Poll: I think there's something wrong with me.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
For those of you who know me, I'm sure you're already aware I have many issues (don't we all?), but I'm sure you've never heard anyone say anything like this.

Whenever I see a female involved with anything to do with games, a small part of my mind automatically goes "WTF". Of course I don't think this is right at all. But growing up with someone like MY sister has programmed a very stupid fact into my mind. The average girl does not like to play games. This is not due to a lack of contact of course (I'm not THAT much of a social outcast), but it just doesn't feel right. Of course, I have nothing wrong with women being in games, in fact like every average teenager, I prefer it.

Do you think this is right?

EDIT: I want to make it clear I have nothing wrong with playing online with girls, just something in the back of my mind goes off every time I do.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
Well, it's kinda changes your perspective about it when you play a lot with female gamers. I use to think it was pretty awkward for girls and women to take pleasure out curb-stomping their enemies; now I suppose I would find it pretty awful for my family pets to take pleasure out of hurting my feelings in games. asdas8y6A*(D^^&@(^(*@#$*@(# ... damnit, get off the keyboard Spoonie!

Sep 5, 2009
It wears a little on the trash talk, you know? It's quite natural to call one of your male friends a camping ass-spelunker, but not quite so easy with the ladies. Other than that, no, I have no issue with it.

ae86gamer

Mar 10, 2009
I'm a girl who plays video games so..

Anyways, I think its fine if a girl plays video games. If she sucks then thats a whole different conversation.

SultanP

Mar 15, 2009
I don't mind girls playing games either

ae86gamer said:
I'm a girl who plays video games so..

Anyways, I think its fine if a girl plays video games. If she sucks then thats a whole different conversation.
Too true. You just reminded me of when my brother's girlfriend plays computer. Last time I watched her play World of Warcraft I was actually cringing due to how much she sucked.

katsa5

Aug 10, 2009
Speaking as a gamer girl, this is actually quite common. I once joined a DnD game in college, and there was that one guy that clearly (at least to me) thought of me as an intruder. We became friends when I shared a meal with him. My theory has always been that guys like having their own play areas that no one shall intrude in. You know, a place where guys can be guys and no girls allowed. And its ok.
As long as the girl contributes and does not take over. In the meantime, its ok to have that feeling, but don't act on it.

Vanbael

Arctic fox and BACON lover
Jun 13, 2009
It has no difference for me. I know girls who game, and I know one who is way better than me. Even if a girl is in game with me, I will still stick to my mantra "if its on the other team, kill it"

Shadowfaze

Jul 15, 2009
i like it when girls join in with video games and such, or even dnd. it makes it more interesting.

afaceforradio

Jul 29, 2009
MercurySteam said:
For those of you who know me, I'm sure you're already aware I have many issues (don't we all?), but I'm sure you've never heard anyone say anything like this.

Whenever I see a female involved with anything to do with games, a small part of my mind automatically goes "WTF". Of course I don't think this is right at all. But growing up with someone like MY sister has programmed a very stupid fact into my mind. The average girl does not like to play games. This is not due to a lack of contact of course (I'm not THAT much of a social outcast), but it just doesn't feel right. Of course, I have nothing wrong with women being in games, in fact like every average teenager, I prefer it.

Do you think this is right?
I'm a girl gamer and I pretty much piss off and/or freak out every bloke I've ever played against. Why? Because they don't like feeling that a woman can beat them at something 'boys' are meant to like and not girls. I'm not a girlpower-ite or anything, but you need to have that bit o' your brain REMOVED ;o) hehe

SultanP

Mar 15, 2009
katsa5 said:
... and there was that one guy that clearly (at least to me) thought of me as an intruder. We became friends when I shared a meal with him....
You make that guy sound like some sort of animal. Like visiting a friend whose dog is reproachful of you until you give it a biscuit.

Bernzz

Assumed Lurker
Legacy
Mar 27, 2009
Country
Australia
My girlfriend plays Grand Theft Auto, and was in fact describing to me the way she sits in a high spot with a roof, so she can snipe people below and blow their heads off, while the roof is there to protect from helicopters.

Asking her out was the best decision I ever made.

Xojins

Jan 7, 2008
I don't mind it... it's just that the girls I've played with generally aren't as good.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
katsa5 said:
Speaking as a gamer girl, this is actually quite common. I once joined a DnD game in college, and there was that one guy that clearly (at least to me) thought of me as an intruder. We became friends when I shared a meal with him. My theory has always been that guys like having their own play areas that no one shall intrude in. You know, a place where guys can be guys and no girls allowed. And its ok.
As long as the girl contributes and does not take over. In the meantime, its ok to have that feeling, but don't act on it.
I don't have a problem with playing online with girls, but i guess I'm just not used to it. It's easy to play with males since the majority of them are used to recieving and handing out shit to other players as often as they frag. So no, I'm not sexist, cause if I was I would have a problem with playng online with girls, but I don't. I've never had the feeling of getting beaten by a girl, but if I did I suppose I'd just give them a round of appplause, cause I don't believe in treating people differently due to their race or sex.