Poll: How many of you actually nickname your Pokemon?

Not-here-anymore

In brightest day...
Nov 18, 2009
Some of them, but only if I can come up with a name that means something to me, or a decent pun.

My Oshawott was called 'Herp Derp' until it evolved into Samurott, at which point I renamed it 'Charlie', after the infamous unicorn.
My Haxorus is called Percy after a toy dragon I had as a kid.
Most of the pun ones are left in my PC, and I can't remember the names right now...

Cheesus333

Aug 20, 2008
I nickname every damn one. It's just a lot more personal for me that way. For example, which do you think feels more satisfying for me?

a) Noctowl used AERIAL ACE! It's super effective!
b) SCARY JOE used AERIAL ACE! It's super effective!

It's b), for the same reason that if you named your dog Dog, it would be weird. And dissatisfying if he used Aerial Ace.

Well maybe not the same reason, but still.

Hopeless_One

Feb 2, 2010
I usually name the Pokemon that I catch the first thing that pops into my head or look around my room for inspiration.

For example, when I caught my Sandile I looked around and saw a coathanger, thus Coathanger the Sandile was born.

I don't really like giving my Pokemon serious names because it sounds a little ridiculous to be honest, I mean, it IS a kids game and all, why not have some fun with it? :)

On a similar note, it seems as I've grown up, I've become LESS mature, I never used to name my Pokemon anything until the Diamond/Pearl gen, where my new trend started.

TheDrHuw

Jul 23, 2009
only pokemon ive ever knicknamed are the three muskateer pokemon, which i named respectivaly:
Coballion=Arthos
Terrekion=Porthos
Virizion=Aramis

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
I only nickname pokemon I'm going to use, if I'm just catching them to fill my Dex I don't bother. Mostly I just nickname the Pokemon I breed up for good IVs because it's less of a waste of time to think of a nickname while I hatch a couple of hundred of the same egg. I have a Parasect named "Fknfinally" because apparently 99.9% of all Paras in Black have a IV 1 in SpDef. Took me like 2 weeks to get one with 28 or higher.

EDIT: I'm currently breeding a Milotic and still can't think of a name, taking suggestions assuming anybody reads this far into the thread!

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Cheesus333 said:
It's b), for the same reason that if you named your dog Dog, it would be weird. And dissatisfying if he used Aerial Ace.
Oh god, I laughed so hard at that! The mental image of a dog using aerial ace is hilariously awesome! Good show, sir!

Stammer

Apr 16, 2008
I've only nicknamed maybe 2 Pokemon and I've owned 4 different Pokemon games. And one of them was nicknaming a Whooper "Whopper" because I used to LOVE that sandwich.

GaryH

Sep 3, 2008
I only nickname pokemon that I'm going to use in my teams. When I'm actually playing through the game and getting badges I change them so often that I don't really bother.

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
Lul pokemon is fur 5 yr oldz.

Its funny this came up just as I got back into the games, I always name my starter and any other pokemon I plan to use (I play the game by planning specific pokemon for specific gyms in advance) but I never name my legendaries since I refer to them by thier names/

ShenCS

Aug 24, 2010
AWDMANOUT said:
I play my kid's show-based games more maturely now.
FFFFFFF- Games came fiiiiirst!

Anyway, I don't usually apart from the ones that I've decided on using since the beginning. However, on my first White playthrough I made sure to nickname basically everything but the mascot legendary. And a sandile cos I accidentally skipped over it and didn't care enough to rename it...
I felt very clever for noticing the parallel between Throh/Sawk and Tager/Hakumen smugsmug

Riggnarok

Nov 3, 2009
It really depends. If I plan on using the pokemon in my main party, then I tend to nickname them.

Sometimes I even named them after my rival, Douche.

HUYI82

Mar 28, 2011
in pokemon blue and red yes i names all my pokemon, but with each generation and rehash of new and even rediclious pokemon i just can't be bothered anymore.

Lood NL

Mar 13, 2011
Funny combination of moves you can give a Smeargle:
-Harden
-Discharge
-Head Smash
-String Shot

Guess what's his nickname?

Nostalgia

Mar 8, 2009
I never used to nickname my Pokemon, but I nicknamed my team in White this time around. I rotated frequently so I have about 15 or so that were part of my team at some point that I gave names to.

I think I had posted all the names and explained them in another thread on here, so I see no need to post them again.