Poll: How many legendaries is too much in a pokemon team?

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
since I have no use at all for PvP I usually just bring the one favorite around with me, for no other reason then he's a total BAMF, Giratina [http://images2.fanpop.com/images/photos/6700000/Giratina-dragon-type-6718787-768-746.jpg].

None of that shiny shit though, those colors are horrid, sides, my lvl 75 Gira is probably stronger then the free lvl 100 I got due to getting it at lvl 1 :3 yay for Soul Silver I say.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Adeptus Aspartem said:
Legendaries =/ Ubers.

There are legends which are just garbage. Usually people should agree on what they want to play before hand. Because it's not funny to face Lugia, Darkrai and their friends when you derp around with Raichus and Muks.

Also Volcarona is no legendary. On the otherhand the new super mole + garchomp are usually forbidden and are played alongside the ubers. And once you faced a decent sandstorm team you know why - because dat mole 1hits every non-uber pokemon usually.

SkarKrow said:
Shuckle + Umbreon.

Poison.

Stall for fucking eternity.

OT: I never really bother using them as they aren't very fun in game, competitively you should fight him witha proper ubers team.

And a fucking Wobbuffet.

He shall know the wrath of the miscellaneous turquoise blob.
Ow come on, Wobbuffet is ludicrously overpowered. Isn't he usually banned? Personally i think using Wobuffet is basically the biggest dick-move you can do in a pokemon fight :D
I play all Wobbuffet, all night long :D Wobbuffett is basically a guessing game, but you're right, if somebody knows the meta-game well enough Wobbuffet can pretty much one shot any pokemon in the game by virtueof it's godly HP and countering capacity.

Also dat shadow tag.

stormeris

Aug 29, 2011
I never even capture Legendaries.
They belong in the wild.
Just kidding, i just don't like overpowered shit

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
shootthebandit said:
Zeckt said:
So I have one other friend who plays pokemon so we decided to do the match. To my annoyance he used the 3 shinies from the gamestop event last month + Lugia, Zekrom and a Volcarona. Needless to say I had no fun and when he beat me I just grinned and raised my eyebrow and don't like playing with him anymore.

... At least my Roseraid did QUITE well. Anyways, am I a sore loser? do you think a pokemon team of JUST legendaries is overkill? Anyways, I vote 1 as I find Tornadus just too cool.
Im a gen 1 guy (red/blue). I thought the legendaries where a bit weak i went with a garydos, ivysaur, geodude/dugtrio, kadabra and arcanine which left me a gap for another. Articuno seemed to fit that profile but i wasnt keen on the others. That set up was pretty decent
Yeah, pretty much the only Pokémon game I ever actually played against other people was Red/Blue (the only games I've played being Red, Gold, and Sapphire).

In Red my team was a Garydos, a Charizard, a Zappdos, and 3 MewTwo's. How'd I get three of the bastards? Well my older brother had a Blue version that he never played so I just beat the game on that a few times and traded MewTwo right on over to my Red. :p

Yeah...people didn't like playing against me...especially since all my MewTwo's had Psi-Beam which, back then, was overpowered as all hell.

If I butchered the spelling of any of the names, I apologize...as I mentioned, Pokémon isn't really my thing. To answer the question at hand, though, I feel that as long as the person didn't cheat (which I couldn't call my method of getting 3 MewTwo's cheating, really) then anything goes. I'm the type of player that believes that when it comes to competitive multiplayer, there's no such thing as "cheap weapons". They were put in the game to be used, it's not my fault if you can't find a way to defeat it.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
I'm in the minority because I love legendary Pokemon. Game Freak admits they put more time in creating legendary Pokemon and they have great designs. If they have story significance, it feels cool in game to use them. I should point out I don't do online competitive battles, so this question may not pertain to me anyway. Plus, my favorite Pokemon is a legendary, so I have to have it on my team when I can.

Besides, legendaries aren't invincible, sure they have slightly better stats, but they can be beaten easily if you have the right counters for their types. I wouldn't call you a sore loser, but it's not like the Pokemon you listed are invincible, and Volcarona is a pseudo legendary, which lots of competitive people use.

