Poll: How much money have you spent on DLC last generation ?

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
This just popped up in my head. How much money have you spent on dlc last generation.

Complete editions don't count. If you bough a game that came with the dlc , that doesn't count.
If you received dlc as a gift it doesn't count.

Other than that , everything from horse armor to dlc that feels like full expansions count.

Personally i'm against all forms of dlc, so i haven't personally bought any from my pocket. I did however get a microsoft points card as a gift so i downloaded the dark souls dlc, which i didn't get to play because my xbox360 red ringged right after.

leberkaese

May 16, 2014
I never buy DLC. Either I'll wait to buy the game until some sort of goty is released or I don't buy DLC at all.
Two exceptions: Bioshock Infinite Season Pass and Skyrim Legendary Edition. I make the last one count because I already owned the normal version of Skyrim which I bought directly after its release. Then I bought the Legendary Edition during a Steam sale because of the DLC.

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
$20.00, all up. I've only ever purchased two DLC's - Lair of the Shadow Broker for Mass Effect 2 and From Ashes for Mass Effect 3 and I felt dirty after both. The former was a huge rip-off for what you get and the latter is a good example of how DLC can be really scummy in practice.

So yeah, that's it. Not much of a DLC fan at all, to be honest. Unless it's an expansion pack, but I haven't seen one of those that has interested me in a very, very long time.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
$200-$300

At a guess. It's not as if I kept a tally.

Suffice to say, I've bought a fair bit of the the stuff. Mostly from Bioware games, but odds and ends elsewhere as well. Generally happy with my purchases. Oh, except for Dragon Age: Origins. The DLC for that game was ranged from average to crap.

I have zero problems with the practise of DLC. Even if you take the worst case, industry destroying, kitten kicking, doomsday scenario, a day-one, on-disc DLC that was deliberately subtracted from the game in order to squeeze out some extra bucks and significantly lessens the value of the whole by its absence, then, well... that's effectively just a price increase. And increasing the price of a product is not a crime against humanity.

The_Blue_Rider

Sep 4, 2009
I dunno, probably about $150 something dollars, add on another $150 or so if we include GOTY editions. I only recently got into digital purchases, and for a long period of last gen, buying games was a rarity so I only got about 2 new games a year if i was lucky

Lilikins

Jan 16, 2014
I never really buy DLC, my backlog on games is so large at the moment that if a game comes out I want? I usually just wait around till the goty or 'complete' editions come out and buy it then.

Only time Ill 'really' buy any DLC content is (for instance by steam) if its on sale and I have spare cash left that I dont really know what to do with. A good example of this would be the headhunter addon packs for Borderlans 2 when they went down from 3 euros to 85 cents or something.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Uh I bought some Mass Effect 2 DLC (I think it was the Kasumi one, LotSB and Overlord). I also bought The missing link for Dues Ex and Xcom: Enemy Within when it was on a steam sale. Dose it count if I bought the complete edition for the DLC while already having the base game because it was cheaper? in that case I got the complete edition of skyrim and DA:O also while heavily discounted.
I don't have a problem with most DLC but it tends to not be enough bang for buck and by the time I buy a game I'm usually buying the complete version.

Continuity

May 20, 2010
Its pretty rare that i'll go out of my way to buy DLC but then its pretty rare I finsh the main game never mind DLC. Generally, if its a game that I expect to be DLC heavy i'll just wait for a complete edition or similar, I did this with Skyrim and Fallout new vegas, no regrets.

Jul 31, 2013
0. My Xbox 360 has only 4 GB hard drive space (truly, I am the lowliest of all peasants BUT I do use an external hard drive) so downloading DLC was out of the question. My laptop isn't really up to date so I mostly play older releases, most of which can be bought in bundles with all the DLC (ex. Medieval II Total War+Kingdoms).

