Poll: I think you just broke the game!

toadking07

Sep 10, 2009
So you're playing this game right, and it's really challenging, calling for a lot of strategy and planning, maybe you're even dying a lot. Then suddenly, by shear chance something dawns on you, something you haven't tried before, something the developers DIDN'T want you to try. Suddenly that challenging part of the game, basically beats itself!

Congrads! You just broke the game!

What I'm talking about is that epic battle that came down to you hiding in a corner where the Boss Monster couldn't reach you while you whittle away its health with a pistol. I'm talking about that power up combination that was so unbalanced whole armies fell at your feet! I'm talking about that time you beat the level in less than 1 minute!

So enough about what I'm talking about, what are you talking about? What are some ways/games you've broken before? Short cuts, glitches, dumb AI, poor game design, you name it and share it here!

delet

Nov 2, 2008
Disgaea. All of Disgaea. It's not really even fair considering the game wants you to break it...

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
I usually find a glitch whenever i play games. Unless a particular boss is pissing me off then it exploitation times ahead.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
I've done this before. There's a glitch in Heli Attack 2 that let's you not get hit, but you can still hit the Helicopters with the seeking missile. It's also good for dodging that one shot that tends to hit you when you hide in the cave.

Dr. Danger

Let's Talk Lobotomy
Dec 24, 2008
I break every game I play. Whether it means tediously climbing over something so that I might skip an entire line of baddies or whether it means I shove myself into the tiniest nook so that nobody can get to me. More of the former though. I'm a notorious climber. Give me the ability to jump and I will find my way out of the map.

On the other hand, I'm so good at breaking the game in that manner that I often fall off the map itself. Notable problem games for this were Assassin's Creed and I managed to find a way below the map in Crackdown on my own.

MONSTERheart

Aug 17, 2009
You can easily break a lot of flash games.

I'm trying to think of actual video games where I've done this, though...

I recall doing some weird stuff in Battlefield 2. (Note that I said Battlefield 2, not Battlefield Bad Company 2)
Definitely sure I messed around with some stuff in Super Mario 64.
There's all sorts of stuff you can do in the Halo games.

feather240

Jul 16, 2009
Oblivion was just pitiful. Enemy AI couldn't find their down a chimney. "Up on a rooftop "click" "click", down comes good bladed kicks."

A_Parked_Car

Oct 30, 2009
I quickly find the best ways to wipe the floor with the battle AI in the Total War games. The most noteworthy example is in Empire siege battles. Just make a "noob circle" in the middle of the fort and he can throw as many troops as he wants at you and you will always win.

youkokitsune

Aug 30, 2008
ok not sure if this fits

but while playing fatal frame one you run across the blinded (you'll know her when you see her)
anyhow shes blind so i held still and flatenend her time after time when she couldnt find me and left me with a chance to zero shot her.

no one else ive talked too seems to have figured this out and right before the last fight with her is the only time you get a clue that this works.

demoman_chaos

May 25, 2009
Demon Souls, I got the Flamelurker (who was a major pain first time around) stuck on a large bone and pelted him with arrows from the other side of it. He did nothing but run forward, but was stuck on the bone. It was an easy victory to say the least.

Jfswift

Hmm.. what's this button do?
Nov 2, 2009
Ha! I found a glitch in the original Suikoden on PS1 which enabled me to raise something like 500,000 dollars to fund my armies with. (first time the lady with the stone under cups game appears).

Another time I was playing Mech Warrior 2 and instead of battling it out in this city to reach a power generator I built this tiny little mech with a massively oversized engine, charged in at crazy speed, shot it with my one laser and ran out. Fastest level I ever played.

Mech Warrior 3, just as broken. Here's the formula for success. 3 PPC's, add heatsinks, aim for leg. Game Over.

LimitedPunctuation

Apr 20, 2010
this isn't really an exploit or whatever, seeing as it was an item fully in the context of the game...
but in FFVII against the boss with the gun arm, the guy that used to be barret's friend?
yea, you can one shot him with a bomb arm :)

ffs-dontcare

Aug 13, 2009
Brings to mind this thread [http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=23425764673&sid=1] on the WoW Mage forums. It's the closest you can get to game breaking in WoW, basically.

Check this YouTube page out [http://www.youtube.com/user/Faxmonkeyx], it shows long-time Mage Faxmonkey pulling off what one might consider game breaking situations, like soloing dungeon/raid bosses. :p

There has also been times in Painkiller where enemies get stuck behind physics-affected stuff while I pick them off with my stake launcher but it's all good.

feather240

Jul 16, 2009
MONSTERheart said:
You can easily break a lot of flash games.

I'm trying to think of actual video games where I've done this, though...

I recall doing some weird stuff in Battlefield 2. (Note that I said Battlefield 2, not Battlefield Bad Company 2)
Definitely sure I messed around with some stuff in Super Mario 64.
There's all sorts of stuff you can do in the Halo games.
BF2 with a sniper rifle at the top of a giant tower. Oh no, I saw an artillery strike go off! I'll just move two feet back and wait it out. Snipe, snipe, hide, snipe, snipe, hide, snipe...

imaloony

Nov 19, 2009
I got infinite caps and 10mm ammo in Fallout 3. I just used the Sydney's 10mm SMG glitch. Good times.

ethaninja

Oct 14, 2009
Yeah I remember one game you had to survive for X amount of time, there was a little gap where nothing could get to you. I just waited there. This was after a large amount of tries trying to play it properly.

Aug 25, 2009
A_Parked_Car said:
I quickly find the best ways to wipe the floor with the battle AI in the Total War games. The most noteworthy example is in Empire siege battles. Just make a "noob circle" in the middle of the fort and he can throw as many troops as he wants at you and you will always win.
Yeah I remember doing that too, only I'd let them break a few wholes in my wall, then just do the sparta defense from 300. In the end I was holding off 1000 soldiers with like 100 spearmen.

irishdelinquent

Jan 29, 2008
Really?!

I'm really the first one to mention the Cinnabar Island glitch in Pokemon Red and Blue?!

Sweet! That glitch made the game a cake-walk. What's that, level 100 pokemon across the board, fully drugged out and all caught with master balls? You better believe it, Rival!

Corven

Forever Gonzo
Sep 10, 2008
Not really sure if this counts but ( I suppose killing the final boss of the game before the other does kind of count), in demon's souls I killed the false king right after killing my first arch demon(Storm King), so I got the nicely overpowered demonbrandt early on, the rest of the worlds were a cake walk afterwards, Until NG+ where even a simple arrow could kill me...