Poll: How seriously do you take what Yahtzee says?

Aprilgold

Apr 1, 2011
erttheking said:
trollpwner said:
Cue a billion people going "WAAA WAAA!!! WHY IS THIS PERSON THINKING DIFFERENT THINGS TO ME?!?!?! THEY'RE WRONG!!! EVERYONE STOP LISTENING TO THEM!!!".

I just don't see why people spit fire whenever someone spouts a different opinion. It's an opinion. It is inside another person's head. It doesn't affect you. Completely bewilders me.
I think people see a difference between someone not enjoying what they like and outright attacking it, I think they see that as their tastes being insulted.
Isn't Consumerism a name for what you just said.

Anyways, because hes both funny and a critic, I mean its like mixing chocolate and peanuts.

I usually agree with what he says mainly because I think on the same way. I don't exactly enjoy Deadspace for the same reasons he didn't. And mainly can't find myself playing a Mario game without asking why the peach hasn't bought a gun and shot bowser yet.

I take him as serious as I take other critics but at least he isn't past admitting that he made a mistake or his biases.

malkavianmadman said:
When he praises a game for whatever reason I will generally think alot more about buying it. Thats not because yatzhee has said so but because usually he just points out the bad points so if a game is good enough for him to point out something he really enjoyed then yeah ill look into it. I definitly think he has a better way of doing his reviews then most. Alot of game reviews i have read seem to only really go on about the good stuff while skipping over the bad.
And this, this is always another reason.

Cid SilverWing said:
He's -usually- correct. He fucked up on Assassin's Creed, Metal Gear Solid 4 and EVE Online though.
To his credit, Eve online is a pay to play game with the main mechanic being based around making a buisness and running it. I mean thats like being forced to pay to work at a place.

James Ennever

Jul 11, 2011
I take his opinion highly into any gaming purchace as he is the on man who I beleive is almost on par for Douglas Adams (RIP).

I want him to write the next hitchhiker guide to the galaxy book.

Put it this way, if a preist who had played every game ever wanted to make a recomendation, I would tell him to sod off as I am waiting for the bringer triple C&*ted hooker

Pebkio

The Purple Mage
Nov 9, 2009
I care not for his opinion... except when it's funny. Then I care about it being funny. I listen to his technical listing of how a game plays. Take Valkyria Chronicles as an example: From his description it's everything I would enjoy from a PC JRPG... but he didn't much like a lot of the mixing of turn-based and FPS.

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
He makes good points here and there, and he makes bad points here and there. Pretty much like every other internet reviewer out there.

As for taking him "seriously"? Very rarely so. I just watch ZP for the foul mouthed, no bars held entertainment value that occasionally either "praises" a game I enjoyed, have been looking at, or rips it a new one in ways I hadn't considered yet - or completely hate him for, either or.

monkey_man

Jul 5, 2009
It's not really meant as a serious show in my opinion, He's doing it for the laughs.
But beneath the laughs is a small core of truth, and I sometimes notice something earlier about a bad game. But I do not NOT buy games just because he says they are bad. It's just like, his opinion man.

Hugga_Bear

May 13, 2010
I listen to what he says and consider it but most of it's hyperbole. Still, there tends to be truth underneath it so it's worth paying attention. He's been spot on a few times and sometimes he's been ridiculously overstating the problem but in general he hits a kind of middle and exaggerates issues whilst ensuring that there is an actual issue there and not taking it so far that it's silly.

So yeah I pay some attention to what he says but don't take it as word of god by any means.

Fronken

May 10, 2008
I find that most of the points he brings out are valid, no matter what my own opinion of the games are, so i enjoy watching his videos and reflect about my own experiences, although i dont form an opinion about a game from watching his videos, i still enjoy them very much.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
Oh hey, this thread, again.
Jesus people.

OT - Yeah, it's an entertainment show rather than a review show. Reviews are more or less pointless anyway as opinion is so subjective.

Titan Buttons

Apr 13, 2011
Well after I've actually listened to what he had to say and I've ignored all his jokes or when he's just taking the piss out of something because he can what he says about games is serious but I don't always agree with him.

Jake0fTrades

Jun 5, 2008
Maybe if I played half of the games he reviews, I might be more concerned with his opinions. For now, it's just damned funny.

violent_quiche

May 12, 2011
Primarily for humour but he still makes worthy points. Occasionally gets his facts wrong (eg all of the Arkham City Riddler trophies are technically accessible post game) but nothing I'd call crucial. Considering that he has to produce one video a week, generally new release, it's not like he gets the chance to explore every corner anyway. He seems occasionally hamstrung by having to squeeze vinegar on everything but for the most part his critique comes from a sincere place and is generally well considered, even if I don't always agree.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Probably about half the time. E.g. I did agreed with him in his Skyward Sword review and I disagree with this Monster Hunter Tri review (well he was right with the flaws but I still enjoy the game).

Matt King

Mar 15, 2010
everything (pretty much) that he says is true, he just takes it's importance too far and he very rarely talks about the good points, but he does make many valid points

bificommander

Apr 19, 2010
I use his opinions as vague guidelines. I personally think he lets himself off a little too much with his view that reviews are always subjective. True, reviewing how good a game is isn't as exact a science as measuring a length. But I feel there ought to be some thought given to what a game is trying to be and how well it does that. I see Yahtzee more as a comedian and an opinionator so to speak. His Extra Punctuation columns are actually more suited to his style 'reviewing' than his video reviews. Those videos are extremely entertaining, no question there. But they have very little to do with what I expect in a review, which is at least an attempt to discuss the quality of a game compared with what that game markets itself to be.

His decision to name BF 3 and MW 3 as his worst games are a pretty good example. I can understand this decision from the perspective of a gaming columnist who dislikes the messages these games have, or the overexposure of this particular genre, or the lack of originality in its gameplay. There are valid reasons why Yahtzee could dislike these games the most. But them being bad at what they set out to do isn't one of them, nor for the inability for people to have fun with them, which I feel is something a review should adress.

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
I take him seriously (except when he's making a joke, obviously).
I don't rely on what he says to decide what I want to buy or anything, but I think he makes valid points that are worth considering. I don't have to always (or even usually) agree with someone to consider what they say seriously or think that their opinions have merit.

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
I don't really take what he says as advice. I take it all with a grain of salt understandably, that all of what he says is played up for audiences.