Poll: How many legendaries is too much in a pokemon team?

Nieroshai

Aug 20, 2009
Seven. Definitely seven. But then again, that's too much of anything to bring to a Pokemon battle.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
In my normal party i never put legendaries into it. I have a policy of not using legendaries against other players, and not in the core game.

Only time i ever used a full party of legendaries was against the final Coloseum Champion in Battle Revolution. Seriously, i'm pretty sure his pokemon weren't natural. Even his non-legendaries could chop away nearly all Dialga's health with a regular attack, so yes, i felt the need to steamroll him a bit. Plus NPC's don't have feelings.

lokun489

Jun 3, 2010
It depends. If you tell your friend it's not fair to use an entire team and they agree that's fine. Otherwise I find myself not caring, long as people are in agreement.

Luminous_Umbra

Sep 25, 2011
I would say one, assuming the other person knows. This, of course, doesn't include things like Arceus, White Kyurem, and Black Kyurem, because are just some things you don't use against other people.

Don't get me wrong, I like legendary Pokemon, but considering that even Nintendo banned the use of my favorite legendary's signature move in their tournaments, I don't see it as very fair.

Bonk4licious

Jul 5, 2013
No, I totally hear you, I play to have fun, whether that be competitively or casually with my friends. Some of us do the EV/IV training because I have a ton of fun with the extra level of strategy to it, but in either case we set ground rules. If we do a legendary battle, we label it as such, otherwise they're banned from our standard battling, and we do use a few of the Smogon rules to prevent us from totally sweeping when we just wanna have fun.

I actually have the most fun using lower-tier/under-evolved Pokemon because you actually have to rely on a bit of luck and actually think about what you're doing, rather than just relying on Mewtwo to use Psychic again, because oh my I might split my side laughing if I "happen" to kill another one of your Pidgey's with my Zekrom again.

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
I say maybe one, If it's not one of the super-powerful ones (no qualms against, say, a Uxie) However I feel this should extend to pseudo-legendaries as well. I know they're cool, and statistically better than just about everything (maybe not now, with fairy types and whatnot) but good lord with the battles I've played it seems impossible to avoid a garchomp, dragonite, Metagross, or tyranitar.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Eh. I don't really know.

My original pokemon team had two mewtwos on it. Which was a downright evil thing to do at the time.

(Seriously, one mewtwo can wipe the floor with an entire team so easily in the original games; If you have a second one you can win just about anything.)

That being said, I rarely if ever battled another person. And when I did it was usually someone else with a mewtwo as well.

Then again, I suppose it balances out against having a pikachu on your team...

(Honestly though, my teams were never that original. the 3 starters, a pikachu, a lapras, snorlax, and the two mewtwos were my usual suspects...)

My gold/silver/crystal team was even worse, given I transferred across my old team then added lugia and Suicune...

But battles against others are often more constrained by what you've trained to level 100 (or near enough) than anything else.

A level 100 pikachu for instance can also wipe out a whole team if the level difference is more than about 5-10 levels...

Anyway, legendaries are fun to use, but if you want battles to be interesting you have to set some rules, or it'll be a wipeout.

Legendaries aren't even that bad really (Except mewtwo in the original games), but if one person is using them and the other isn't, things do get a little unbalanced.
However, huge level disparities are much much worse.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Usually I try not to use Legendaries against friends.

But Articuno is my baby... but as an ice flying it's not too tough of a legendary to take down with the right pokemon.
There's WAY tougher... I believe they're called psuedo-legendary, pokemon that could best Articuno.

Neonsilver

Aug 11, 2009
Did you and your friend agree to a max. number of legendarys in your teams? If not, than he didn't do anything wrong, except being a little boring in choosing his team. But it's his right to choose his strongest pokemon for a match with you.

Just talk to him the next time before you fight and agree upon a number of legendarys in your teams.

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
I only use legendary pokemon if their typing is unique only to them. So, I've only ever used Giratina and Dialga from Generation 4 and Reshiram, Zekrom and Kyurem from Generation 5 in my teams. Not that I've ever used them competitively.

It's my ambition to create and design pokemon that are either unique in type, or are types that only legendary pokemon have.

And I stand by my Charizaur idea, regardless of the mega-evolution Charizard has.

