Poll: How do you pronounce "Zebra"?

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Ok this may seen to be a random thread but read on!

There has been two incidents when the pronouncation of the word "Zebra" has been brought up to me recently-

The first was during Christmas Day when I was at my aunt flat (apartment) watching Madagascar with my uncle and cousin. I said something about the character Marty (the Zebra) which I had said "Zebra" as "Zee-bra" and my cousin quickly rebuttal me that it's "Zeh-bra". Sure I thought nothing more on it until today at work.

The manager and I were trying to find the PLU code (an ID code of the product) of these Zebra printed luggages that we brought down from the warehouse. I got confused at what the manager was saying at finding the code for the "sev-bra" (that what it sounded like to me at first) luggages until I thought back about the other pronouncation of the word Zebra.

So how it got me thinking, how do you pronounce the word "Zebra"? (What? It was a slow day at work.)

A quick pronouncation search reveal that US folks say Zebra as "Zee-bra" and British folks say it as "Zeh-bra". I'm from the UK and yet I say it as "Zee-bra".... which I blame on the media when they pronounce that word.

As for discussion values, has there been a time when you pronounce a word but then someone else quickly told you that it was pronounce something differently?

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
'Zeh-bra' here, although I do know a few fellow Brits including my own grandfather who say 'Zee-bra', so you aren't alone there.

I've been corrected on pronunciation a fair few times, since I naturally learn best by reading and then occasionally it'll turn out a name is said differently to how I imagined. For example, for a while I thought East Asian words such as Mao were pronounced like 'May-o' rather than the correct 'Moul' sound.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
"Zeh-Bra", and I try to make it sound like I'm saying "The bra" in a bad German accent.

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
"Zeh-bra", and I've never heard another Brit pronounce it differently.

[small]I'm not calling you a freak, but...[/small]

Raikas

Sep 4, 2012
"Zeh-bra", but now that I'm spending about 40% of the year in the US thanks to a work assignment, it's landing somewhere between the Zeh- and Zee- pronunciations, so I imagine that I sound silly to most people.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Zee-bra.

Fun story...I once spent the better part of a day trying to convince my girlfriend that "Leopard" was pronounced the same as "Leotard". Alas, I have very little verisimilitude with her.

Jamieson 90

Mar 29, 2010
I'm British and I too pronounce it "Zeh-bra". It probably comes from how we pronounce the letter Z in the first place. In Britain it's pronounced Z'ed while in the States it's Z'ee. Like Jay Z.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Zee-bra, although zee-bruh is a more accurate way of writing it out -- zee-bra phonetically looks like the second syllable should be pronounced as in the short form of brassiere.

And I'm an American. The only place I've even heard it pronounced zehbra before was in the opening cutscene to an old PS1 game, and the accent used there was an accent I couldn't begin to place, but not a native English speaker's accent, at any rate. The game was Omega Boost, if anyone cares. A game which, interestingly enough, had some differences in the cutscenes depending on which country you bought it in, I think mostly to do with the music.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Well it's only got the one vowel between Z and B so you should say it's name Zee-bruh.
dylanmc12 said:
Striped mule

Ze-bra. Not like the American "Z", which is pronounced "xed". Or is it like the American Z?
What? In the UK I know you say 'zed' for this letter in America we say 'Zee'

x EvilErmine x

Cake or death?!
Apr 5, 2010
Fraser Greenfield said:
Hoplon said:
Just to screw with you, Zeb-ra. Also from the UK.
This man is correct.... As am I! Zeb-ra ftw!
Thirded? That's how I say it too and I'm also from the uk. I thought that's the way everyone says it if they're not american.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
You brits are killing the english language. It's clearly Zee-bra.