Poll: How tall are you?

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
PaulH said:
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
Next question is, how many of the people who answered lied about their heights? Most people do, whether intentional or not.

I'm 6', but my back isn't entirely straight anymore due to years of bad posturing + scoliosis so really I'm about 5'9-ish give or take. Yes you can lose 3 inches from posture issues. But my DL says 6' so thats what I answered, after all I'm not about to dispute a legal document.
You can also lose and inch or two by dehydration also, supposedly. Because the disks in your back absorb water or something, and with limited water, limited disk size. For obvious reasons this is not a recommended course of action for people wanting to be taller or shorter by cutting, or drastically increasing, their body's water content.
Yes, yes don't dehydrate/over-hydrate yourself to get taller/shorter. Bad idea. Reminds me of that chick that died because a radio station stupidly was holding a "hold your wee for a Wii" contest. Stupid.
At some point, in the future, there'll probably be ways for people who aren't happy with their height to get some form of cosmetic surgery to make them taller/shorter... But personally, unless your height is truly a handicap and interferes with your daily life, one should be happy with oneself.

Dec 10, 2012
You can really see the bell curve on that poll...in fact, it's a rather exaggerated curve. Assuming everyone here was honest ;)

I am a centimeter over 6 feet, so I usually call myself 6'1" in shoes. My (male) boss at my last job was about 5'3". It was a little odd bending my neck down to talk to my superior.

AgedGrunt

Dec 7, 2011
1.7653 x 10^15 femtometers, roughly.

Also 6' to 6'6", seems too wide of a range. 6'-6'3" is more mainstream tall, anything over that is another league. Here's to everyone born in a time before parents genetically decide how tall the world will be.

Tilly

Mar 8, 2015
Eleuthera said:
I'm about 5'9" some 4" below average for a Dutch male.
What? The average Dutch male is 6'1"?? Can you point me to data on that. Find that very hard to believe.

Michel Henzel

Just call me God
May 13, 2014
Tilly said:
Eleuthera said:
I'm about 5'9" some 4" below average for a Dutch male.
What? The average Dutch male is 6'1"?? Can you point me to data on that. Find that very hard to believe.
http://www.cbs.nl/nl-NL/menu/themas/gezondheid-welzijn/publicaties/artikelen/archief/2012/2012-3746-wm.htm
These are the numbers of our bureau of statistics. It's in Dutch though, but the graph shows that the average height of a Dutch male is 1.81m in 2011 (between 5'9" and 6'0"). Could not find more recent official data, but it might be slightly higher now.

I myself am 1.80m in length, and I'm the shortest of my 3 younger brothers.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
Parasitic_Chick said:
Tall enough that my feet touch the ground.
That's a beauty. Reminds me of a joke on Dexter's Lab when Dexter asks his sister why a certain animal's legs are so long: "So their feet can reach the ground."

I'm 6'1" and still growing a little bit at age 30. It'll be interesting to see where I end up. Some members of my family are 6'7", and I'd hate to be that tall: I hit my head enough at my current height.

I'm glad how over time average height has increased for most areas on the planet; although island dwellers still tend to be a bit short, statistically speaking.

RyoScar

May 30, 2009
I'm 6'1" which I thought was average until I started working, then I felt really tall :O

Dirkie

Feb 3, 2009
I'm 1,88m in old world units, that translates to about 6 feet, 2 inch and a little bit.
Somehow I don't consider myself to be large, but in my work/friend/family environment it looks like i'm one of the biggest people (except for my boss, who is about 6 feet 4/1,95m).

Being dutch seems to help elevating things.

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
About 2/5s.

Or something closer to 5'6"

I feel short, thought most of the time it's because nearly all of my friends are tall.

Oct 2, 2012
I'm about 6'5" (198cm according to a converter).

Wow, lotta short people 'round these parts.
Don't worry, when the sky falls we will be the ones to give our lives to keep you safe for further evolution.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
202cm or 6'8".

Not too bad in the Netherlands, where doorways and beds are build for actual people.

Quite annoying abroad at times, where doorways and beds are build for hobbits.

L. Declis

Apr 19, 2012
5' 9". You'd think in China I'd do well, but a lot of these newer generations are now easily breaking 6' over here, so I feel short again.

Hell, I had a girl guess I was from Britain. I asked her how, and she said "Oh, you know, Americans are really tall and rougher, but Europeans are smaller and more delicate".

Talk about a back-handed compliment.

SuperSuperSuperGuy

Jun 19, 2010
I'm about 5'10". I'm actually really self-conscious about it; my dad is really tall, and I always wanted to be his height.

Now, on the other hand, I can never seem to find pants in my size. I seem to be unusually slim for my height. My preference for jeans that fit loosely around the legs doesn't really help, either; most companies appear to assume that preferring loose-fitting jeans means that I'm somehow fat or something.

GreyDevil

Jul 4, 2009
At 22 I'm a healthy 6ft 2in or 1.88m tall :) which was fairly tall but not monstrous. I was probably the 6th or 7th tallest oke in final year of high school. It's probably the tiny bit of dutch blood in me as I am a white South African and I am descended from a wide spectrum of europeans.