Poll: How Often/When Do You Roleplay?

MrMixelPixel

Jul 7, 2010
I role play with a group of friends via the internet every weekend. It's kinda like an epic story that I'm very proud of... ^^'

I also do it in games. I simply pick one of the characters in my head... And then try to make the character in the game best fit them. It makes it all the more fun.

Also, I play Table Top games as well. Just not as often as I'd like.

I'm probably going to forget who I am with all the rping I do... xD

Kasawd

Jun 1, 2009
Mostly on WoW, anymore.

My two main Roleplaying characters are a grizzled, psychotic(Yes, psychotic, not psychopatic. He experiences episodes of mass delusion and violent reaction) Troll Merc. Or, my split personality ex-Si operative who makes a living by selling off information to anyone willing to pay.

I don't know why but I like to incorprate traumatic events into a backstory to justify mental illness.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
I really don't try that much to roleplay.

My few times I've tried table top games ended in us just faffing around and not messing with the story. Most games I play the story and charaters usually are written for you, and if I'm given decisions I just go all evil or all good.

WaywardHaymaker

Aug 21, 2009
Roleplaying just makes games that much better. It's just fun to get invested into the story, world, and characters.

And occasionally it's just fun in and of itself. Like one time I encompassed every single main questline in Oblivion into a single RP. I forget exactly how it worked exactly, but I'm pretty sure it was outlandishly stupid and awesome for that fact alone.

GreyWolf257

Oct 1, 2009
At least once every 2-3 days. I play a lot of D&D, you see, and I am the DM. In short, it's my job to role play.

RastaBadger

Jun 5, 2010
Usually I start playing and after about half an hour I have an idea of the character I want to play and play that character till the end of the game. On some occasions I will create back stories although not that often as many games provide a bit of one for you. I'd love to play d'n'd but alas those few people I would describe as friends are far more into weird stuff like going outside.

Raijha

Aug 23, 2010
We play 4e in a custom world of my own every other weekend. Lost a couple chars so far, but I always put a lot of work into the back story and personality of all my chars.

the protaginist

Jul 4, 2008
RamboStrategy said:
Roleplaying just makes games that much better. It's just fun to get invested into the story, world, and characters.

And occasionally it's just fun in and of itself. Like one time I encompassed every single main questline in Oblivion into a single RP. I forget exactly how it worked exactly, but I'm pretty sure it was outlandishly stupid and awesome for that fact alone.

I've tried to do that before. well actually it just sort of happened, but that's the fun of Role-playing! I made a character who was trained in heavy armor and blades who after stopping Blackwood couldn't find work and became a drunk, eventually becoming so low on money he started stealing foood and whatnot(I was trying a play through where you must eat 3 square meals and sleep every day, also no fast traveling. that last bit was hard to keep up during the whole run.) and eventually got got by the gaurds, being sent to the prison and joining the thieves guild. Joining the Dark Brotherhood happened after someone woke up in a house i was robbing. Playing the character as realistically as possible, i panicked and struck him down.

I feel like kind of a loser for posting on my own thread so often, but I really like talking about this sort of thing.

gamer_parent

Jul 7, 2010
the protaginist said:
RamboStrategy said:

I've tried to do that before. well actually it just sort of happened, but that's the fun of Role-playing! I made a character who was trained in heavy armor and blades who after stopping Blackwood couldn't find work and became a drunk, eventually becoming so low on money he started stealing foood and whatnot(I was trying a play through where you must eat 3 square meals and sleep every day, also no fast traveling. that last bit was hard to keep up during the whole run.) and eventually got got by the gaurds, being sent to the prison and joining the thieves guild. Joining the Dark Brotherhood happened after someone woke up in a house i was robbing. Playing the character as realistically as possible, i panicked and struck him down.

I feel like kind of a loser for posting on my own thread so often, but I really like talking about this sort of thing.
there's a blog somewhere of someone who basically does just this, all the time. They can't play a game without doing stuff like this. Almost always, they never actually play out the game the way it's meant to be played.

here it is [http://www.roburky.co.uk/]

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
It took me a while to get into it but as for videogames I usually get quite invested in the characters and if it is a custom character (such as Mass Effect) I go through choosing the things I would do.

But I do a heck of a lot online with my girlfriend now. In fact, that's how we met. Final Fantasy RP on a forum. Our RP log would span multiple novels.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
T0RD said:
I generally like to Roleplay in MMO's where there are there are other characters involved.
Other games I roleplay might be some RPGs and some RTSs depending on how immersive they are. Though in the case of RTS it's not really RP, it's more like super-immersion. "Advance (insert faction of Total War game)!" But I digress...
OT: I use ridiculous amounts of time on creating my character if the character creation system is good enough. (I.e Dragon Age)
I really throw myself into the goals of my RTS faction---whether it's a Paradox game (the royal house of some chunk of Russia starting in 1066 in Crusader Kings and ending up with a swath of red in Hearts of Iron 2 900 years later) or a Total War game (again, usually Russia).

It's funny how I gravitate to Russia in any game I play, now that I think of it. I think it's an excuse for me to talking in funny Soviet accent for make glorious benefit pixel mother Russia!