Poll: How Far do you Agree with Piracy?

Count_de_Monet

Nov 21, 2007
harhol said:
I don't understand why anyone would be A, B, C, D or E. Otherwise for your views to be consistent you'd also have to be against renting, eBay, buying pre-owned and borrowing from a friend. There is no tangible difference between torrenting to try something out and borrowing. None. The developer & publisher receive no compensation in either instance. Both are also illegal if you check the small print.
Do you know of any store that rents PC games?

Anyway, aside from being nitpicky, who says my views have to be consistent?

Developers views are pretty consistent though, they would be pretty happy if they could get rid of renting, trading, aftermarket sales, and borrowing... Every store in my area caters to console gamers and even large game outlets like Best Buy and Target have absolutely pathetic PC gaming sections. EB Games has an atrocious PC gaming section in every nearby store and a few don't even have one. There is no used PC games market in stores and you are taking a risk if you buy a used game online (I've been had a couple times). Steam is the last bastion of PC gaming and it seems to be doing quite a burgeoning business and even though I hate not owning the disc I'm being slowly converted to the Steam world.

Enigmers

Dec 14, 2008
I believe that if a company makes a good game, enough people will buy it and they will still be filthy stinking rich. If companies try to bog down their game-ships with anti-piracy cannons in lieu of actual content or whatnot, and make their games basically a giant fuck-you to the average user - a la Spore - then companies who have their games pirated more often than not - EA - get what they fucking deserve. Ditto for demos - people like demos, and if you don't provide them, they come up with their own ways of getting a "free trial" - it's just that sometimes it's easy to just get the whole game, try it out, beat it, and suddenly you think "enh, this is alright but not worth the 50$." Whereas if the demo had come out and made the game seem like the shit, people would definitely be rushing to pay 50$ per copy, and the amount of pirates would be much lower.

Face it, there will always be pirates, and fucking over the non-privateering population, you're probably going to get a faceful of Negative-one-billion-dollar-net-income. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_Arts]

No, I do not own a legal or an illegal copy of Spore, in case you were wondering. And I probably never will.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Eh, a poll isn't the best option for this topic, as views on what is and isn't acceptable piracy can be very complicated. I think B and C are ok. Other than that, to the stockades with you!

out0v0rder

Dec 16, 2008
Piracy is the SALE of goods that have had their copyrights infringed upon. Just so people know....

If you copy a cd and listen to it, it's not piracy.....but it's still illegal.

If you made 50 copies of a cd and sold them, thats piracy.

teisjm

Mar 3, 2009
The way I do it it's like this

If I didn't have the oppertunity to pirate it, would i pay for it?

If yes, then I buy it, when it comes to music i might DL it first and then get it, but i'll buy it eventually.
If no then I don't see the problem in pirating it, cause noone is loosing money, cause i wasn't gonna buy it anyways.

neuromasser

Jan 20, 2009
corroded said:
You've likely got it cached, since you've likely viewed it before...
Ok, I cleared cache, restarted firefox, and it's still okay. I don't get why are you persistent about this not working?
There is youtube thread here, and some videos are embedded like in my post.

AtticusSP

Apr 6, 2009
I download stuff I have no intention of buying. Like Spore. I'm not going to pay for that, I rather not play it at all than buy it. I mostly buy my games, and everything I've pirated are games that already had awesome sales.

neuromasser

Jan 20, 2009
corroded said:
I honestly don't understand your point, and why it's so important to you? Are you allergic to fail or something
Actually I'm allergic to tomatoes, I don't know if that counts xD

I didn't want to prove anything, just to show that embedding generally works. I'm sorry if it looked like I tried to convince you, I was nervous :/

Zinras

Jan 29, 2009
Spoilers: Everyone that says pirating is stealing needs to get back to economy and marketing 101. The only way it would actually be remotely possible to "lose" a sale is if someone bought the game with store credit, went home, didn't open the game or install it, downloaded, installed and played a copy from TPB and the likes and THEN returned the unopened game for full credit back. Until then, nothing was lost, as they didn't receive any money in the first place. And unless they somehow had millions of signed contracts from people all over the world guaranteeing they'd buy the next album/game, arguing "but we predicted this many sales!11" amounts to predicting tomorrow's lottery numbers and complain when you don't win the top prize.

Likewise, internet "pirates" are just the new scapegoats of several industries that need someone to blame for their lousy quality. In the 80s, the tape recorder was the bad guy because it allowed you to record music off the radio, and back then the music industry declared it would be dead in a few years if it kept going. Repeat for first being able to burn cds in the 90's, to Napster, to the current torrent system. The fact is that they have NEVER sold more cds or games than they do now. Just take a note of how many times per year the record for "most albums sold in a week/month" is broken and how many games go gold (this is also based on pre-orders), get Game of the Year editions, expansion packs etc. that would not be possible through lousy sales.

Their actual problem is two-fold, if you ask me: First of all, the overall quality is lousy in the extreme. How many of your albums do you actually listen to, full length, today? Good artists are definitely out there, which brings me to the second problem they have: Everyone and their mother does it today. American Idol, X-Factor, America's got talent and so on and so on for every single country on Earth (no, really, even Afghanistan has X-Factor or Idol, I can't remember which). ALL of these have to have an album made for the winner, regardless of actual talent. Then there are also thousands upon thousands of tiny studios/record companies that all need artists to stay afloat. When was the last time you could mention a few thousand rock stars? The exact same thing applies for games: There are untold amounts of 5-people game developers around and they're just not good enough to make the next Starcraft or DOOM or Baldur's Gate.

Tl; dr: They are flooding an oversaturated market with thousands of products of questionable quality, making the ones that are actually GOOD sell less than they might be able to because people are simply sick and tired of the general level of quality. It's getting so bad it's like asking you to buy vegetables from a single farmer out of the millions of farms around the world: To the average person, there's simply no difference between the vegetables, and it applies to music and games too. Why buy Game 1 when there's also Game 2, Game 3 and Game 37637823628 to choose between? And why buy Britney when you can buy Aguilera, the latest Idol/X-Factor/Whatever winner and so on.

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
B, C, E, and possibly F are okay in my book. I don't really see the harm in somebody pirating an old GBA rom of a niche game that's never getting a remake and is extremely hard to find in stores (hypothetically, something like King of Fighters EX2: Howling Blood, which is hard to find, expensive and isn't probably ever getting ported to another system.) Likewise, some GBA/Snes titles are nearly impossible to find and have yet to be remade/ported. Even when they are ported, many times the ports are laughable shadows of the original games.

Nobody is losing tons of sales from the piracy of out-of-print niche games, certainly not more than they are from, say, used game sales (not that I'm opposed to those, I'm definitely in favor of used games!) What if the developers no longer exist, the game series is dead, and there's nobody to give money TO? Sometimes this is also the case.