FrozenLaughs

Sep 9, 2013
As I dislike all bird Pokemon, I typically end up with a single Legendary in every group, as long as it can learn Fly. (Which is like, every game)

Zepherus14

Jan 24, 2012
LittleJoeRambler said:
Zepherus14 said:
LittleJoeRambler said:
elvor0 said:
Mirrorknight said:
People using legendary annoys me. I used to play Colosseum online, and I'd get people that use Dialga and Giratina teams. Fortunately, I had Garchomp: Destroyer of Legends. 9/10 times he and my Absol would end such teams easily. The other time the person would ragequit. There's always a counter, even for legendary teams.
It's such a shame MegaGarchomp is so naff, minus speed but plus ATK and SPA? What insane bizzarro universe did that decision come from? I understand +ATK/-Speed, but who on earth wants special attack on garchomp? Still I wuv my Garchomp, had him since pearl and aint looked back since.
One-off surprise Draco Meteor against a physical wall? I dunno, that's a puzzler.

In any case, Smogon's tier system is probably the best for deciding what is and isn't allowed for battles between friends. From both perspectives; it's not all that fun to get stomped, but neither is it rewarding to crush someone without challenge.
Smogon is going to have a hell of a time dealing with the new fairy type. It's almost like nintendo got into their folders, picked them up and looked them over. Then they glanced over at smogon. "That's a very nice tier system you've got there." before throwing it out a window.

Still can't believe jigglypuff can sit through a Outrage from a Garchomp and live completely unharmed.
Maybe they thought Dragon was too powerful? I think one of the main reasons for the addition of Dark and Steel type in 2nd gen was how powerful Psychic was, so both of the new types resisted it (and Dark super effective against it). If Fairy is immune to Dragon maybe it's supposed to be a check to an overpowered type.

Problem with that theory is that Dragon is nowhere near as powerful as Psychic was back in the day. I don't know.
Oh no, I understand that the addition was to try and curb all the dragon types that were outraging everyone into oblivion, just saying that all the work that smogon has done is basically thrown out the window. And it's not a resistance, fairy is flat out immune to dragon.

Probably the biggest change that I find rather strange however is the removal of ghost and I believe dark from steel's resistances. Means Gengar is going to have a heyday now with nothing really able to switch into it.

AuronFtw

Nov 29, 2010
Legendaries are in the game so kids can cruise through endgame content without effort, and thus not miss anything. They're banned in competitive play and are mostly pretty boring, already coming at a high level and usually also with a overly flashy STAB attack that more or less instakills stuff. The ridiculously high base stats make them an obvious choice for a "power gamer," but considering you can only use them in the PvE content and the PvE content is already mindnumbingly easy... just use what you want.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
LittleJoeRambler said:
elvor0 said:
Mirrorknight said:
People using legendary annoys me. I used to play Colosseum online, and I'd get people that use Dialga and Giratina teams. Fortunately, I had Garchomp: Destroyer of Legends. 9/10 times he and my Absol would end such teams easily. The other time the person would ragequit. There's always a counter, even for legendary teams.
It's such a shame MegaGarchomp is so naff, minus speed but plus ATK and SPA? What insane bizzarro universe did that decision come from? I understand +ATK/-Speed, but who on earth wants special attack on garchomp? Still I wuv my Garchomp, had him since pearl and aint looked back since.
One-off surprise Draco Meteor against a physical wall? I dunno, that's a puzzler.

In any case, Smogon's tier system is probably the best for deciding what is and isn't allowed for battles between friends. From both perspectives; it's not all that fun to get stomped, but neither is it rewarding to crush someone without challenge.
This is true, though not sure it's worth the effort of training one up for that sole purpose, as amusing as it would be :p I just wanted to digivolve my Garchomp into something where I could keep a similar sort of build to what I already have. Though saying that I assume they'll enable Garchomp to learn more special moves if they're planning on making MegaGarchomp a hybrid stat wise.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
MCerberus said:
SkarKrow said:
WenisPagon said:
No legendaries, all Shuckle, final destination.
Shuckle + Umbreon.

Poison.

Stall for fucking eternity.

OT: I never really bother using them as they aren't very fun in game, competitively you should fight him witha proper ubers team.

And a fucking Wobbuffet.

He shall know the wrath of the miscellaneous turquoise blob.
I had an Umbreon with toxic, confuse ray, moonlight, and shadow ball. It was the Teemo of my squad.
I'd have gone with dark pulse for STAB and to prevent it being taunt fodder for normal types. But umbreon can be a nasty thing to deal with in doubles with the right things, I paired it with my toxic/rest/sub/wrap shuckle.

Brotha Desmond

Jan 3, 2011
I just tend to use whatever legendaries I caught by the elite four. I just don't like having to grind so much.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
I prefer not to use legendaries on my main team, I instead have a separate legendary team I can draw from should the occasion require it. Using non-legendaries gives you and your opponent far more choice and possible combinations rather than the same few OP legendaries time and again.