Poll: I hate all the Mega Man games

123fendas

Dec 29, 2014
I HATE MEGA MAN! It's so hard. All the games! I haven't beaten a single Mega Man game. I've beaten all the robot masters in Mega Man 2, but not Dr. Wily's castle!
I tried Mega Man 1, but it was too hard.

I tried Mega Man 4, because every1 said it was the easiest Mega Man game! But it wasn't!!!!!
Drill Man's stage AND himself IS SOOOOO HAAAAARD. The Mega Buster did like 0.5 damage on him!!
I also tried Mega Man X, but IT WAS SO HARD TOOOO. I actually made it to two bosses, but I COULDN'T DEFEAT THEM!!

When I shot Chill Penguin's ice shots, THE SCREEN WENT TO THE PASSWORD SCREEN AND BACK TO THE MAVERICK SCREEN!!!!!!!!!

GAAAAAAAH.

I like Mega Man in general, but the games?! I HATE THEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEM.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
All of them? Even the Battle Network series? ;)

I'll be the first to admit that, while the games are pretty impressively designed for their time, the games can get pretty bullshit when it comes to difficulty. I like the games (and love X), but Nintendo Hard has its flaws.

Prince of Ales

Nov 5, 2014
Megaman X isn't too hard I don't think. I guess I've played that one a bit more than the others. It gets a lot easier if you get a good order through the levels. Mostly that means matching the weaknesses, but that's not always the easiest path.

Start with Chill Penguin as you won't get far without the Dash, and the boss is easy enough; he can't hit you while you're up in the top corners so just wait for a free shot and then go hide while he's flapping around below. If you follow the weaknesses now you'd go for Spark Mandrill, but the stage and the mini-boss can be tough. Much easier to go for Storm Eagle as you can pick up everything from this stage (Health upgrade, Sub-T and the Headbutt). For the boss you've just got to time a dash every time he dives at you, then lay in to him when he lands. After that go Flame Mammoth; the lava will be cooled off so you've got an easy route through the stage, and you can pick up the X-buster upgrade (having both the Dash and the Headbutt). The boss gets stunlocked by the Tornados if you time it right, so he's cake. Only then do I go Spark Mandrill; the electric floor will be cut off making the stage easier, and you can one-shot the mini-boss with a fully charged tornado. Again you can stunlock the boss (use Shotgun Ice) so should be easy. After that just follow the weaknesses: Armadillo (use electric) -> Octopus (use the rolling things) -> Boomer (use homing missiles) -> Chameleon (use boomerangs).

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I definitely have always found MegaMan to be hard, and largely not in the fun way. It's a lot of repetition to learn where enemies spawn, what patterns to use to avoid damage, what weapons to use on which bosses, etc. Not really my cup of tea. I actually found the X series to be much better at providing a fun form of the MegaMan formula and would recommend you play that instead if you like the concept of MegaMan but find the original series to not be to your liking.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
The thing I love about these games is that the difficulty tends to depend heavily on the amount of time you spend experimenting with the special weapons. Of course, the obvious example would be using the right weapon against the right boss, but these weapons also have their uses throughout the stages.
I recall playing Megaman 1 in front of a friend of mine, who is a diehard fan. In the first stage of Wily's Castle, I had to bypass a bunch of huge jumping robots that do massive damage if they touch you, and seem to randomly switch between low and high hops. My friend laughed and went, "Hah! Good luck with this part." On a hunch, I then used Ice Man's weapon to freeze each one in the air and run safely under them, no risk required. You feel like such a genius when you figure out ways to exploit a level using special weapons.

Another example was in the first level of Sigma's Fortress in X, where I had to hop from platform to platform while flying enemies tried to knock me off. By charging Armored Armadillo's weapon, I created a barrier that destroyed every flying enemy that tried to touch me and made traversing the stage a breeze. I soon realized how OP that thing can be. Unlike most barrier weapons, it cost no energy to maintain, and only went away if I touched an enemy strong enough to survive the impact. It also shielded me from most projectiles. The only downside was I couldn't shoot while I had it active.

VincentX3

Jun 30, 2009
The amount of votes that say it's hard actually surprises me in a bad way.

Being a hardcore Megaman fan, beaten ALL the games (Including the Zero, Battle Network, Starforce, ZX, etc)
I would have to say no. There not hard. It's mostly practice and getting better and not rushing through the games expecting to be handheld all the way through.

