Poll: How do you pronounce Terraria

AwkwardTurtle

Aug 21, 2011
I thought it was just simply Te-RAWR-ia. :D I can't even imagine it being pronounced the first option in the poll. x3

Couch Radish

Mar 28, 2011
I'll type how to say it right.

1. Ter (as in "terrain")
2. Rawr (easy to know if you're from the Internet)
3. ee-a (Don't know a word that has that)

Terraria.

Subwayeatn

Jan 28, 2011
tear-air-ia was was the only possible way to say it in my mind until i heard my brother say tur-are-ia.

6_Qubed

Mar 19, 2009
When in doubt, err on the side of piracy.

More like ARR on the side of piracy amirite?!

(no you aren't and you should be ashamed)

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
Scrimshaw13 said:
its just the word terrarium with an "a" on the end. You say it just like that.
This. It still amazes me when people pronounce stuff wrong without actually thinking.

Naeo

Dec 31, 2008
/ˌtɛr.'ɑr.iː.ʌ/ (I think I did my IPA right)

That is to say, "tair-ARE-ee-uh".

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Jodah said:
Scrimshaw13 said:
This. It still amazes me when people pronounce stuff wrong without actually thinking.
It's more than that; terraria is actually the proper plural form of "terrarium," or at least it would be if English followed Latin rules for Latin loan words. Because it doesn't, both Terraria and terrariums are considered proper. Anyway, I'm surprised more people don't know that terraria is actually a word.

kabooz18

May 27, 2009
... just like it's written Terra-ria because it stems from the word terra = latin for earth so it should be fairly obvious but then again there are people named after alcohol what does one really expect from people anymore

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Jodah said:
Scrimshaw13 said:
It's more than that; terraria is actually the proper plural form of "terrarium," or at least it would be if English followed Latin rules for Latin loan words. Because it doesn't, both Terraria and terrariums are considered proper. Anyway, I'm surprised more people don't know that terraria is actually a word.
I actually did know that its just that, as you said, most people don't know terraria is a word. (Hell, even my browser is yelling at me for typing it :p) Many more people know the word terrarium, and how to say it.

I could just be jaded about pronunciation though. Many of my friends and family ask me how to pronounce words on a daily basis. It gets annoying after awhile.

Jul 9, 2008
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Jodah said:
Scrimshaw13 said:
Oh, it's a real word? In that case...

Yep. Just checked Dictionary.com [http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/terraria]. Terr-Air-ee-uh.

Syphous

Apr 6, 2009
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Jodah said:
Scrimshaw13 said:
Oh, it's a real word? In that case...

Yep. Just checked Dictionary.com [http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/terraria]. Terr-Air-ee-uh.
Thank you. You all saved me the trouble of pointing this out.

I'm really surprised at how close the poll is.

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
"Teh-reh-ree-ah"

Like Terror crossed with aria... What is an aria? I don't know.

We need someone who made the game to tell us how it's pronounced. xD But for now I guess it doesn't matter that much.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
It's Terr-AH-ria. In IPA it's ter'ɑːriːa. That's because the sound we're talking about is an open back unrounded vowel stemming from the latin word Terra, meaning Earth, which is spelled ter'a (also with an open back unrounded vowel).

xXGeckoXx

Jan 29, 2009
lacktheknack said:
believer258 said:
Like a pirate.

My brother and I have been having this argument. He takes it completely seriously. I don't see how anyone could see it spelled any other way.

Terraria

Terr - arr - eee - uhh

Terraria

Where the hell do you get "air" from? There's no spelling to suggest that...
I get "terr - air - ee - uh" because the word looks like "terrarium", which is pronounced similarly.
I still agree that at first glance it is undoubtedly spelled Ter-a-ria (arrr way). The only reason I even sympathise with people who pronounce it the other way is because TiY and Blue (Devs) do.

edit:

terra-ria that is much more obvious. terrarium is just a further abstraction of terra and come to think of it terrarium is not a word it is a book that is commonly used as a word. the correct term is vivarium.