Poll: How many people have actually read The Lord of the Rings?

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
I love it in small doses, but I usually skip all the elven songs that go on for several pages each (especially in Rivendell). They are awesome books, but he could have done with a good editor to reduce the unneccessary exposition and explanations.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Read it, didn't really like it.
I prefer series like Wheel of Time or A Song of Ice and Fire.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Oliman43 said:
Just an errant thought that crossed my mind, as I read it quite recently and I thought it was an epic that should be required reading for all.
fuck no!

I tried...oh lord I tried I got through the first and eather I THINK I finished the second...but not the third (see? I cant even remember)

and was it worth it?...no not really, it was tedious ,the story was good but it was written as if he wanted it to be as boring as possible

really the fantasy and world ect are great and all but to be honest the movies are enough for anyone....except for tom whats his name you dont miss much

Simili

Nov 17, 2009
I am currently reading them for the first time. At the moment we are standing around Orthanc smoking.
My Dad used to read me the Hobbit as a bedtime story though. And when I was a bit older I started reading it myself, so I've read that one several times.

AlexAndRed

Apr 15, 2011
Read it when I was six (first novel ever) and thought it was %#!@ing A. Now, though? Not so much. It's a one-time thing.

Turing

Dec 25, 2008
I read them every couple of years or so, although I suspect George RR Martin's "Song Of Ice And Fire" series is replacing Tolkien as my "re-read ever so often" book series.

Eleima

Keeper of the GWJ Holocron
Feb 21, 2010
The Hobbitt was required reading in my sixth grade English class, so once I was done with that, I got my hands on LotR and spent my summer reading and rereading them. After that came The Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales.
So yes, I have read LotR.

AlexAndRed

Apr 15, 2011
Turing said:
I read them every couple of years or so, although I suspect George RR Martin's "Song Of Ice And Fire" series is replacing Tolkien as my "re-read ever so often" book series.
Can vouch for that. ASoIaF is so much better than LotR it's not funny.

Koeryn

Mar 2, 2009
My sister made me read all of them before the movies came out. I enjoyed them.

Equations ofsepr

Lilitu

Feb 22, 2011
I read The Lord of the Rings after I have read a review about Final Fantasy VII. In that review Odin on his horse Sleipnir has been compared with the Nazgûl from LotR. Since I loved FFVII, I decided to read LotR (The Hobbit first and then LotR) but I think LotR is overrated. When I read it, I was quite bored... I liked The Hobbit better.

Turing

Dec 25, 2008
AlexAndRed said:
Turing said:
Can vouch for that. ASoIaF is so much better than LotR it's not funny.
Worst thing about LoTR is the god-damn songs!

Dingo John

Mar 26, 2011
Read it, and also read Children of Hurin, The Hobbit and Silmarillion.

Yes, the silmarillion was quite a pain in the ass to read through, and I got really lost in the ocean of characters' names (as they all had, like, 5 names in 5 different languages), but it really makes you think about the immense amount of work Tolkien put into this. It was his alternate universe, not just some crappy Sci-Fi world he invented for a single half-decent movie (hmpf, James Cameron's Avatar).

Yes, the descriptions get tedious, but they are necessary to make the reader understand the depth and scale of this world, Middle-earth. It is the most comprehensive fantasy-world ever created.

The Na'Vi can go take a hike, that shit can't be compared to Tolkien's lifework.

sb666

Fake Best
Apr 5, 2010
Country
Australia
i haven't read them but my local bookstore has them so i might buy them

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
Yeah, I read it when I was a kid, right after I read The Hobbit. I keep meaning to read The Silmarillion but never did.

EDIT: Can't spell this late at night.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
I had to study the Hobbit in about Year 8 or so and hated it- we had the option to read Lord of the Rings too and I decided not to, obviously.

Fast forward a few years and I saw The Fellowship of the Ring when it came out, and I just couldn't wait to find out if Gandalf was OK or not. I decided I'd do it properly and read the Hobbit again, and -then- the first LOTR. Loved The Hobbit second time around, and enjoyed Fellowship so much I ended up reading the rest of Lord of the Rings before The Two Towers came out in cinemas.

So... uh... yes. Yes I have.

Davey Woo

Jan 9, 2009
When I was much younger my Dad used to read it to me, I also read it myself a few months ago, was quite surprised at the similarites between the book and the film, and then also some of the bits that they left out for no apparent reason in he film.