Also how old are you? If you started with Megaman X original and are complaining then... wow. It's mostly the easiest in the X series. You also had to be born back in the day to really appreciate the game for what it was, unlike today's games that mostly hold your hand and have regenerating health (Of course not all of them, you get the point)

All in all, practice, get better and don't rush.

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
Don't worry about it, it's ok to be wrong sometimes, no one will judge you for it.

But in all seriousness, they probably are just not your game. That is totally fine, not everyone likes the sort of challenge a game like Mega Man brings to the table.

P.S. Despite what you might have heard, caps lock is not cruise control for cool.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
VincentX3 said:
Being a hardcore Megaman fan, beaten ALL the games (Including the Zero, Battle Network, Starforce, ZX, etc)
I would have to say no. There not hard.
I have to agree with this for the most part. The only Mega Man games I say would be difficult are Mega Man 1, if only for technical reason when compared to others in the series, and Mega Man and Bass which can be just damn bullshit at points. *glares at King Plane which is bullshit when playing as Mega Man*

Really Mega Man games just take practice, and you can't always just rush in head first without thinking things through a little, especially with Robot Masters/Mavericks. I mean hell, when I first played Mega Man X I chose Sting Chameleon as the first Maverick to take down...that was a huge mistake. :p

Not to mention, there are many other Mega Man games that you could try out. There's the Legends series which isn't difficult really (unless played on the hardest difficulty), the Battle Network series, the ZX series, etc. The X or Classic series just may not be the right series for you.

Reasonable Atheist

Mar 6, 2012
you aint seen nothing yet, try rockman world, the black and white brick gameboy cartridge. My current room mate lent it to me late in our high school years and I am proud to say i triumphed over it!

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
VincentX3 said:
I would have to say no. There not hard. It's mostly practice and getting better and not rushing through the games expecting to be handheld all the way through.
If you have to practice to beat it, it's a hard game.

VincentX3

Jun 30, 2009
Neronium said:
VincentX3 said:
I would have to say no. There not hard.
I have to agree with this for the most part. The only Mega Man games I say would be difficult are Mega Man 1, if only for technical reason when compared to others in the series, and Mega Man and Bass which can be just damn bullshit at points. *glares at King Plane which is bullshit when playing as Mega Man*

Really Mega Man games just take practice, and you can't always just rush in head first without thinking things through a little, especially with Robot Masters/Mavericks. I mean hell, when I first played Mega Man X I chose Sting Chameleon as the first Maverick to take down...that was a huge mistake. :p

Not to mention, there are many other Mega Man games that you could try out. There's the Legends series which isn't difficult really (unless played on the hardest difficulty), the Battle Network series, the ZX series, etc. The X or Classic series just may not be the right series for you.
Agreed.

Most all Megaman games give you options, to start off with the boss\stage you want too (Even if it's not optimal) so of course, they're easier and harder ways to play each game.

Even the Battle Network and Starforce (And Legends to a lesser extent) being the most different have RPG elements that allow you to go back and build your character more before advancing on the story.

So like Neronium and I said, It's mostly changing your strategy and overcoming the games in different ways.

Also just advice, unless you get really good in the future ( And I mean that seriously) DO NOT go into the Zero series. It's basically the X series on steroids. (Want the boss's skill when you beat him? WELL TOO BAD! Because you better not get hit at all, get an S Rank and not damage the boss's main core during the whole fight)

VincentX3

Jun 30, 2009
Denamic said:
VincentX3 said:
If you have to practice to beat it, it's a hard game.
*Slowclap*

So all game's are hard then? By your logic, they are.
Guess Mario is even to hard by that logic.

SuperSuperSuperGuy

Jun 19, 2010
Yeah, MegaMan was pretty hard at first, but that's kind of what made it engaging in a lot of ways. There were some bullshit parts, but that's kind of par for the course for old NES games. The newer series, such as Megaman X, did away with a lot of the bullshit by giving you a lot more in terms of movement options and retooling a lot of the general level design, but kept the difficulty pretty high for boss fights.

The thing about MegaMan boss fights is that they run on patterns. The main challenge to fighting them is to figure out how the patterns go, and what the best way of dealing with them are. Once you figure that out, the boss fights become battles of attrition. That's not even taking into account the bosses' weaknesses; weaknesses tend to take the difficulty down significantly.

