Poll: How was your college/uni experience?

baconsarnie

Jan 8, 2011
The only pieces of advice i'm going to give:
1. join clubs, join anything that you might like, even if you only do it once at least you saw if you really liked it rather than wondering what might have been.
2. you don't have to put up with shitty people, there will be enough people around for you to find good friends

leviathanmisha

Jun 21, 2009
Qwurty2.0 said:
Ok, to answer your questions first:

-What college/university did you attend/are currently enroll: I currently attend Southern Illinois University Edwardsville and I'm in my fourth year as an undergrad.

-What did you major in/what are thinking of majoring in: I'm majoring in History, while minoring in Creative Writing, and probably going to end up with a focus in French.

-Related to the poll and initial question, how would the rate the experience? Was it a chance to grow as a person or was it all hyped up BS: I would rate it between a 6 to 9 depending on the day and if anyone has pulled any sort of ridiculous bullshit. But overall, it was a chance for me to grow and make friends and become more of the person I want to be. Yeah, some parts of it are overhyped, but for the most part, college has been a sort of freeing experience for me.

-If you could do anything different, what would it be: I'm not sure I would do anything different. I mean yeah, I get annoyed at my school, cause some departments are incredibly incompetent, but overall, it's been pretty good.

-Any advice for a soon to be freshman: BREATHE! That first week of college is going to hit you like a ton of bricks, because no matter how ready you think you are, something will always come out of left field. Just roll with the punches until you see how it's all going to work out and you'll be just fine. I've been doing this for a few years now and every year, I see several freshman crash and burn early on because they suddenly have all this free time and no idea what to do with it. Also, no 8 AM classes. Like ever. Unless it's unavoidable.

You'll be fine, I have faith in you. You seem to have a general idea of what you want, which is honestly more than what a lot of incoming freshmen have at this point.

I wish you the best of luck.

Techno Squidgy

Nov 23, 2010
Well, my first attempt at Uni was a disaster. I was living in Halls but my life was still back home and I couldn't let go of my old life and my old friends to completely settle myself there. I struggled, ended up spending most of my time drunk or high just to cope with the stress and the loneliness I felt and the course failed to engage me enough to care. So after 6 months I finally woke up and realised that I wasn't on the right path, quit the course and came home. Since then I've been so much happier.

The story doesn't end there though. In September I go back to university, only this time, much closer. I'll be living at home, commuting to Uni each day, so I don't have to abandon my life to do what I want to do. I'll be studying something I'm genuinely passionate about, not just something I think I can make a career out of based on flawed logic and wishful thinking. This time I don't just think I'll do alright. I know I'm going to be successful this time.

EDIT: Forgot to answer your questions:
Where:
University of Portsmouth (failed)
University of Surrey (Start in September)

Studying:
Computer Games Technology (UoP)
Physics w/ Astronomy (UoS)

Experience:
Largely negative, but seriously helped me grow as a person, discover who I am and what's important to me. Also, I learnt a lot about drinking. Like the exact reason you should never attempt to down half a pint of vodka. Hoo boy, Freshers week was a learning experience...

Do anything different:
Yes, read the second paragraph.

Advice:
Find the balance between work and play, stay calm, get advice if you need it. There are loads of people who can help you if you need it or want it, your course leader, your lecturers, university staff...

Qwurty2.0

Apr 21, 2011
OmniscientOstrich said:
Less than brilliant. Consequently I quit.
What was so bad about it? Was it the students? the administration? Or was it you?

Details, man, details! Don't want you getting a low-content warning!

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
Qwurty2.0 said:
What was so bad about it? Was it the students? the administration? Or was it you?

Details, man, details! Don't want you getting a low-content warning!
Sorry, I probably shouldn't have really posted in this thread, I don't really want to go into it that much. Basically it was my fault, I was lazy, frightened and overwhelmed. I could've put in a lot more effort than I did, but I just really couldn't get acclimatised to the environment and I just ended up getting depressed. My life really hasn't been on track/on the ball since I was about 18. I've pretty much just spent the last 3 years treading water. I guess one thing I can contribute to this thread is just try to make more of an effort than I did and really put yourself out there, make the effort to try and get to know people; find some kind of club/activity/common interest/whatever and really crack down and study when you need to. Don't procrastinate. It's platitudinous and it's advice I couldn't/can't really follow myself, but I still think it's worth keeping in mind at least. Sorry I can't be of much help, hopefully you'll have a better experience of it than I did.

The Hero Killer

Aug 9, 2010
Living on campus was great but I ended up nearly being suspended due to a lazy underestimation of the school work, chose the wrong major, and stayed locked up in my room instead of making memories.