Poll: How much older is too old?

Euphbug

Mar 31, 2009
I had to sit back and think for a moment, and I came up with about 10-13 for a rough estimate on max age. I say rough because although I say that now, if I would meet someone older then that but completely worth every bit of age difference it really wouldn't matter. This is also why when I hear news stories about people married with huge age difference I just roll my eyes. They obviously got together for in their mind is a good reason, who I am to judge that.

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
As long as everyone is over 18, I'd say pretty much anything goes. I personally don't want to get with someone twice my age, but for those out there who do, I say go for it.

Nuke_em_05

Mar 30, 2009
To reverse the age rule; your upper limit is twice the difference between your age and 7. In equation form where X is your age; (X-7)*2.

But honestly, between consenting adults, I don't care. I think you might run into some difficulties in the 10+ gap range, and increasingly in the 20+ categories. People from different generations can get along, but they do see the world in slightly different ways. Obviously, it isn't a huge obstacle and many don't find it a problem.

Me, I married a woman one year older than me, so I don't need to make those decisions anymore personally. Having to start over, I'd still probably stay in the +/- 5 years range. That's just my preference, though.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
I personally haven't gone more than 3 years age difference. Not because I avoid it, simply because any other age hasn't come around, and typically she's the one who's older.

I'm fairly open, but my cut off point would be when there are obvious differences beyond age. For example: Differences in the cultural upbringings from different generations. Also no younger than 18.

EeveeElectro

Cats.
Aug 3, 2008
As long as it's legal, I have no problem with it.
While I might find it a bit odd, I know you can't pick who you fall in love with.
I know that more than anything. If we could control it, we'd all be so much happier.
You might assume "S/he's a gold digger" or "S/he's just a cradle snatching perv" but that's not always the case.

If you're an adult, you have every right to choose who you want to date. As long as you're not personally being hurt then I don't see why people have to try intervene and constantly ridicule the relationship.

My (old, I think they're moving this week) next door neighbours are a couple, she's 18 and he's 51.
He does so happen to own a few businesses and four cars, but when I've spoken to her she does seem to actually really like him. She might be in it for the money, or she might genuinely love him, I don't know. It's her choice either way. I think a lot of people who want to live comfortably financially, they'd do it too.

Aug 25, 2009
Personally I wouldn't date anyone 5 years older than me, and I doubt I'd go more than five years younger (at the moment that would make my significant other 18, and I think they'd be too immature at that age)

In other people? As long as it's legal I'll try and keep my thoughts to myself. I do think it would be a bit weird to be like 'when I was your age you weren't even born yet!' but that's just me.

TitanAura

Jun 30, 2011
Hmm.... that dude actually looks pretty suave if you know what I mean. I honestly don't doubt that he wooed her. Maybe I'm biased because my best friend in middle school had a mother and father with a significant age gap (mother was 25-30, father was 60-65) and they weren't particularly wealthy either. I hate seeing "she's a gold digger" comments whenever this situation comes up. Come on guys (or gals), some women just like older men. Deal with it.

Daniel Ferguson

Apr 3, 2010
I'm 26 and I'm really fond of a 20 year old. But she has wisdom and intelligence. For me it's a matter of matching on the important things. I don't feel right dating people more than 5 older or younger, because the generation gap starts getting noticeable and I don't like the noticeable gap hanging over the relationship. But I would date someone more than 5 either way if I felt they were what I want in a partner.

And I don't have problems with old people dating young people if they really want to. It's just not for me, though I might be willing to make exceptions.

Khrowley

Feb 4, 2012
So long as both partners are 18+ and the relationship is consensual then really what's the problem? Hell if age really was a restriction then Silver Age Flash, Green Lantern, Wildcat, Wonder Woman, etc. would have severly limited dating options. Also what's the age diff between Sue Storm and Reed Richards cause I think it's about a 10 year gap.

RustlessPotato

Aug 17, 2009
Depends. I have no problems with 50 + year olds with 25 + year olds. I suspect they're both consenting adults so I really don't have a problem. I do have problems with 15-16 year olds with 20-23 year olds. I saw a 14 year old with an 18 year old once and that i didn't really like.

lumenadducere

May 19, 2008
Tumedus said:
Its not so much the gap but the bracket. 12 and under is off limits. Then it gets divided into 13-15, 16-18, 19-21, then the brackets get a little more malleable but generally young, adult, middle aged, senior. In the well defined brackets it is generally a bad idea to date outside the bracket unless the gap is very very small. In the upper, less defined brackets, it is generally okay to date within one of the adjacent brackets.

Worth noting, I suppose, that the half +7 rule actually hits that pretty well.

Edit: These brackets are from a North American perspective. They are representative, not just of emotional and physical maturity, but of periods in a person's life. For example, a 22year old and a 19 year old may not be, from a maturity perspective, very far away from each other, but the inability to get into a bar on the part of the 19 yr old (in the US) can have a serious impact on a relationship.
I actually agree with brackets. I think brackets are what most should adhere to until their early 20s, at which point things get much more malleable. For me though it's because people still have a lot of growing to do when they're any younger (and in some cases still need to grow when they're older) so it's best to keep similar minds together. When you've finished college/university and have your own place and are used to actually being an adult then I think you can start branching out beyond your range.

For me this applies to pretty much everyone regardless of maturity level. Someone can be really mature for their age, but there's still a wealth of experience that they need to go through that someone older has already gone through, and without some of that experience I think the relationship just doesn't have enough of a foundation to be a lasting one.

Eleuthera

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of war!
Sep 11, 2008
I'm currently 34, I draw my imaginary line at 40, at the moment. Though it's never come up in any real life situation. In the other direction I try to stick to 25+

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
konor77 said:
A rule i heard is to have half your age plus seven as your minimum age and it seems like a pretty safe rule.
give this man a prize he just won the thread

Goofguy

Nov 25, 2010
konor77 said:
A rule i heard is to have half your age plus seven as your minimum age and it seems like a pretty safe rule.
I am well aware of this rule and it is quite relevant. However, I'm not asking about the acceptable difference in ages here. I'm asking what's the oldest you would look for in a partner.

konor77

Aug 26, 2009
Goofguy said:
konor77 said:
I am well aware of this rule and it is quite relevant. However, I'm not asking about the acceptable difference in ages here. I'm asking what's the oldest you would look for in a partner.
Well I'm eighteen so following the rule... twenty two that's four years difference

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
I have a crush on a celebrity crush on Brooke Nevin, she is 9 years and something months older then me. So her age gap?

Brotha Desmond

Jan 3, 2011
Personally, someone at my age and jaded nature isn't looking for a "relationship" per se. I occasionally pick up girls around my age for some fun because someone older would probably be looking for something more serious and I don't want something like that at this point.