Poll: How much older is too old?

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
The age/2 + 7 works, but I would prefer less than 15 years of difference.

But in the case of people under my age, the closer the gap the better. Mainly because of their immaturity, but also because of their parents and the issue of virginity. I don't want to go trough that spiel again.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
I think once both parties are over 18 or 20 that age isn't that important a factor. Sure, there might be maturity differences but once they're adults that's their business.
There're three years between my boyfriend and I (he's older) but I'd still be with him if he was older/younger.

afroebob

Oct 1, 2011
Bhaalspawn said:
Here in Canada, as long as you're over the age of consent (16) it's nobody's business what the age gap between a couple is.
Thats a lie and you f'kin know it.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Take the older one: Age / 2 + 7

If the younger one is older than that, you're good.

Ninja'd by konor77, oh well.

Adam Locking

Aug 10, 2012
I'm 22 and my gf is 32, and there've been no issues thus far. It's only when someone brings it to our attention we even acknowledge the gap anyway.

DoomyMcDoom

Jul 4, 2008
I personally think the whole agist bullshit is stupid, it doesn't matter as long as it's legal.
I've dated people my age and nearing my mom's age, it's hard to find people who I can have anything other than casual sex with, as most of the women I've met fall in to the "zero intellectual conversation" zone, where if you start to talk about anything more intellectually stimulating than that hike you took last week, or that night when someone got so drunk they did something stupid, her eyes go blank and she goes into nod and smile mode, and won't/can't contribute, and when ever she opens her mouth it's to talk about fasshion and or shopping... and yeah, I'm not talkin about teenagers, I'm talkin about the mid 20s crowd where I used to live... just moved accross the country, so I hope that it's just the vapid cultureof that city, and not like all of canada now.

To summarize, I'm 26, and 9/10 times every time I've found a woman who I can relate to, they've been upwards of 30,even when i was like 20-23 same thing, it's just that most of em passed me off as a kid because of age, it's always been this way, hell I only lost my virginity at 24, because I wasn't into fucking people I couldn't immagine being with for awhile.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
I think as you get older it matters less as long as everyone is a consenting adult, though at the moment I'd prefer someone at least within +/- 3 years.
Elect G-Max said:
Love is not a number.
Meanwhile age ain't nothing but.

The Heik

King of the Nael
Oct 12, 2008
Goofguy said:
Before delving in to the crux of this thread, I'll provide some quick background.

A Canadian senator's wife was detained recently for causing a disturbance and uttering threats on a flight. She has since been cleared of the charges and yet her and her husband are still making Canadian news. Why? Because she is 23 and he is 69 [http://www.thestarphoenix.com/7141596.bin]. Here's a link [http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/story/2012/08/28/sk-maygan-sensenberger-in-court-1208.html] if you are interested in reading more about it.

Far be it from me to judge the realities of their marriage, I'm more curious as to how many people would pursue a relationship with someone that much older than themselves.

So my fellow Escapists, how much older is too old for you when looking for a significant other? Do you even care about the age difference? For those of you already in committed relationships, pretend you are single for the sake of this discussion.

EDIT: The captcha ate the 7th poll option, it should say "I don't care about the age difference, only our compatibility".
I'm amazed no one else has linked this picture yet (at time of writing)

This considered to be the general "acceptable" limits of age, though really so long as you're not breaking any laws, it's all good in the eyes of love baby.....

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
Wolverine18 said:
The correct age difference is the one in which the two people in question get along well together and share common interests. Some people of the same age have nothing in common, some people 30 years appart have a lot in common. Depends on the people.

O maestre said:
konor77 said:
A rule i heard is to have half your age plus seven as your minimum age and it seems like a pretty safe rule.
give this man a prize he just won the thread
I don't think repeating a childhood meme is much of a win.
and thats the reason you are dismissing it? lol, of course everything is circumstantial. but generally that "meme" can be applied. you cant get pedantic about everything especially with something that each person has a different opinion on.

so "generally" speaking something like the seven years rule is safe and "generally" accepted thing to go by..... you understand?