Really, the difficulty of a MegaMan game is pretty much proportional to the amount of time you're willing to put into them. They're heavily based on memorization and practice.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
One thing I really hate about both the classic series and X is the enemies respawning literally as soon as the screen scrolls past their locations. I find that to be extremely lame fake difficulty on hardware as powerful as the PS1. I am a modest fan of the X series, though.

Mega Man is an acquired taste. Maybe because Capcom had drawn out the X series and both of its sequel series and took so long to make proper classic sequels, many of the original fans went on to new things. And there was no one left to fill the void, so they put him on hiatus.

In MMX, I can say for sure Chill Penguin is the first Maverick to go for, as he is easy if you stay on the walls most of the time and jump down to give him an X-buster kiss. Just practice and watch his patterns. The impossible to avoid dash upgrade from Chill's stage then makes Storm Eagle a joke, and your reward for beating him, the Storm Tornado, is so OP that you won't want to use any other weapon most of the time. After taking care of both feather brains, you should be able to follow a boss weakness chart. With that knowledge and all of the sub and heart tanks, only the last three bosses should kinda hard. (And if you master the Hadoken, only the last boss is a threat, as he's the only enemy immune to it.)

Kotaro

Desdinova's Successor
Feb 3, 2009
The Mega Man games are challenging, yes, but they're all well-designed and the controls are so spot-on that every death is your own fault. You just need to take some time to practice. You'll get better.
Don't rush through. Take it slowly, pay attention to your surroundings, and be careful, and you'll do fine.

VincentX3

Jun 30, 2009
Hairless Mammoth said:
One thing I really hate about both the classic series and X is the enemies respawning literally as soon as the screen scrolls past their locations. I find that to be extremely lame fake difficulty on hardware as powerful as the PS1. I am a modest fan of the X series, though.
True. Respawning enemies on most games is usually frowned on.

BUT at least with the Megaman Series you could use that to your advantage by:

-Kill all enemies
-Go Forward and Back one screen
-Kill all enemies again, pick up health.
-Fill up Subtanks
-Profit

So even if it was kinda icky to have constantly respawning enemies between screens, it was still a mechanic that could be used to your advantage to make your run easier.

Avalanche91

Jan 8, 2009
Yes but with an asterisk. The core games are pretty damn difficult. I myself only beat Megaman 2 out of a obligation of pride towards M2, it being the first game I ever played.

The Battle Network series however? A lot more forgiving.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
VincentX3 said:

-Kill all enemies
-Fill up Subtanks
-Profit

So even if it was kinda icky to have constantly respawning enemies between screens, it was still a mechanic that could be used to your advantage to make your run easier.
I've taken advantage of that plenty of times, especially with the one classic bat, that drops extra lives like crazy, in Armored Armadillo's stage in MMX. But, I prefer camping by a infinite mook maker to fill sub tanks, rather that get knocked into a pit or bed of anti-robot spikes.

I guess it's just the "practice and learn the enemy layout" mentality of the games that wins out whenever they make a new one. I'd bet Mighty No. 9 will have that mechanic in place.

VincentX3

Jun 30, 2009
Hairless Mammoth said:
VincentX3 said:

-Kill all enemies
-Fill up Subtanks
-Profit

I've taken advantage of that plenty of times, especially with the one classic bat, that drops extra lives like crazy, in Armored Armadillo's stage in MMX. But, I prefer camping by a infinite mook maker to fill sub tanks, rather that get knocked into a pit or bed of anti-robot spikes.

I guess it's just the "practice and learn the enemy layout" mentality of the games that wins out whenever they make a new one. I'd bet Mighty No. 9 will have that mechanic in place.
The quote was mostly for the OP to notice and read (Which I'm not sure if he's still reading any of this) so he\she can get by the games a bit easier.

If you really think about it, without the respawning enemies the game as a whole wouldn't work, since back then, people weren't as experienced as most people are today and we're bound to get hit more often and die faster. Not to mention the whole Subtank system as a whole wouldn't work since there would be no way to get health without taking damage.

I just might do a thread on everyone's favorite Megaman game series, now I'm a bit curious.

EDIT: And Done http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.867873-Poll-Your-favorite-Megaman-Series#21714806