Poll: How many people on here suffer from mental health issues?

Dirkie

Feb 3, 2009
CrystalViolet said:
Wow, 2/3 of respondents claim to currently suffer with mental health issues. I wonder is it just that this forum attracts people with these issues or is it that a lot of gamers have issues.
It's likely that people without issues won't reply as much as people who do have issues. It might skew the appearance a bit.

Rabbitboy

Apr 11, 2014
I have a mild case of autism spectrum disorder. I have always had difficulty talking to people and I have never been very sociable. Fortunately I have had help in the past 2 years and it is going much better now. Although the biggest problem has always been that whenever I am in a new environment, I always wait for people to make contact with me instead of taking the initiative myself. Which is a problem I still have today.

BEE-BOT

Nov 2, 2013
I fall onto the autism spectrum in a very mild way, I also have PTSD an anxiety disorder, clinical atypical depression and a couple other things >_> like hypo-mania and suicidal tendencies.

*edit: Not self diagnosed to be clear. Also there's more, but I fell I may have already over shared >_>

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
I've improved quite a bit but when I was at my worst I was professionally diagnosed with Depression, Social Phobia (more severe form of Social Anxiety Disorder), Panic Disorder, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder. At least, that's what was on my file which I think had been passed on to my parents for whatever reason once I became too old to see my pediatric psychologist.

I was also diagnosed with ADHD when I was very young and had been taking medication for it until recently since I started having the type of side effects that meant that you had to stop taking the medication. So I've just been using behavioural methods to try and deal with it. I still get distracted very easily but it's better than taking so many pills every day.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Nothing that I know about...but then I'm your stereotypical horrible male who doesn't go to the doctor until it's too late.

63.5% have said yes
36.5% have said no

I would have thought the numbers would be closer to 1 quarter saying yes.
Interesting results.

Note:
Given my anti-social behaviour: I can't be around groups of people even if it's family. Get about 8 or more people in a house and I'm very uncomfortable even when none of those people are in the same room as me. I wouldn't go to places like a movie theater, theme park, or even farmers market for the same reasons given the choice. I also have a strong sense of stress/fear/anxiety being in the presence of children whether they are speaking with me or not. I'm perfectly content spending all of my time alone and only leaving the house for essential errands.

It wouldn't surprise me if these things were signs of some kind of mental disorder but I've always just felt it's my personality and not actually a 'problem'.

Mezahmay

Dec 11, 2013
Moderate depression. Good days are pretty normal as far as I can tell, bad days feel like I'm full of sand. I tire easily, especially around others, don't handle stress well, ache, sleep poorly, and have some difficulty concentrating.
CrystalViolet said:
It seems like a lot of people admit to having mental health issues on this forum. It might just be that those who suffer are most vocal online because they can't really air their feelings in person.
I won't pretend to speak for others, but this is definitely the case for me.

BEE-BOT

Nov 2, 2013
Mezahmay said:
CrystalViolet said:
It seems like a lot of people admit to having mental health issues on this forum. It might just be that those who suffer are most vocal online because they can't really air their feelings in person.
Indeed.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
BEE-BOT said:
Mezahmay said:
CrystalViolet said:
Indeed.
Yes.
I don't want to worry my loved ones or deal with the stuff I get from certain older relatives. ("Have you tried not being a lesbian, that might help with your depression?")

I fall into the autism spectrum, but I don't consider that an issue, it's just a part of who I am.

My OCD though (which is probably intertwined with autistic tendencies to some extent) or anxiety or depression?
Those are issues and illnesses.

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
Chronic Depression over here. Comes and goes, I can go a long stretch feeling fine, then something happens to trigger it and my head is full of dark fog for weeks.
Recently started taking an antidepressant, not really sure if it's working yet though.

BEE-BOT

Nov 2, 2013
Shocksplicer said:
Chronic Depression over here. Comes and goes, I can go a long stretch feeling fine, then something happens to trigger it and my head is full of dark fog for weeks.
Recently started taking an antidepressant, not really sure if it's working yet though.
Good luck dude. Hope it works out.

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
BEE-BOT said:
Shocksplicer said:
Good luck dude. Hope it works out.
Thanks man. Same to everyone else in this thread. :)

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
PDD-NOS (pretty much autism, although I have some signs of asperger aswell). Depressed since atleast a year and I run around with a negative self-image which became more severe ever since I lost around 12 kilo's in weight.

There's another thing but it's something only a few people know about untill I'm more comfertable to talk about it.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
CrystalViolet said:
I'm one of them.

BEE-BOT

Nov 2, 2013
0takuMetalhead said:
PDD-NOS (pretty much autism, although I have some signs of asperger aswell). Depressed since atleast a year and I run around with a negative self-image which became more severe ever since I lost around 12 kilo's in weight.

There's another thing but it's something only a few people know about untill I'm more comfertable to talk about it.
I usually over share without realizing it >_>

Private Custard

Dec 30, 2007
I've been fighting depression for about 15 years now. It's odd. Some days I can be fine, then a day later I'm considering stepping out in front of a train. The smallest thing can throw me off completely. I tried anti-depressants (SSRI's and old-fashioned tricyclics), but all they did was make me fidget and belch. I didn't feel like myself.

Big problems don't hit me as hard, I seem to rise to the challenge. It's a culmination of small things that'll do me. It's hard to explain, but if I were to try, I'd say "I'd rather be punched hard in the face once, than be hit with a spoon all day, every day".

Worries about finding a job recently have led to severe anxiety issues too. I don't eat regularly, my stomach is knotted up with worry, and I can't even sleep due to a really weird feeling that spreads all the way down into my legs!

I'm on a short fuse at the moment.

MPerce

May 29, 2011
I had a pretty bad case of Sensory Processing Disorder when I was younger. It made raising me a living hell for my parents. I've mostly grown out of it now, though it's left me with a few idiosyncrasies (I have to eat some food in very particular ways, and long sleeved shirts drive me insane).

Also got a bit of the ol' depression, though therapy has helped me keep that under control for the last two years.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
Have, yes. Suffer? Not really. I may be clinically diagnosed with Asperges but I don't really see myself as suffering from it in any way.