask him and let him make the call. Assuming it's within reasonable expectations for the work I'd probably pay the amount without argument out of friendship.

norashepard

Mar 4, 2013
I wouldn't pay more exactly, but if it was a good job and I wanted to thank my friend, I might take them out to eat or something else like that, because if I paid them extra it might go to whatever company they worked for and not them alone. For a waiter though, I'd definitely give a bigger than usual tip.

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
If it's a whole day thing, and isn't very difficult, payment is in pizza and beer.
If it's something like laying down hardwood floor (we actually had my step-brother do that at my mom's house), payment is standard, plus being extra nice as he was family.

leviticusd

Mar 19, 2009
We have a friend that has done some odd jobs for us around the house. We've done four jobs with him. He framed some rooms we were redesigning, put in a new front door, removed an ugly bannister and replaced it with a half wall, and recently removed an old window and replaced it with a sliding glass door.

In general, we asked him how much and he would offer a price lower than his standard rates and we would pay a bit more than he asked. He did us a favor as a friend and we payed more to show our appreciation.

What it generally came down to is we paid his cost for the materials and paid him pretty close to his going rate on service.

Worked out okay, no hard feelings there.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Master of the Skies said:
It hasn't come up, but I'd let them decide how much I ought to pay them. I'd trust them to set a good price and while I'd like a discount it's up to them whether they want to give me one.
Pretty much this. I'd ask what he/she wants to be paid, take the price they give me and leave it at that. Cheaper would be nice, but I'm not so terrible a friend that I'd ask for it or make a fuss if I didn't get it. The most I'd do, if the number I'm given is well above my expectations, is ask him to make sure that's the right number.

ForumSafari

Sep 25, 2012
I operate a double standard on this.

When I am paying them I pay in full unless billed differently and if it's ridiculously low I'll query it.

When I'm doing something I'm professionally qualified to do I just charge parts. I have a job which doesn't often require parts though so I provide equipment and time free. A four pack of a cheeky ale is pleasant but not necessary. A thank you is necessary but I've never not got one.

floppylobster

Oct 22, 2008
Typically they are the ones to give you a discount. Especially if they're in a trade. In a restaurant or other low margin industry you pay the normal price and they are thankful to have your (hopefully repeat) business.

The only time you might ever pay them more, is if you are extremely rich and you know they are not. But you may risk offending them.

But let's face it, if you're really friends with this person (and it's not just someone you know) then you should be able to talk to them about it.

Jamieson 90

Mar 29, 2010
I'd expect to pay the standard rate unless otherwise stated; I'm certainly not going to pay him more than what he'd charge total strangers but I wouldn't expect a discount unless he offered, and if he did and it was a handsome discount I'd probably buy him a few beers as a thank you.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
In your scenario I would pay them normal, but usually with my friends we just do stuff for free.

Mobax

Oct 10, 2012
It depends, did you formally hire your friend to do work for you? Or did you ask your friend to help you install a fireplace you already bought?

In the first case, if you hire your friend to do his job for you, I would expect to pay his normal rate, if my friend wants to offer me a discount because we're friends that's a bonus. Most companies don't allow the customer to dictate how much they'll pay, friends or otherwise.

In the second case, I would probably take my friend out for dinner or something. Compare it to moving houses, you can hire movers to move your stuff, or you can get friends and family to help for free. Generally you just give them some pizza and beers after. I know my dad has helped friends of his with stuff around their houses that relates to work, he doesn't get paid by them, because he's just helping out in the evening or something.

Conclusion, it depends on what scenario your friends are working for/with you. I know that I've gone to restaurants where I am served by a friend, I generally tip a little bit more then my usual because it's my friend. I've also worked in a restaurant years ago, and if friends of mine came in, I would sometimes be able to get them a discount on their bill. To me that's how friend should be towards each other, generous on both sides of the coin.