Oct 2, 2012
Normally I don't put any legendaries on my teams. Theres only one exception and thats when I want to quickly level a really low level pokemon by taking down the Elite 4 with a Lvl. 100 legendary and using EXP share so all the xp goes to my weak pokemon.
Sometimes I just don't want to grind ya know?

But in legit battles I don't like using them or facing them.

Zombie Sodomy

Feb 14, 2013
I use one random bird for travel, whichever Pokemon I taught flash to, my original with surf, and the rest are legendaries. If I got the skill names wrong it's because my games are all in French.

search_rip

Jan 6, 2009
from all the legendaries a have (just 13: Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Zekrom, Tornadus, Landorus, Thundurus, Cobalion, Terrakion, Virizion, Genesect, Keldeo, Meloetta) I would pick 2 because I really like Meloetta and Genesect :3

SuperSuperSuperGuy

Jun 19, 2010
In PVP, it depends on the rules laid out for the match. If there's no limit on the amount of legendary Pokémon permitted, then it's really your own fault for not packing enough of them. These days, there are enough legendary Pokémon and Pokémon that synergize well with, or counter, legendaries for there to be some variety in team building. However, they tend to unbalance and tip the metagame in their favour.

In game, I prefer to not use legendaries, since they basically let you sweep everything and make things less interesting. I'd rather build my team from scratch, and, in a way, bond with them on my adventure. It's just more fun that way.

I don't really think you were being a sore loser, as your friend's team was likely stronger than yours on an almost objective level, and having things so stacked against you is only fun when you win. My advice for dealing with people like your friend: lay down some ground rules. There are tier lists online, Smogon in particular, which, essentially, act as a usage-based ban list which prevent everyone from using the best Pokémon all the time everywhere; higher-tiered Pokémon are banned from lower tiers, while lower-tier Pokémon can still, potentially, be used in higher tiers. I think that, even if you're not going to follow it exactly, it's a decent place to get some idea of which Pokémon unbalance competitive battling.

DkLnBr

Apr 2, 2009
I would say that ≥7 legendaries isn't allowed. At all. No excuses.
sorry to waste your time

MrMixelPixel

Jul 7, 2010
See the thing is, just because a Pokemon is legendary doesn't exactly make it over powered. Some of them are surely, but others like Entei, Cobalion, Articuno, etc do just fine in regular none op play. I'd say the best way to handle this would be to look at each-others teams beforehand, and voice complaints.

If you really wanna get serious about it, maybe take a look at Smogon tier lists? Don't follow them exactly, because that's no fun. They could be a useful reference point though.

http://www.smogon.com/bw/tiers/

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I've never ever used legendaries in a game. They usually show up too late to be of any use except over-killing wildlife. And in any case I'm too fond of my team to make too many adjustments throughout a game. Nothing is ever going to be as powerful to replace one of my members after a while.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
SkarKrow said:
WenisPagon said:
No legendaries, all Shuckle, final destination.
Shuckle + Umbreon.

Poison.

Stall for fucking eternity.

OT: I never really bother using them as they aren't very fun in game, competitively you should fight him witha proper ubers team.

And a fucking Wobbuffet.

He shall know the wrath of the miscellaneous turquoise blob.
I had an Umbreon with toxic, confuse ray, moonlight, and shadow ball. It was the Teemo of my squad.

Knobody13

Feb 16, 2010
Legendary rarely has anything to do with it. It's Uber Pokemon I find distasteful.

Their stats are far too high

http://www.smogon.com/bw/tiers/uber

That list is not all legendary though and many legendary pokemon aren't that broken.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
I tend to play with my starter and some unleveled, irrelevant and never used HM lackeys.

So yea, not much in the way of legendaries. I probably would use them if I competed at all, just cuz legendaries be awesome yo, but I don't care to do anything but play the single player.

KefkaCultist

Jun 8, 2010
I rarely use legendaries purely for the fact that I can't breed them for the nature of my choice and I really don't feel like savescumming until I get the nature. I did use Heatran in Black 2 since I caught him with the right nature.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
I would sometimes use them if I'm stuck but I just think its cooler not to use legendaries.

I really like Mewtwo, but Alakazam is my favourite pokemon and I'd rather have him, and I don't want to have two physic types.

I like all the pseudo-legendary from gens 1-3 though, Particularly Metagross and Tyranitar.