Poll: How Happy Are You Being Single?

Jacco

May 1, 2011
So I've been single for a long time and up until recently, I was content to be so. I won't say happy, but content. Anyway, this girl I met in a class I took caught my attention when I began chatting with her on Facebook and as we were talking, the subject of relationships came up.
I thought she had a boyfriend but it turned out she didn't and she made a point of telling me she was single and then made another point of telling me she was happy as such because she'd been in a solid string of them since she was 15 (we're 21).

That got me thinking. Is anyone REALLY happy to be single? Or is it just an excuse they tell themselves to justify not being in a relationship? I can't understand that anyone would be happy to be single. And if one was truly happy being single, then why would they ever say yes to a date?

mParadox

Susurration
Sep 19, 2010
Country
Germany
I'm fairly happy actually. Not much to tell, really. :p

I have no interest in finding a relationship. I just don't see the appeal of it, in all honesty.
As much I love seeing love bloom around me, I'd rather pass. >.>

Lizardon

Robot in Disguise
Mar 22, 2010
I am happy being single. I have absolutely no desire to try and find a girlfriend, much to my parents disappointment. I enjoy being by myself and I honestly do not see the appeal of relationships at my age (19). I've never met someone who I would even contemplate trying to have a relationship with.

So yeah I'm single and very happy.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Quite happy. I don't want a relationship, not until I change something.

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
Huh? Of course you can be happy and single. All people really want is to feel like someone cares about them or would notice if they suddenly just died. This doesn't have to come from a partner but can come from a close relationship with friends and family. So I don't think people necessarily need romantic love, but I think everyone needs to be loved by someone to be happy. Naturally, no one loves me so I'm quite miserable.

Granted, perhaps there are people who really do need romantic love. I just don't think it's absurd to think that someone could still be perfectly happy with emotional support from other avenues, as long as they have someone they can trust and whose company they enjoy.

iwinatlife

Aug 21, 2008
newly single and until recently was experiencing what could only be described as soul crushing despair because i was until recently happily engaged...and then she left me...for someone else...and within a month they were engaged...and i live with them...yeaaaaaaah but now im talking to a girl who i dated briefly a few years ago and that might work out

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Single at the moment, I wouldn't say I'm completely content, I do get a pang of envy when I see couples I know sometimes.

But at the moment being single makes sense, I'm in the final year of my course, I'm doing placements all over the state (and even one on the other side of the world), I have no fixed address, no real money yet. Next year I graduate and I get a job possibly anywhere in the state, and for a few years I'll have to do training in different areas. I have certain things I want to do, travel, own a house of a certain style and size, join the army reserves. Stuff that settling down might interfere with. So I'm pretty happy being a confirmed bachelor for the mean time.

Though being single doesn't nessescarily mean being alone or sexless (though it increases those chances).

Euphbug

Mar 31, 2009
I'm quite happy with my being single. I never really was a people person, to the point of being around most people even if I acted like the nicest guy on the planet made me pretty unhappy. I like my solitude and I dislike people braking it. Sure, sometimes being around people is alright, but overall I prefer the majority of my time being spent alone. (or at least without physical company, thank you computer)

iwinatlife

Aug 21, 2008
I guess I'm so unhappy because I am a codependent people pleaser so the idea of not having one central person to make happy kinda sets me adrift. Not to mention living with a reminder of my abject failure to make her happy (her being happy with someone else) kinda really doesn't help

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
Mortai Gravesend said:
manic_depressive13 said:
Naturally, no one loves me so I'm quite miserable.
That sounds rather depressing, but it seems to be said so casually I'm not sure what to think...
Suggest to me an easy, painless and effective way of killing myself and I'll prove it to you.

Antitonic

Enlightened Dispenser Of Truth!
Feb 4, 2010
Being asexual, I don't want to be with anyone more than just hanging out as friends. No relationship drama, no wasting money (you don't want to), just happy loneliness.

MidnightCat

Jul 21, 2009
I'm single and I'm happy.
Am I happy to be single? Meh.
On one hand, it would be nice to have someone. On the other hand, now isn't a good time for me to be in a relationship, I don't know anyone I'd like to be in one with, and I wouldn't bloody know what to do if I was in one.
I'd like to say that I'm happy to be single, but I've never experienced the alternative. Perhaps I'm actually terribly lonely and I'm just deluding myself.