Poll: How seriously do you take what Yahtzee says?

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
It's not what he says, it's what he doesn't say. What he insults and what he doesn't tells me if I will like the game or not.

TheKingOfBears

Dec 19, 2011
I watch his reviews mostly for entertainment, but one you get past the all the jokes and sarcasm he does make some good points. It's never really affected me buying or not buying a game though.

Ix Rebound

Jan 10, 2012
whenever i play a game that i like and then i watch a Yahtzee review of it, he always points out something i don't notice and then whenever i play that game its always in the back of my head.

Taunting me...
Curse you Yahtzee!!

Skin

Dec 28, 2011
I disagree with him on many things. For example, his wish for shooters to go back to the old school formula is something I disagree with. But he is a product of his time and I can't blame him for that.

He is very, very entertaining, and that is all that matters.

Kotaro

Desdinova's Successor
Feb 3, 2009
I don't. He's more an entertainer than a real critic.
Plus, he's said himself that you should form your own opinions rather than just listening to his.

Rheinmetall

May 13, 2011
I agree with him on many topics, and in particular we share the same hatred for modern shooters. I was rather disappointed from him when not only he ommited Dark Souls from his top 5 2011 games list, but he actually totally dismissed it with a vulgar comment that he made.
To your question, no he doesn't affect me whether I will buy a game, or not, because I never listen to critics before buying a game, I buy games based only on my own judgement and experience, and perhaps instinct. I listen to him and the other reviewers after I finish a game, just out of curiocity to see how my opinion matches with the critics.

Onegigapwn

Jan 7, 2012
I don't take him seriously. But I've facepalmed at some of the things I've seen regarding you guys.

Before "review":
"I think the developers thought of a few nice mechanics."
After "review" with the SAME users:
"bland and generic garbage"

Me: faith in humanity -1

Talshere

Jan 27, 2010
Quite seriously. He over exaggerates the bad points so you have to read between the lines but he never lies about a problem, just brings them to light.

nameless023

Fancy Forum Title Goes Here
Nov 11, 2011
I listen to what he says, and I keep it in mind for a while. But when it comes to actually buying games it comes down to either A-If I actually know/like/want the game or B-If I've heard many things about the game from many different sources.

For example, I'd like to buy Bioshock 1 and 2 regardless of what Yahtzee said of those games because I'm truly interested in them (could be the whole steampunk-ish theme, idk); but I'd never play a shooter game like Call of Duty/Battlefield/Halo/Gears of War because of all the terrible things he repeats over and over about them (also, because I suck at FPS games).

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
I don't think "Take seriously" is the right term.

Experience has taught me that we have a very similar critical spectrum so I usually really like the games he reviews positively.

But even if he hated everything I love I'd still take what he says seriously. It takes a special (by which I mean "special") kind of person to think someone doesn't merit consideration just because they disagree with you. Yahtzee thrashed one of my favorite games (Mirror's Edge) but what makes his such a good voice of reason is that all his complaints are legitimate (Or at least if they're not he admits it)

As far as him influencing my purchasing decisions it only happens positively (I bought Driver: San Fransisco and I'm going to get Rayman). But when ever it's a game I'm considering getting and he does review it, it's never a bad enough review to turn me off. I look forward to seeing what he has to say about Mass Effect 3 (or at least I would if I hadn't already preordered it)

SarcasmoPope

Dec 22, 2010
If saying someone's opinion is wrong is insecure, does accepting my insecurity give me freedom to criticize what I want? An opinion can still be wrong. The shittiest game in the world from a technical standpoint will still have at least 1 fan. It's still a bad game. A game that is poorly balanced, laggy, glitchy, linear rehashes of the previous release is still bad if people like it.

OT just because he critiques games in a comedic fashion does not mean legitimate issues aren't being discussed in his videos. I take him seriously, though I am a little more accepting of a brown linear FPS.

Shadu

Nov 10, 2010
I pretty much watch him for the entertainment value. I don't take him all that seriously. I mean, even if I agree on a point (and often, he does have good points), I don't usually agree with how awful something is. Part of this, I'm sure, is because he's exagerating for effect. And that's why I watch him. But I always take everything his says with a heaping spoonful of salt because it's been my experience that it's not usually as bad as he says.

AD-Stu

Oct 13, 2011
I think beyond the jokes he makes a lot of valid points - obviously he highlights negatives, but that's his job as a critic.

That said, 90% of the stuff he reviews is games I was never going to buy in the first place (not owning a console or being particularly interested in FPS / survival horror games) so for the most part I'm watching for entertainment value rather than to be informed as a consumer.