Poll: How many of you have Asperger's/Autism?

SirCannonFodder

Nov 23, 2007
Was diagnosed with Aspergers at 15, but the psychologist was something of a quack (had a serious case of confirmation bias), and I doubt I really have it (or if I do, it's incredibly mild). I'm just lazy and socially awkward.

GrimTuesday

May 21, 2009
I personally don't have it, or at least I'm pretty sure I don't. I do have some rather crippling social anxiety problems that are made worse by some self worth issues, but apart from that, I'm just a normal guy.

I find that a large percentage of people on the internet who claim to have aspergers are either people who have some sort of social anxiety, or are just not very good socially so they try to slap a label on it and going with aspergers because it seems to be "in" similar to how kids had "ADHD" in the late 90's early 2000s. Sure, there are those who actually have it, and I wouldn't be surprised if there was a larger occurrence of it within online communities such as this (non-verbal communication, takes out much of the social behavioral norms and etiquette and such), but it seems to me that there are many who claim they have it who don't.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Deshara said:
So, in the last few years, 30% of this forum has developed a chronic mental disability? I call shenanagins. People are too quick to hear about a symptom and say "HEY I HAVE THAT!!!". Especially when that disability is some-fucking-how "cool," for what largely amounts to being because it's a nice, simple excuse for being a dickhead. Somehow it's better to say you're fucking retarded than it is to admit you're just akward sometimes.

Hell, I have sociopathic tendancies, but that doesn't make me a sociopath, and I refuse to go get tested for it because even if I was a socio/psychopath, that wouldn't change anything. I am responsible for my actions, personality disorder or no, and seeking out a mental illness just to justify the way I treat others is just assinine and childish.
hmm I knew this would be raised at some point

the poll should show both "self-diagnoses" and "actual" disagnoses..that would be interesting

and some say its a little over-diagnosed, in somone whos just a bit socially awkward...like ADHD, which I can see happening

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
I supposedly have it. Although I could've been misdiagnosed since I've met Aspergers people with far mroe trouble and for the most part I don't have any problems.

I don't exactly understand social norms, but that's simply because I find them fucking stupid and people who follow them seem to do it along the lines of "Well, everyone else does it DERP, and being different is stupid DERP".

Also, when it was explained to me the conditions I was most told about was being bullied and having very few interests. Which at that point I was like "So...I get bullied...so it's my fault?...That's stupid."

I have read all the symptoms and I must say they do sound like me, because they just sound logical. But I have nowhere near the problems others have. I wouldn't sya I'm socially awkward. I guess I used to be, but I'm not. People just use that as a label of "YOU'RE DIFFERENT THAN ME! AAAAAAAAHH!"

Random Fella

Nov 17, 2010
I'm pretty sure a lot of people think they have these disorders when they don't
But then again who am I to question them
I have neither of these disorders

Kathinka

Jan 17, 2010
every fourth here has a severe mental condition? yeaaaaaah, no. it's probably the same thing like with asexuality on this boards, it's hip and trendy and a convienient excuse for low social skills.

no offense to the two or three actual asperger sufferers and asexuals that are bound to roam this forums by law of statistics.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Well, to quote from a letter I got in the post this morning:
"We discussed Dr ______'s suggestion that she may have asperger's type traits. Ms _______ disagrees with this and her mother suggested that some factors, such as being introspective and avoiding social interaction, might simply have..."
Nothing more from that letter really matters here.
First doctor says I have Asperger's type traits.
I say feth that. I'm just extremely shy.
So, no, I'd say I don't have it, however, my first doctor says I have certain traits and may have it.
What a load of rubbish.

ezaviel

Mar 26, 2011
Something which may interest many people in this thread. The DSM-V is looking at rolling Aspergers into Autism, and tightening the diagnostic criteria of this new "Autism Spectrum Disorder".

It is getting a lot of hype for fear that people on the edges of diagnosis will "lose" their diagnosis (and access to special programs this may entail).

As has been pointed out in this thread however, Aspergers is massivly overdiagnosed.

Thoughts?

cthulhuspawn82

Oct 16, 2011
So Aspergers is the new mental disorder that everyone is diagnosed with by diagnosis happy, pill pushing, doctors. I think it was ADD before this.

Oh psychology, when will you grow up and be a real science.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
This thread is silly and shows how clueless some people are. Personally, I do not have any medical disorders(Mental or physical) that I am aware of. I am currently 28.

UrieHusky

Sep 16, 2011
Diagnosed at age 6 by Whangarei District Hospital, diagnosed a second time by te roopu kimiora clinic, then a third time by Starship hospitals mental ward thingy.
Good times...

Kizi

Apr 29, 2011
Nope, nothing like that. At least, not that I know of. *panics*
Vrex360 said:
I do, I was diagnosed when I was eleven. I'd talk about it more but I already made a whole blog post about it:
http://themightyvrex.wordpress.com/my-life-with-aspergersa-short-post-to-test-my-blog/
That's an intersting read. I'll read the whole thing when I get home. Cheers!

Exerzet

Sep 6, 2010
I'm not lucky enough to have asbergers, but I do have ADD (of this I am pretty certain),or something very much like it. Some of my best friends have Asbergers, of varying degrees though.

Connor Lonske

Sep 30, 2008
No, I don't have the issue. I do have bipolar disorder, which is a completely different can of worms. But, whatever.

henkalv

Oct 31, 2011
Once I was helping a fellow with his homework and during the explenation he suddenly asked me if I was an autist. To this day I am still unsure if I should have been flattered by him implying that I know the math so well that I had to be solely focused on it or if I should be insulted by him implying that I have poor social antennas