Poll: How many languages can you fluently speak?

SturmDolch

This Title is Ironic
May 17, 2009
Three.

English, Swiss-German, and German.

Swiss-German is a dialect of German, but it's very distinct; people from Germany usually can't understand it.

I also speak intermediate French and Spanish.

Harkonnen64

Jul 14, 2010
Americanese!

Just kidding. I lived on the U.S./Mexico border until I was 6, then moved away. By then, I didn't have a need to speak Spanish. However, English was my best subject in high school. I figure if I'm only going to speak one language, I should speak it well.

Thingo

Aug 14, 2008
4. English, Arabic (if you split it up into Gulf Arabic and North African Arabic which are kind of like Norwegian and Swedish, i have 5 languages), Swedish and German. Or... Well, i have an excellent understanding of German but i don't speak it 100% fluently. I slip up occasionally.

gl1koz3

May 24, 2010
I'd say four, but really, three: Russian, Latvian, English. Fourth would be German. Although I have a diploma that I've learned it and am authorized to even study in Germany, my vocabulary sucks because of lack of practice. I'm still good at grammar etc of it.

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
I can speak English (my native language) And a little bit of French, and have been learning Japanese. The webside said "Learn Japanese in 5 easy steps!" Aparently someone forgot to add the "And 10,000 hard steps!" Bit in. I guess since I know crap about Japanese (And what I do know is basically verbal inputs) I guesse that doesnt count. So 2.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
English and french (french immersion school from k-9). So 2. But I can get by in spanish as well.

the_Origin

Nov 19, 2009
1 English

I spent 6 years trying to learn spanish.... I can still barley make coherent sentences.

Kinguendo

Apr 10, 2009
Wheres the 0 option? Because, have you heard chavs and their ilk? "Sup bled, you wanna get dizzy?" <- Erm, what?

kurokotetsu

Proud Master
Sep 17, 2008
SturmDolch said:
Swiss-German is a dialect of German, but it's very distinct; people from Germany usually can't understand it.
And Cuban is very different from Mexican and a lot of people can't understand it, but that doesn't make it a different language, just a strong accent.

I don't understand the trend in this threat of cosnidering different languages what are basically dialects. I don't speak Mexican, I speak Spanish, and it proabbly has more diferences tha German and Swiss German (after two centuries of separation and an ocean in the middle).

monkey_man

Jul 5, 2009
Have you heard me talking? I keep tripping over words in any language!
It's fine in my head, but I think my tongue is stupid.

David_G

Aug 25, 2009
3, my own (Macedonian), Croatian/Serbian (they're very similar) and of course, English. Now I'm in the process of learning French, which is going pretty well.

Marmal4de

Apr 4, 2010
I speak Hebrew fluently, but since both my parents are immigrants (American mom and Australian dad) English is my mother tongue and I express myself far better in English. I also studied a bit of German but i'm by no means fluent.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
C#, ASP, AJAX, Basic, thinking of learning some Python, C++, Java...

Oh, you mean those languages... hmm... English.

Maclennan

Jul 11, 2010
I just speak English, but my technical communications prof seem to think that i am unable to speak even English.

Marowit

Nov 7, 2006
Fluently, just English.

If I had 6mo. to bum around I'd have my French up to fluency though. And, I'm slowly working on Japanese via Rosetta Stone..but that shit's expensive!