I did buy the Fallout: New Vegas Ultimate Edition (only 10 euro, couldn't let that pass) and the Dishonored GOTY edition but they don't really count in this thread.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
(At least) $300

I have absolutely zero problem with DLC (as you can see) and if I think that if an item is worth purchasing, I'm going to purchase it. Simple as that. For the most part, I buy these things in season pass form (See Call of Duty Map Packs) or when they drop to half off during one of Microsoft's sales (see Fallout DLC or Bioware games DLC).

I don't believe I've ever paid full price for DLC. It's either always been during a sale, a season pass (which gives you a discount on the DLC I was buying anyway), or GotY editions.

EDIT: Spike that number up. I forgot all about the Rock Band songs I've got. It's been a while but the last time I played Rock Band 2, I had more downloaded songs than I had normal songs on the game...

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
Buuuh... maybe £1-£20?

All I can think of is the Sleeping Dogs story DLC (not worth it, sadly) and the Cthulhu expansion for Magicka (which I thoroughly enjoyed).

I'm planning on getting the Dishonoured story DLC at some point and maybe the Bioshock Infinite DLC, too. I usually don't buy DLC simply because it doesn't seem worth the money to me. I'm yet to feel like a game I've bought is missing content, though.

I have a lot of DLC through GOTY editions and the like.

Michel Henzel

Just call me God
May 13, 2014
Zero

I'm a patient person, I would rather wait a year or so and buy a complete edition at 50/60 euro's

L. Declis

Apr 19, 2012
I've bought all the DLC for the Mass Effect trilogy (except weapon packs, because 'really?'). Twice. So that's about £100 or so.

I also upgraded Tropico 4 to have all the DLC as well.

I also bought the DLC for FFXIII-2, with Sazh.

Anything that Civilization releases is usually bought.

I think about £200, so $350 dollars?

I don't mind DLC. Good DLC is good, like a mini-expansion pack, and more of a game I love is good.

Bad DLC with weapon options for £4? No, fuck that.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Do expansion packs count as DLC?

If so, then I spent about £11 on Gods & Kings for Civ V and Brave New World. Also, £6.49 for Fall Of The Samurai for Shogun 2.

Oh, and I bought the Castle Crashers DLC for like, £0.89 a piece when the game was on sale two winters ago(along with the game).

That's it really, and that's only with expansions. As a general rule of thumb, I don't buy DLC unless its pre-packaged in a GOTY edition, or it adds a wealth of content to the game.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Only DLC I bought last gen was Mass Effect 2&3 DLC's and Dragon Age Origins.

So betwen 20-50 euro overall.

PS: I don't count expansions as DLC.

The_Scrivener

Nov 4, 2012
krazykidd said:
This just popped up in my head. How much money have you spent on dlc last generation.

Complete editions don't count. If you bough a game that came with the dlc , that doesn't count.
If you received dlc as a gift it doesn't count.

Other than that , everything from horse armor to dlc that feels like full expansions count.

Personally i'm against all forms of dlc, so i haven't personally bought any from my pocket. I did however get a microsoft points card as a gift so i downloaded the dark souls dlc, which i didn't get to play because my xbox360 red ringged right after.
Amen brother. Not a fan of DLC on principle. I understnad the "if you don't want it, don't buy it" thought process, but it's inevitable that a lot of games will purposefully have content chopped in order to sell more DLC.

So screw that. The industry needs to be kept in check and thus, I refuse to buy any of it.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
Not a single one.

In fact, I practically stopped buying games around the time steam came out.
At least those with online verification of any kind.

The recent indie boom greatly gladdens me, since they are much more likely to release without such draconic DRM.

Games are dead. Long live Games.

Chaos Isaac

Jun 27, 2013
Iunno, around 150 I guess. Most of it I enjoyed thoroughly, or at least made me giggle enough to not feel too bad about it. Although the top highlight would be Artorias of the Abyss, 'cause that shit was awesome.

Yeah, this includes Call of Duty maps, because sitting around and playing with friends on the couch for hours is awesome. And sometimes you just want more places to murder eachother at.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
No clue. Probably not much. It's easy to tell if a game is coming out with a complete package later on down the road, so I just wait for that and get it when it's cheap.