Poll: How do you pronounce "Zebra"?

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
Zee-bra. Had to say it in my head a few times.
I assume I pronounce it that way because the Swedish version is Se-bra.

Not sure about the second question, but I know I still can't pronounce melee and meme right. I say me-lee and me-me since I read the words long before I ever heard anyone say them.

LongAndShort

I'm pretty good. Yourself?
May 11, 2009
Zeh-bra most of the time though the occasional Zee-Bruh has snuck out, and I'm down in Australia.

I remember getting into some heated discussion with my family over the pronounciation of Cicada. My parents, sisters and I all insisted it was pronounced zic-AH-da (we're NSW, Sydney-bred), while my cousins, aunts and uncles (WA and Tassie-bred) all insisted it was pronounced zic-AE-da. It's amazing how long an argument like that can go on for.

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
scorptatious said:
From the US here, and I use Zee-bra. Never knew people pronounced it differently until now.

Looks like I learned something new today! :D
Yeah

on the other hand, everyone in the UK knows the American pronunciations cos of film and TV

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
It used to be Zee-bra but I've switched to Zeh-bra. I think it sounds cooler and is more Canadian besides. Z is pronounced Zed!

Lawnmooer

Apr 15, 2009
So... As a UK resident, I pronounce it in a similar fashion to the name Debra.

Put me down as another "Zeh-bra" user.

I do know about people who refer to it as "Zee-bra" but don't understand it (Especially when things that use similar spellings such as the name I referred to, are pronounced a different way)

But then again, I do get confused about various ways of pronouncing things, for example:

Americans refer to Buoys as "Boo-ees" rather than "Boys"

It's not all America hating though, I still don't understand the British pronunciation of "Lieutenant" as "Lef-tennant" I mean honestly, where's the F (Or "PH") in that word...

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
Redlin5 said:
It used to be Zee-bra but I've switched to Zeh-bra. I think it sounds cooler and is more Canadian besides. Z is pronounced Zed!
Reminds me of a stargate atlantis skit.

(skip to 2:15)

Funny enough, Stargate SG1 uses "zee" while Atlantis uses "zed." Seems like the head scientist dictates...err...dictation.