Poll: How many people have actually read The Lord of the Rings?

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
Got through the first book, then decided I enjoyed not reading it so much more, so I stopped.

And like many, I far preferred the Hobbit.

Kathinka

Jan 17, 2010
read them before everyone knew about it from the movies. earned a few odd looks for what strange kind of crap i was reading. then suddenly it becomes the most popular thing on the planet second only to LSD-laces toothpaste. go figure..

Stammer

Apr 16, 2008
I started reading Fellowship, but found myself bored after the first chapter. I'm not much of a reader.

Rinky78

May 3, 2010
I have read LOTR many times, The Hobbit and The Silmarillion only once. Many people say that LOTR is really boring and dull and full of horribly long descriptions. Well, it was written in a very different time and tastes have changed. I've noticed many older classics feel very slow and dull to a modern reader, but when you give them a chance and 'slow down', they can be very rewarding. I've learned to enjoy the leisurely pace of older literature, but it's probably an acquired taste. To each his own.

DasUberCow

May 26, 2009
JDKJ said:
DasUberCow said:
Yeah, read it when i was 3. Was ok but Donaldson is way better.
You made a typographical error. Unless you are really trying to claim that you read a Tolkien book as a three-year old. Which, even if you were raised on the Hooked on Phonics and Your Baby Can Read tutorials, would still cause me to call "bullshit" on that claim.
Sorry, i was just following the trend. Obviously i was kidding, but i saw people earlier in the thread sincerely say they read it when they were 5 and 8.

But yeah. Hooked on Monkeyphonics was a big part of my childhood.

Belluavir

Mar 20, 2011
It took me nearly three years to get through them. I wasn't reading them the whole time of course, I'd put it off for months at a time, sometimes picking it up for a few paragraphs out of guilt and then putting it right back down again. There were a few chapters that I traversed in a day though, the ones I particularly remember were the chapters about the Mines of Moria, they were really compelling and the atmosphere really pulled me in (enhanced by the visuals of the film) and also the chapter(s) about Treebeard in The Two Towers, I found it oddly gripping.

Oh god but then... Lothlorien... Fucking Christ that seemed to go on for months, maybe because it took that long for me to read it... On and on and on AND I DON'T FUCKING CARE ANYMORE, especially not after such a huge climax in Moria. I remember seeing in school line graphs that visually represented a story's climax with a wave, but there's no wave there, it goes all the way up to the maximum, then there's a sheer drop down into the negatives.

TheKruzdawg

Apr 28, 2010
Read the trilogy a few times and The Hobbit many more times than that. The Hobbit is what I attribute as my entry into fantasy and what kept me there. I've tried on multiple occasions to read the Silmarillion but I have yet to finish. This is a combination of it being pretty dry and always having to read something else more school as soon as I start it.

KafkaOffTheBeach said:
Pretty good, but with far too much extraneous material that paradoxically gives the books quite a lot of their charm - like the sheer attention to detail and the songs...you couldn't take that out because, although you might gain some FUCKING PACING, you would lose that incredible sense of existence, of the real solidity and the sense of persistent history that the books have.
I struggled so very hard to get through the first chapters of Two Towers. The pacing when Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas are chasing the Orcs is awful and that is the only part of those books that I disliked in the slightest. He puts so much description into those chapters and it's just a back and forth about whether they should press on or take time to rest.

Caligulove

Sep 25, 2008
My mom read it to me when I 7 or 8ish.

Read the version she had in college with notes to gloss over some of the (from a Childs perspective) boring writing and I loved them! Was so excited after the Fellowship came out, which invigorated my love of the series again that I decided to read them myself. Already knew/remembered the whole story from the 3 books but wanted to have the experience of reading the whole thing- kind of a badge of honor, too.

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
Once as a child in my native language, didn't understand jack and did it for the bragging rights.
A few months ago I read it again in English and I enjoyed it. But I don't think I'll be revisiting it any time soon, I have a list of books that're waiting to be read.
I'm looking at you, 'A song of Ice and Fire'.

Sep 17, 2009
I read the Hobbit and tried to read the series, but Fellowship started so painfully slow that I put it down. I was too young.

I heard the Hobbit is the best book thought, anyone know if that is true?

RaffB

Jul 22, 2008
Read The Hobbit at school and it was torture...

Tried to read the other but only managed half of the first book before losing interest..
Something about the books just failed to grasp me and keep me reading.
Can't stand the movies either, although every other bit of exposure I have had to the Tolkienverse I have enjoyed, i.e. Games, Artwork and the general feel and design of the characters and world.

hypermage

Feb 13, 2010
Read LotR a couple of times; it's the sort of book/series you make time for every once in a while, like War and Peace and later James Joyce.

Read The Hobbit many times; it's short enough for a quick whip through when you've nothing else to read.

Read History of Middle Earth and Silmarillion once each; unless you're a Tolkien aficionado, you'd only ever read them once just to say you did.