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Wolverine18 said:
omega 616 said:
If you are a guy of that age having a partner of that age, you must know that she is a gold digger. She can't be looking at him thinking "he is so attractive", not saying looks are everything but there has to be a physical attraction.
What a load of crap. When you marry your 19 year old girlfriend at 19 do you still think looks will be what matters at 70? When two 70 year olds get together, you think looks is the main factor?

Not every 23 year old is a shallow and short sighted mindless person. Some actually have developed minds and personalities and thus can do more than follow their hormones. While you can't really have sex with people that repulse you and enjoy it, they don't all have to be 10s for you to enjoy it. I find if I like someone, I like having sex with them.
Why was that person interested in the other person that they married at 19? One thought the other was attractive? Yes, that's right! The reason people "get together" is they see the other and think "there attractive" (it might not be attractive but it is a synonym of attractive).

I assume they then talk, bond, start a relationship, bond some more, get married etc. It all starts with first seeing the other person and thinking that the other is attractive, unless of course you are thinking of arranged marriages, then fair enough!

I would assume throughout the relationship you don't notice the other person change, as change is very slow. I also think if you first saw that person as attractive, there wont be a day you wake up, turn to look at your partner and think "fuck me, your ugly!" ... unless your relationship was a 1 night stand and beers goggles were on the previous night.

I would say just about every 23 year old is a short sighted mindless person, to be honest. Hell, I would class a lot of adults that very thing as well ... why do you think pay day loans are so popular? How many people create a 5 year plan, then stick to it? ... Actually how many people make a new years resolution and stick to it? (ok that might be more about discipline but giving up smoking/drinking at the drop of hat is a short sighted goal).

Do you think a smart (like straight A*s) girl, with an energetic and bubbly personality would date an old guy of 69? Keeping in mind that the 23 year old probably likes to party, hang out with people who have a similar taste in music and films etc and the old guys idea of a good time is sitting in a comfy chair, either reading or watching the box and his fav films aren't in colour.

I doubt the old guy is into dubstep/trance/dance or the latest twilight flick.

There is a generation gap and the two would be into really different things, do you think Hugh Hefner is the sexiest man alive and all those playboy models are the smartest and most interesting people on the planet OR is Hugh fine with all the women around him being gold diggers and all the women are shallow gold diggers who are willing to do the dirty so they can be dirty rich when he pops his clogs?

It's like strip clubs, are the men taking advantage of hard on there luck girls, whos last resort is getting naked for cash OR are the women taking advantage of the men who will throw money at (semi) naked women?

Captcha: steam punk ... I must be the only person who doesn't like steam punk but I get the captcha, go figure.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
So long as both parties are getting what they want out of a sexual relationship, I'd say the cutoff is and should be legal adulthood. The fantasy of lifelong loving romantic relationships is usually just that- a fantasy... so there's no reason to assume any monogamous sexual relationship is going to survive a year, much less 5, 10 or a lifetime. Have fun with it people. If you're safe about it, sex isn't as serious as our societies would have us believe.

JokerboyJordan

Sep 6, 2009
Wolverine18 said:
My wife is 27 years younger than me.
Wolverine18 said:
My wife is quite a bit older than me as well.
Make up your mind man.

Also, another common cause of marriage breakdowns is lack of attraction (and/or subsequent cheating).

Stereotypes have a base in truth, I don'y see many elderly folk listening to dubstep for example, or going out clubbing. If the younger person's lifestyle suits that of the elder, than obviously they are compatible in that sense, but you can't deny there are some things they wouldn't be likely to do.

I won't even bother to get into the race thing, I can see Godwin's Law looming on the horizon.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
It's only because he's a senator that this is sticking to our news like glue...

Anyway, the half your age plus 7 rule works for me. :)

Basement Cat

Keeping the Peace is Relaxing
Jul 26, 2012
The problem as far as this poll goes is that I'm already old enough to not want to reveal just how old I am on a site dominated by people in their teens and twenties.

I'm looking for a lady who is YOUNGER than me so we could start a family. Hooking up with one that's older than me completely negates any real chance of starting a family without sweating bullets over whether the kids might be tested positive for some kind of defect because my wife is past her prime childbearing years.

Marrying someone older than me is out of the question unless it's love at first sight.

Which I do believe in, thank you all very much.