Poll: How seriously do you take what Yahtzee says?

Saltychipmunk

Jan 17, 2012
Country
USA
Well when it comes to reviews we either have Yahtzee who points out faults in games for comic effect and guys like him.

And we have the paid review websites who are funded by the advertising they get from the games they review.

Ive never seen so many horribly inaccurate review scores. uncharted 3 a 10? really? skyward sword a 10 ? lol?

oh i love the 6 out of 5 scores too , yeah that made sense.

you know i have another theory for why piracy is so damn prevalent. I think that because main stream reviewers are so susceptible to fanboys and publishers that reviews are so inaccurate that we have to resort to piracy just to make sure the 10 out of 10 game we are interested in is really worth the 60 $%#%^ dollars.

So back to the question at hand, I don't know which is less trust worthy, yahtzee who is purposefully reviewing the negatives or the people who are paid to ignore the negatives.

bah they only good reviewers are on you tube anyway....

Otaku World Order

Nov 24, 2011
FireAza said:
I take Yhatzee's reviews with massive, heaping piles of salt. I understand that first and foremost, they're entertainment, and a review second. He's obviously realised at this point that nobody likes him when he's being nice to a game, so his reviews and up being excessively critical. He also tends to exaggerate for comedic effect, but this ends up making a game look worse than it actually is. For example, in his Alice: Madness Returns video, he described the cutscenes as a guy holding concept art up to a camera, implying they look cheap, rushed and without any animation. While in reality, the cutscenes look like puppetry, there's animation all 'round and certainly wouldn't have been cheap or simple to produce.

Though obviously, if he's hinted that he might actually like the game, it must be damned good.
I actually thought the cutscenes in Alice: Madness Returns were more like storybook illustratons, but I like your description better.

As for Yahtzee, I see him as the counterpoint to a lot of the praise-gushers out there who hand out 10/10 scores like candy.

I don't agree with him that much, but he's still funny and provides a sobering slap in the face every now and then.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Schtick. Look it up, its a real word and describes Yahtzee's ZP to a t. BTW, Yahtzee is a character, an act, like the Jimquisition, designed to attract a fanbase and sometimes deliver an opinion... although Jim has more of a message behind his humor.

bossfight1

Apr 23, 2009
I avoid a game that he says is downright horrible, like Mindjack. But in his Mailbox Showdown he said:

" It's worth remembering that all reviews are subjective personal opinions, and if you personally enjoy the game then they shouldn't really get to you. Unless of course there's a despicable little niggling doubt in the back of your mind, that maybe you're not having as much fun as you've convinced yourself you're having, which doesn't go away no matter how many times you try to slap it down with the wet flannel of weak excuses."

Emperor Nat

Jun 15, 2011
I think he often has legitimate complaints about the games, but I understand that his show is one dedicated to ranting and comedy rather than straight-faced critique and therefore take it as such.

An example is the fable series, games which he really didn't like. But I actually bought the first game specifically because of his review, just because it sounded like fun.

Rangerboy87

Jul 1, 2011
I've answered this before on a different forum, but I'll say it again. I do take Yahtzee's opinion seriously. He and I have similar opinions on games, so I find it useful. We are bother loners who prefer SP to MP and MMO's any day. A good story and good gameplay make for the best games.

But I don't rely on him solely for my only opinion. He is usually just my starter. If he rips a game apart, I know not to bother with it. If he is ok with a game, I usually start looking at other reviews to get a more in depth critique of the game to see if it's something I would be interested in.

So, Yahtzee is a good start off point. And like I said, he and I agree most of the time, especially with games he hates. Also, he is quite hilarious to listen to. All the more reason to watch.

ChildishLegacy

Apr 16, 2010
His videos are funny and take the piss out of a games bad points, I didn't realize people actually took his videos as serious reviews. No wonder everybody on this site hates on a game the moment it's genre is "fps" or "mmo".

Captain Booyah

Apr 19, 2010
I take him semi-seriously. The snarky reviews are more for entertainment than anything else, so I take them with a pinch of salt, but he can raise some valid criticism and make some good points. If I already want to buy a game, though, then his judgement of it certainly doesn't affect my decision.

theevilgenius60

Jun 28, 2011
I take Yahtzee's weekly spiel as the comedy it is. His negative reporting on a game I live is never going to change my mind as it is an opinion on entertainment and that can and does change dramatically depending on the giver of the opinion. Having said that, he sometimes opens my eyes to games I skipped if he liked them. Driver: San Francisco is a good example. I usually give driving games a pass as I'm just not into them, but after he glowed on about D:SF I gave it a try, and had a blast. He's not the be all, end all kingmaker/killer of games for me, but I do take his views into account because he strives to hold games to a higher standard, and that is what's needed in a review.

WaderiAAA

Derp Master
Aug 11, 2009
Depends a lot on how much he likes the genre of the game. If it is a type of game he doesn't like to begin with I know I'll disagree with him. If not, then I'll usually agree with most or all his points, but be less forgiving of the game's flaws. I like that he admits when he has no interest whatsoever in a genre.

BanthaFodder

Jan 17, 2011
I watch his stuff, but it's pretty obvious he exaggerates for comedic effect.
I'm totally cool with that, Yahtzee's hilarious.
I would say I'm suprised ANYONE would take him seriously and judge games based on what he says.... but yeah, I'm not that suprised really...

Goody

Jan 2, 2011
If he insults something I like then it's no big deal he hates most things, but if he likes it, I will try it most of the time, provided I haven't already and it has at least some appeal to me.

silversnake4133

Mar 14, 2010
Personally I watch Mr. Croshaw's videos for the same reason that I watch the Angry Video Game Nerd, for entertainment. After all, his videos are of a satirical quality and weren't really meant to be taken seriously. If I want to know whether or not to buy a game I usually consult IGN, Gamespot, the Yogscast, or TotalBiscuit aka the Cynical Brit. But in the end it's up to my judgment on whether or not I'll get my money's worth.

Sneaky Paladin

Jan 21, 2009
Well after buying Monster Hunter Tri and learning everything he said in that video at least were blatant lies, like the 10 hours to get good thing, I take everything he says with a grain of salt. Unless he likes it, I will pay attention if HE says he likes it, he tends to like things I like and hate things I like so meh.

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
Sometimes I agree with him, sometimes I do not. But it never really affects my purchases on games.

CulixCupric

Oct 20, 2011
I take it as comedic criticism as he is a critic, but he seems to be spot on on most games, and even the one's I enjoy that he's bashed, I'll still end up agreeing with him.